U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2010, 12:42 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,108,833 times

Advertisements

The bible is very expensive. Kierkegaard wrote that if you put you finger in it it will take your hand, and if you put your hand in it it will take your arm. One could easily recommend to another to stay away from it and spend your money on detective novels.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 04:40 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,108,833 times
Well, I have been posting a few things on other threads, and if you are still interested, and I can't imagine that you still are after such a long time has past, it would seem, as I have come to learn, that one can be a christian without the bible at all. So don't waste a dime and have one of these no bible christians bring you into all the founts of non-biblical christian thought. Course, I don't suppose they have much thought. But I suppose one could set around with dreamy eyes and cry and feel tingly all inside about all the love. Talk about love, experience love-man that can be had for free! Maybe even become a mystic and have direct revelation-pot does it for Indians (I think that is expensive too; but I don't know, again, I don't have any experience with that). Then I have found that there are christians who only need part of the bible. So maybe you could find a condensed version. Maybe the Oprah book club has one if the Reader's Digest dumped theirs-perhaps a garage sale, but then one would need a car and gas. Might be cheaper to by a whole used one and read it through and just black out all the stuff you don't like or that just doesn't fit with your common sense view of the world. Maybe your significant other could help at getting rid of the false passages. Dice might work. Stay away from theology though. The vibes I am getting is that god hates that and prefers stupidity. Or regular christianity. Good predestination.....errrrrr, I mean good luck.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:50 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,187,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Great gift! The Bible she gave you will tell you about a gift that is totally utterly priceless. I'd spend some time reading it. Start in the book of John...

Bud
Now that is true!!

Old 01-26-2010, 06:16 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,187,278 times
I say hold on to it for dear life! There's soon coming a day where that $3.00 dollars, $10.00 dollars, be it $50.00 or free BOOK, is going to be worth far more than silver, or gold! (PS: I'm not talking monetary value either)...........

Old 01-28-2010, 04:55 PM

25,084 posts, read 13,241,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquills View Post
I am just curious how much does a bible cost? They arn't totally free at a Church are they?

My girlfriend got me just a bible for Christmas. I went out and bought her earrings, clothes, dinner at a expensive restaurant, and more. I spent well over 250 for her, and she got me a bible. I think it is a used bible too.

She is trying to get me inducted into her church thing, and tells me that we can't get engaged unless I do, and bla bla bla. However, did she really just get me nothing for Christmas? Please tell me they are selling them for atleast over 50 dollars?
A Bible can be very expensive depending on the features. I mean is it a study Bible, a Bible that includes a commentary, dictionary or concordance. Is it Hebrew or Greek. What size is it? Is it leather or engraved. I could go on, but hopefully u see my point. The most expensive Bible I have is about $150.00. However, I think u can get a nice very nice Bible for about $70.00. Now about her religion- I would not join her faith if I did not personally believe as she did. Maybe u want to think long and hard about being with this woman.. Good luck

Old 01-28-2010, 05:18 PM

305 posts, read 291,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquills View Post
I am just curious how much does a bible cost? They arn't totally free at a Church are they?

My girlfriend got me just a bible for Christmas. I went out and bought her earrings, clothes, dinner at a expensive restaurant, and more. I spent well over 250 for her, and she got me a bible. I think it is a used bible too.

She is trying to get me inducted into her church thing, and tells me that we can't get engaged unless I do, and bla bla bla. However, did she really just get me nothing for Christmas? Please tell me they are selling them for atleast over 50 dollars?
hehe! I doubt that she meant to offend...you should talk to her about it - and try to understand why she got you a Bible. If you enjoyed her company up to this point, it may be worth the investment to figure out the reason for the bible as a gift. I don't know of a Bible costing $50, but I have seen very nice ones for as much as $40 - leatherbound with very nice parchment.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:52 PM

3,017 posts, read 5,243,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
The most expensive Bible I have is about $150.00.
They saw you comin'...

Old 01-31-2010, 03:15 PM

3,772 posts, read 9,011,357 times
The Bible is an eternal investment.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:22 PM

27,163 posts, read 17,899,691 times
Nothing in comparison to the cost of our salvation .

Old 03-02-2010, 02:55 PM

6,412 posts, read 4,693,789 times
It depends on what type of Bible you get, where you get it, and perhaps when you get it. (You might get it on a clearance day at some stores.) Many Churches will give you a free Bible. A lot of the times though, it is only the New Testament.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity