Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 08:07 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
She is right for getting you a Bible.

She is wrong for being involved with you if you're a non-believer, and she is a true believer. The Bible says no to this.

Obviously your materialistic and she is lacking discernment.
Nope, she's just cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 09:12 PM

593 posts, read 890,418 times
The bible is a priceless gift and may have taken some courage to give it to you if your perhaps an
unbeliever. The word of God (bible) has little to do with religion. Jesus wasn't religious. Man after
Jesus manufactured multiple religons some having elements of true biblical emphasis others just
nonsense. To answer your question you should get at least $15 for a used "red letter"edition (red
letter highlites what Jesus said specifically") It was nice of you to treat your girlfriend like you did.
You seem to be a good guy. In Christ, Dave the Jesus Freak

Old 12-27-2009, 11:31 PM

478 posts, read 773,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquills View Post
I am just curious how much does a bible cost? They arn't totally free at a Church are they?

My girlfriend got me just a bible for Christmas. I went out and bought her earrings, clothes, dinner at a expensive restaurant, and more. I spent well over 250 for her, and she got me a bible. I think it is a used bible too.

She is trying to get me inducted into her church thing, and tells me that we can't get engaged unless I do, and bla bla bla. However, did she really just get me nothing for Christmas? Please tell me they are selling them for atleast over 50 dollars?
OK come on, you have to admit you're being a little toolish about worrying how much a bible costs, as if it matters. Would you like it more if you knew it was expensive?!? Doubt it. And I have to say it's a little disturbing that you seem more concerned about the value of the bible than you are about the fact that this woman, who you are obviously serious with wants to convert you to her religion...?!? But that having been said, as jerky as you may be acting about the value of the damn thing, I'd say she is being just as jerky, if not more so, for getting you a present that was about what SHE wanted for you and not what she thought would make you happy. Which is what giving a gift is (or should be) about.

Now additionally, I agree with Btrja:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btrja View Post
You both need to walk away. I can promise you that unless one of you compromises your beliefs you will both be miserable. With that said though, the best of luck to you both.
Yeah, you guys are doomed if you continue in a relationship where right off the bat one person wants to change the other. It sure sounds like you not only do not share her spiritual views, nor do you respect them- but obviously she isn't respecting YOUR feelings about them at all either, or she wouldn't give you an ultimatum like that...

Old 12-28-2009, 05:54 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquills View Post
Well, I should be playing with a new IPod touch, or playing a new Wii Game. Instead I got this boring book. I will look for where it states that she shouldn't be with me. Thanks for your judgments.

I don't care if it is materialistic. I bust my hump and dipped into my savings for her. She picked up a free book one Sunday morning. Its cheap. I don't care what she believes in, but the gift of giving is not one of her values.
Perhaps you should examine why it is you feel she didn't SPEND ENOUGH on you.....I've always been taught that it isn't the amount that is spent on a gift but it is the thought behind the gift that counts. You sound more like a recalcitrant child than an adult with the attitude you've displayed by your post.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:08 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,895 times
Why are you even serious about this person? It is a disaster in the making. I mean come on! Giving a Bible as a xmas gift to a guy who is not even into religion....it was obviously a very self serving thing for her to do. She is probably expecting some big spiritual reward for the good deed of giving her heathen boyfriend the Holy Bible! I think you need to have a talk with her and say "Look, if we are going to be a couple for the long term then you need to keep religion out of it." I know people who are in successful relationships with one being a church goer and the other not. BUT the churchy one needs to realize that they can't convert everyone.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Perhaps you should examine why it is you feel she didn't SPEND ENOUGH on you.....I've always been taught that it isn't the amount that is spent on a gift but it is the thought behind the gift that counts. You sound more like a recalcitrant child than an adult with the attitude you've displayed by your post.

You honestly can't see why he'd be upset? She KNOWS he is not religious and gave him a bible! It was very selfish of her! It would make him feel a little better knowing that it pinched her pocket to buy it! She didn't buy it for him...she bought it to satisfy herself.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
Nope, she's just cheap.

Nothing worse than a cheap fanatic!

Old 12-28-2009, 08:02 AM

110 posts, read 261,679 times
Buying a Bible for someone she knows does not believe was very passive aggressive. Getting bogged down in how much it cost misses the point. A gift should be about the recipient, not the giver. I can understand why you are hurt. She knew you did not want a Bible for Christmas and bought it anyway because she wants you to change. This "gift" was not only self-serving but also told the recipient "you better change". How did she expect you to feel opening that "present"?

Beyond that, I agree with the above posters who recommended that you end the relationship. You need to find someone who respects your beliefs, and she needs to find someone who is Christian. Neither one of you is likely to change your beliefs and that will only lead to more problems down the road.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:43 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
You honestly can't see why he'd be upset? She KNOWS he is not religious and gave him a bible! It was very selfish of her! It would make him feel a little better knowing that it pinched her pocket to buy it! She didn't buy it for him...she bought it to satisfy herself.
His Post: I don't care if it is materialistic. I bust my hump and dipped into my savings for her. She picked up a free book one Sunday morning. Its cheap. I don't care what she believes in, but the gift of giving is not one of her values.

No, I saw how PO'd he was because she gave him a cheap gift instead of an IPod, etc. He seems like a very materialistic person and even admits as much in his post....he spent his savings and all she gave him was a book. Like I said, it's the thought of a gift that counts and not how much it cost in dollars.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:38 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,697,497 times
...Any one can tell this thread is a .....thread. Soon as I read it!

It truly is amazing how satan gets people sucked into these kind of things! This thread is doing nothing but drawing a contentious spirit!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity