U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 03:29 PM

2,739 posts, read 7,283,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
why the challenge?----if you need to find out about catholicism and its teachings inrelation to the bible----most catholic churches have bible study groups open to the public

Why not a challenge? The forum is a place for discussion, so why not go ahead and discuss it? Akrunner88 has made a very broad, all-encompassing, blanket statement: "Everything the Catholic Church teaches can easily be proved by support from the Bible". I read that and was like "oh, really?" And: "well...ok...if it can be easily proved...then go ahead...I'm listening..."

The word "everything" means just exactly that: everything. While I agree with some of the things the Catholic Church teaches (the Trinity, for example), I don't believe all that it teaches. Therefore, I just don't accept Akrunner88's statement at surface value as being totally the truth...I want proof. He said it could be "easily proved". If it can be easily proved (as stated), then let's have it...show us...let's discuss it. I'm interested in seeing why he believes the way he does. How did he come to that conclusion? What Christian background, teaching, etc, does he have? How many denominations has he attended? What Bible colleges, seminaries, etc has he attended? I'm interested in why anyone would believe their particular faith/denomination is 100% correct. (as his statement implies) If he (or anyone else) can convince me, then I'll switch to his church. And, if not, well...I'll stick with my non-denominational status.

One could have substituted the word "Baptist, Methodist, Episcopal, Lutheran, Pentacostal, Nazarene, etc, etc" in place of "Catholic Church" in that statement. Q: Is everything they teach easily proven, by support from the Bible? Probably not. (although some might claim that)

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 03:57 PM

2,739 posts, read 7,283,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKrunner88 View Post
Ask me a question. Please don't ask obvious questions though, like questions about Mary that every Protestant knows but refuses to listen to.

Fair enough. Let's start with just a few questions:

Why do Catholics believe in the office of "Pope", when the word "pope" isn't in the Bible even one time? IE: how do you make a doctrine out of something that isn't in the Bible? "Pope" wasn't even mentioned in the letters of the epistles to the churches, dated some 60-70 years A.D., decades after Jesus was crucified and risen. Why do Catholics feel there is an unbroken "chain" of Popes going back all the way to Apostle Peter? Seems to me, whenever a Pope dies, the "chain" is pretty much broken right then. And, why do they believe Peter was a "Pope"? The Bible says "Apostle" Peter...

Why do Catholics believe they are the "first" and only church, when it is obvious that the Ethiopian church, which is still alive and well today, was started way back when the Apostles were still alive? "Pope" Peter did not start that church. It is said that the converted eunich (eunich to the Queen of Sheba), took Christianity to Ethiopia. They even claim to have the original Ark of the Covenant, hidden away in one of their churches, guarded 24/7 by their priests...
Acts 8 Commentary - Philip and the Ethiopian Eunuch - BibleGateway.com

I have a number of Catholics in my own family, cousins, inlaws, etc, so it would be good if I understood where you all are coming from...

Bud

Old 12-28-2009, 06:34 PM

2,558 posts, read 4,795,061 times
I guess the link is empty because our snowy Sunday is past and the church closings isn't important now!

The point is almost every church in the area was closed on Sunday except for the RC Churches. Our church was open even when the power was out in the whole city. We just bundled up and went to Mass in the light of the candles.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:49 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,658,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Why not a challenge? The forum is a place for discussion, so why not go ahead and discuss it? Akrunner88 has made a very broad, all-encompassing, blanket statement: "Everything the Catholic Church teaches can easily be proved by support from the Bible". I read that and was like "oh, really?" And: "well...ok...if it can be easily proved...then go ahead...I'm listening..."

The word "everything" means just exactly that: everything. While I agree with some of the things the Catholic Church teaches (the Trinity, for example), I don't believe all that it teaches. Therefore, I just don't accept Akrunner88's statement at surface value as being totally the truth...I want proof. He said it could be "easily proved". If it can be easily proved (as stated), then let's have it...show us...let's discuss it. I'm interested in seeing why he believes the way he does. How did he come to that conclusion? What Christian background, teaching, etc, does he have? How many denominations has he attended? What Bible colleges, seminaries, etc has he attended? I'm interested in why anyone would believe their particular faith/denomination is 100% correct. (as his statement implies) If he (or anyone else) can convince me, then I'll switch to his church. And, if not, well...I'll stick with my non-denominational status.

One could have substituted the word "Baptist, Methodist, Episcopal, Lutheran, Pentacostal, Nazarene, etc, etc" in place of "Catholic Church" in that statement. Q: Is everything they teach easily proven, by support from the Bible? Probably not. (although some might claim that)

Bud
Perhaps he was implying that Catholics believe our tradition is supported by scripture.

Frankly, not ALL traditions of ALL beliefs are found verbatim in scripture.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:52 AM

3,540 posts, read 5,658,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
I guess the link is empty because our snowy Sunday is past and the church closings isn't important now!

The point is almost every church in the area was closed on Sunday except for the RC Churches. Our church was open even when the power was out in the whole city. We just bundled up and went to Mass in the light of the candles.

Sounds beautiful. Would have liked to been there.

Bet it was really

"COOL"

Old 12-30-2009, 05:07 PM

7,327 posts, read 5,820,228 times
Who knows ? Did any Catholic Churches close their churches that night? or did any Catholic Churches report to that news TV and web page that they were closing services that night? Do not jump to conclusions..... If protestant church are prejudicing than You should go a talk to these ministries and make peace with them for the gospel of Jesus.... Jesus said ``Blessed are the peace makers``

Old 01-25-2010, 08:12 AM

90 posts, read 155,195 times
Let's see if I can answer your questions in a brief answer. If you want me to site specific passages out of the bible I can do that, but don't have a bible on me at the moment.

1.Peter is stated as being the rock which Christ would build His church upon, and given the keys to the kingdom of heaven...what Peter binds on earth will be bound in Heaven. You ask about Pope not being in the bible...well I'm sure you use terms such as Trinity which is never literally stated in the bible. I'm sure you drink grape juice instead of wine, but nowhere do I see grape juice listed in the bible, but I do see the word wine. Just saying that argument can go both ways.
2. In regards to the Ethiopian church...if it was started by an Apostle..and Catholics believe that all Apostles taught from the direct teachings of Jesus Christ. Now, if the Ethiopian Church decided to stray away from the teachings of the Apostles (I would have to find what they are not in agreement with the Catholic Church on...the Pope perhaps?) then they wouldn't be in full conjunction to Christ's teachings. Yes, they may have been around a long time...but we're talking about a Church that was founded on someone who was elected by God Himself and is still in the same line of succession, maintaining the same teachings passed down by Jesus (of which some are in the bible, others were oral tradition that were never printed in the bible.) The idea is that if a Church disagrees with the Catholic Church, then they are not in full "harmony" (for lack of a better word) with what Christ taught the Apostles which were handed down after they all died to ensure Christ's teachings remained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity