U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-30-2009, 06:04 AM
 
7,871 posts, read 6,680,078 times
Reputation: 1373

Advertisements

The ideas of giving and taking meaning to names or nouns in the Bible is only the story meaning of what they did in the story, and not a meaning of a word all the time....... For having meaning to nouns in the word of God can get preached as though that was the meaning all the time and other times which is theosophy and not of the ways Of The Lord. Theosophy is of the seven Liberal arts and of the spiritual authority of the world spirit sophia. Never believe that is the meaning all the time for every use of that noun, only a general meaning of the noun for that one story

 
Old 07-01-2010, 06:21 AM
 
2,359 posts, read 8,054,572 times
Reputation: 1092
In the chapter following that....

Genesis 6: 1-5

1 And after that men began to be multiplied upon the earth, and daughters were born to them, 2 The sons of God seeing the daughters of men, that they were fair, took to themselves wives of all which they chose. 3 And God said: My spirit shall not remain in man for ever, because he is flesh, and his days shall be a hundred and twenty years. 4 Now giants were upon the earth in those days. For after the sons of God went in to the daughters of men, and they brought forth children, these are the mighty men of old, men of renown. 5 And God seeing that the wickedness of men was great on the earth, and that all the thought of their heart was bent upon evil at all times

Interpretation from the Douay-Rheims Bible:

2 "The sons of God"... The descendants of Seth and Enos are here called sons of God from their religion and piety: whereas the ungodly race of Cain, who by their carnal affections lay grovelling upon the earth, are called the children of men.

Meaning the descendants of Seth were intermarrying with the descendants of Cain. Thus corrupting the sons of God or the descendants of Seth.

Noah's family was probably one of the last families on earth completely free from the genes of the "ungodly race of Cain".

Genes are more important than we are led to believe...
 
Old 07-01-2010, 09:33 AM
 
20,322 posts, read 15,674,976 times
Reputation: 7436
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
In the chapter following that....

Genesis 6: 1-5

1 And after that men began to be multiplied upon the earth, and daughters were born to them, 2 The sons of God seeing the daughters of men, that they were fair, took to themselves wives of all which they chose. 3 And God said: My spirit shall not remain in man for ever, because he is flesh, and his days shall be a hundred and twenty years. 4 Now giants were upon the earth in those days. For after the sons of God went in to the daughters of men, and they brought forth children, these are the mighty men of old, men of renown. 5 And God seeing that the wickedness of men was great on the earth, and that all the thought of their heart was bent upon evil at all times

Interpretation from the Douay-Rheims Bible:

2 "The sons of God"... The descendants of Seth and Enos are here called sons of God from their religion and piety: whereas the ungodly race of Cain, who by their carnal affections lay grovelling upon the earth, are called the children of men.

Meaning the descendants of Seth were intermarrying with the descendants of Cain. Thus corrupting the sons of God or the descendants of Seth.

Noah's family was probably one of the last families on earth completely free from the genes of the "ungodly race of Cain".

Genes are more important than we are led to believe...
No. In the Old Testament the phrase 'sons of God' is the Hebrew Bene-ha-Elohim, and is used only for angels. It is found in Gen 6:2; Job 1:6; Job 2:1; and Job 38:7. Aways for angels.

Because Jesus Christ had to come into the world as a member of the human race in order to provide salvation for man, it was Satan's strategy to destroy true humanity by changing it into a hybrid race of half-angelic, half-human beings. Therefore, Satan had certain of the fallen angels who followed him to take human females and impregnate them, giving birth to the Nephilim of Genesis 6.

Compare the following passages.

2 Peter 2:4 For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into Tartarus and committed them to pits of darkness, reserved for judgment, and did not spare the ancient world, but reserved Noah, a preacher of righteousness, with seven others, when He brought a flood upon the word of the ungodly... (The only fallen angels that are currently incarcerated in Tartarus are those particular angels who were involved in this Satanic scheme. All other fallen angels are still free and are active participants in the angelic conflict.)

Jude 6 And angels who did not keep their own domain, but abandoned their proper abode, He has kept in eternal bonds under darkness for the judgment of the great day. (A reference to Tartarus, where the angels who as described in Gen 6 and 2 Peter 2:4, took human women, are imprisoned).

1 Peter 3:19 [Speaking of Jesus] ''in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison, [20] who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, durng the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water. (After His resurrection, Jesus went down into Tartarus and proclamed to the fallen angels who were nvolved in the Genesis 6 incident, that they had failed. Jesus informed them of His strategic victory on the Cross over Satan, and that Satan's and their fate was sealed.)


The half-man, half-gods of Greek mythology are based on the Nephilim who were in fact half-man, half-angelic beings of the antediluvian world. The offspring of the fallen angels who took human women and mated with them.


Here is an informative resource concerning the angelic infiltration of the human race in the antediluvian world.

13 (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:33iDbFQ6uoAJ:www.joegriffin.org/classnotes/jsh/JSH-513.rtf+bene+ha+Elohim+refers+only+to+angels&cd=19 &hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us - broken link)
 
Old 07-01-2010, 09:37 AM
 
5,925 posts, read 5,688,179 times
Reputation: 639
I like this.
 
Old 07-01-2010, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Italy
6,387 posts, read 5,114,658 times
Reputation: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Some of you probably already know this, many others probably do not. I originally heard this from Chuck Missler on a television program. Hidden away in the Genealogy of Genesis 5 is a summary of the Gospel. A promise of the coming of the Messiah. These are the names of Adam and his descendants and their meaning in the English.

Name----------English Meaning

Adam-----------Man (is)

Seth------------Appointed

Enoch-----------Mortal

Kenan-----------Sorrow; (but)

Mahalael--------The Blessed God

Jared-----------shall come down

Enoch-----------Teaching

Methuselah------His death shall bring

Lamech---------The Despairing

Noah------------comfort, rest

The roots can be interpreted in a different way, but nevertheless, here in Genesis is the Gospel summarized.
Fascinating! I've seen similar "hidden messages" in the past, all quite curious, to say the least..

Blessings,
brian
 
Old 07-01-2010, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,397,085 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
In the chapter following that....

Genesis 6: 1-5

1 And after that men began to be multiplied upon the earth, and daughters were born to them, 2 The sons of God seeing the daughters of men, that they were fair, took to themselves wives of all which they chose. 3 And God said: My spirit shall not remain in man for ever, because he is flesh, and his days shall be a hundred and twenty years. 4 Now giants were upon the earth in those days. For after the sons of God went in to the daughters of men, and they brought forth children, these are the mighty men of old, men of renown. 5 And God seeing that the wickedness of men was great on the earth, and that all the thought of their heart was bent upon evil at all times

Interpretation from the Douay-Rheims Bible:

2 "The sons of God"... The descendants of Seth and Enos are here called sons of God from their religion and piety: whereas the ungodly race of Cain, who by their carnal affections lay grovelling upon the earth, are called the children of men.

Meaning the descendants of Seth were intermarrying with the descendants of Cain. Thus corrupting the sons of God or the descendants of Seth.

Noah's family was probably one of the last families on earth completely free from the genes of the "ungodly race of Cain".

Genes are more important than we are led to believe...
Finally! Someone gets what that passage REALLY MEANS!
 
Old 07-01-2010, 12:17 PM
 
1,883 posts, read 2,484,607 times
Reputation: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Some of you probably already know this, many others probably do not. I originally heard this from Chuck Missler on a television program. Hidden away in the Genealogy of Genesis 5 is a summary of the Gospel. A promise of the coming of the Messiah. These are the names of Adam and his descendants and their meaning in the English.

Name----------English Meaning

Adam-----------Man (is)

Seth------------Appointed

Enoch-----------Mortal

Kenan-----------Sorrow; (but)

Mahalalel--------The Blessed God

Jared-----------shall come down

Enoch-----------Teaching

Methuselah------His death shall bring

Lamech---------The Despairing

Noah------------comfort, rest

The roots can be interpreted in a different way, but nevertheless, here in Genesis is the Gospel summarized.
Sounds like Mr Missler has a faulty Hebrew dictionary.Here is how Strong's Concordance, the authoritative dictionary that seminaries use define the words,defines these.

Adam-man
Seth- compensation (for Abel,read Gen 4:25)
Enosh-man
Kenan-possession
Mahalael-praise of God
Jared-descent
Enoch-dedicated
Methuselah-man of the dart
Lamech-powerful
Noah-rest


I think I would go with the authority accepted for by almost every seminary and preacher in the world myself.But that's just me.
 
Old 07-01-2010, 12:50 PM
 
1,492 posts, read 2,225,411 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
In the chapter following that....

Genesis 6: 1-5

1 And after that men began to be multiplied upon the earth, and daughters were born to them, 2 The sons of God seeing the daughters of men, that they were fair, took to themselves wives of all which they chose. 3 And God said: My spirit shall not remain in man for ever, because he is flesh, and his days shall be a hundred and twenty years. 4 Now giants were upon the earth in those days. For after the sons of God went in to the daughters of men, and they brought forth children, these are the mighty men of old, men of renown. 5 And God seeing that the wickedness of men was great on the earth, and that all the thought of their heart was bent upon evil at all times

Interpretation from the Douay-Rheims Bible:

2 "The sons of God"... The descendants of Seth and Enos are here called sons of God from their religion and piety: whereas the ungodly race of Cain, who by their carnal affections lay grovelling upon the earth, are called the children of men.

Meaning the descendants of Seth were intermarrying with the descendants of Cain. Thus corrupting the sons of God or the descendants of Seth.

Noah's family was probably one of the last families on earth completely free from the genes of the "ungodly race of Cain".

Genes are more important than we are led to believe...
I absolutely agree!! I've thought so for a long time.
I think God created Adam and Eve with perfect genomes.Satan infiltrated it at the fall.it may or may not have literally been eating a piece of fruit.that part may be symbolic (and probably is,IMO).
Disease and birth defects now exist due to the imperfections in our genes.death exists now,too,since God literally (and the scriptures state this) prevented the reentry into the garden of eden.that is so we do not have to live permanently with these imperfections.
So in a sense...satan didn't lie...he told eve that she shall surely not die..and that her eyes would be opened to all that exists(knowledge of good and evil)..and no,she didn't die just from eating the 'fruit'..but he sure as heck knew what he was doing! and yes,she then knew good and evil.
btw---it is only common sense that if there are 'faults' in our human genome...then there had to have been an original plan to begin with! a default plan. those would most likely be the dominant traits.
we can't possibly know what that perfect genome is though,since God is the only one who holds the key to that.what geneticists tells us is that there are large gaps that exists in our DNA..so IMO,these gaps will be filled in with the rest of our genome,therefore giving us the complete,perfect one..the one that will cause us to live forever...in our new,resurrected bodies.this is like the body that Jesus had at His resurrection..the one that could walk thru walls,does not age,does not need food,does not know disease...etc.
 
Old 07-01-2010, 04:40 PM
 
20,322 posts, read 15,674,976 times
Reputation: 7436
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
Sounds like Mr Missler has a faulty Hebrew dictionary.Here is how Strong's Concordance, the authoritative dictionary that seminaries use define the words,defines these.

Adam-man
Seth- compensation (for Abel,read Gen 4:25)
Enosh-man
Kenan-possession
Mahalael-praise of God
Jared-descent
Enoch-dedicated
Methuselah-man of the dart
Lamech-powerful
Noah-rest


I think I would go with the authority accepted for by almost every seminary and preacher in the world myself.But that's just me.


That's Dr. Missler, and he said that some of the roots for those words also have other interpretations. Here is what he has to say about the roots of these words.

Excerpt:

Quote:
The meaning of proper names can be a difficult pursuit since a direct translation is often not readily available. Even a conventional Hebrew lexicon can prove disappointing. A study of the original roots, however, can yield some fascinating insights.
JoshuaNet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excerpt:

Quote:
(A caveat: many study aids, such as a conventional lexicon, can prove rather superficial when dealing with proper nouns. Furthermore, views concerning the meanings of original roots are not free of controversy and variant readings.)
A Hidden Message: The Gospel in Genesis - Chuck Missler - Koinonia House

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

And another site...

HisWord.org - The Anvil Genealogies
 
Old 07-01-2010, 04:48 PM
 
1,883 posts, read 2,484,607 times
Reputation: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
That's Dr. Missler, and he said that some of the roots for those words also have other interpretations. Here is what he has to say about the roots of these words.

Excerpt:



JoshuaNet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excerpt:



A Hidden Message: The Gospel in Genesis - Chuck Missler - Koinonia House

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

And another site...

HisWord.org - The Anvil Genealogies
When Dr Missler,who received his PHD through an unaccredited Baptist university,is used as the major reference resource on Hebrew words by accredited theological seminaries,then maybe what he has to say will have some weight.Until then perhaps he should work on getting a real PHD from an accredited university so the Dr will actually mean something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top