Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 07:05 PM

312 posts, read 867,899 times

Advertisements

I agree that labels can be self- serving and so can religions. There is a very long track record of it.

However, considering that this thread is on Jehovah's Witnesses and yes, we choose to have that "label" as a personal choice as we serve the true God Jehovah, then this "label" is not a bad thing. It identifies us as "belonging" to Jehovah God and no other god. There are many other gods - but we CHOOSE to identify ourselves with, and serve, the true God Jehovah.

We reach out to others in our preaching of God's Word, as we are commissioned to do- by HIM.

The judging however, belongs to Jehovah himself- it is not ours to do. We do the preaching but we (and even Jehovah himself) leave choices up to people- it is called "free will". They make their own choices.

It is Jehovah God who will be the judge. No human is granted that right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 05:10 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,326,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
I have a relative who converted to a Jehovah Witness last year. We all feel that this religion is completely brainwashing her. In our opinion the church community she belongs to acts almost like a cult. She also scared the hell out of my 2 teenage cousins and told them that we are all going to hell, and the world is going to end soon.

Are all people in this religion this way?
I don't know about all people, but a whole lot of them are wacked out of their right minds. We hav a similar almost identical situation in our family. My nephew wanted to explore his religious options. His parents are Baptist, but he started to study with a ...witness and is now one of them. He has been completely brained washed and believes the world is coming to an end so there is no need to marry, finish college or hav children. He can't eat Christmas dinner or celebrate anyone's birthday. He can't attend a funeral or any church function outside a kingdom hall. He gives most of his money to their church and works for free helping to build and guard a kingdom all 24/7. We r very disappointed he went that way, but r praying fervently for the his deliverance.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:15 PM

125 posts, read 301,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
My former best friend was a Jehovah's Witness. I can't really bash them, because I'm LDS, and we get the same "cult" crap JW's get. I will say, however, he had the most depressing life of anyone I've ever met. No holidays, no friends outside of the religion (the reason we became friends was a long and bumpy road), you're destined to go to a place where you're not one of the "elect". Why anyone would settle for a miserable life is beyond me. He's now on the borderline of being disfellowshipped, which will make his life even more miserable, since his friends and family who are also JW won't be able to associate with him.
Whom ever your friend is truly feel bad for him. I wish for him peace and love.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:34 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
I had bible study for several years with the witnesses, even attended the Kingdom Hall for awhile..Although the people were happy, loving and caring about each other, I just couldn't make myself become a Witness because I disagreed with so much of their doctrine..I was pretty much forced into the study group though by a H who was rebelling against his CofC upbringing..He eventually went back to the "roots of his raisin" and of course being the obedient wife I went with no questions..But that is another topic.

.People can disagree with a doctrine without adding false information about a whole group of people because of the one who is "overboard" on rules..

I think God is big enough and mighty enough that his grace and mercy cover all of us even if we are wrong, or if we follow one of the man made religions that so many are a part of..The church is not a building with a name on it.If Christ is in us, we are members of the church...and none of us can read the other persons heart. If one is not satisfied with the doctrines of the people he worships with then he should leave quietly and respectfully. Then ask God to place him where he is needed..

Old 01-04-2010, 10:24 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
I have a relative who converted to a Jehovah Witness last year. We all feel that this religion is completely brainwashing her. In our opinion the church community she belongs to acts almost like a cult. She also scared the hell out of my 2 teenage cousins and told them that we are all going to hell, and the world is going to end soon.

JWs do not believe in Hell or end of the world...

Old 01-04-2010, 10:29 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
I don't understand, even if he is practicing something that is unhealthy and unbiblical, isn't it then when he needs his fellow brother's and sister's the most? What is this dis-fellowship?
Biblically, One is to go to the brother in error, and if he continues then that one is to take a second witness and admonish him if he continues in his sin then on the testimony of three witnesses before the congregation he is told to stop if he does not then he is to be handed over to the devil so that he may learn not to blaspheme...

Old 01-09-2010, 03:26 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Biblically, One is to go to the brother in error, and if he continues then that one is to take a second witness and admonish him if he continues in his sin then on the testimony of three witnesses before the congregation he is told to stop if he does not then he is to be handed over to the devil so that he may learn not to blaspheme...
Handed over to the devil so that he may be taught a lesson? And just who would that be in today's society? "The devil"? Who is without sin let him/her cast the first stone........so today I ask: ARE YOU THERE YET?

I'm not.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:55 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,455,996 times
Quote:

Yes

Old 01-10-2010, 12:25 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,424,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenevada View Post
Interesting. I have been raised around this organization and those who truly apply bible counsel and stay close to God as a family and as individuals are enviably happy people...I consider myself to be one of those people, actually. After all, how can carrying the very name of God be cause for sadness?

You seem to be putting alot of emphasis on 'leaders' of the organization and 'shunning'. Are you aware Jehovah's Witnesses are simply following the example of the first century congregation in this practice...the very one that Christ himself established. If your friend stopped his attendance at the meetings, that would be a perfect opportunity for bad influences and feeling to corrupt his heart. After all, I can't imagine that he had a very good relationship with God if he was so close to someone that was unrepentant enough to be disfellowshipped. THis activity is a last resort, not a first measure. The congregation I go to has had no one disfellowshipped in many many years. It's not as common as is reported.

Also, I see from your post that you have been misinformed about a few of our beliefs...which also leads me to believe that perhaps the people you knew weren't really Jehovah's Witnesses...but perhaps were just saying that they were. There were false Christians in bible times as well, you know.
I guess your congregation must have some very obedient Witnesses. My mother in law is a devout JW, and she has lived in California and Texas; I have heard her discuss JWs who were put on public reproof as well as members who were disfellowshipped when she lived in CA. In fact, two men were just disfellowshipped at her Lufkin, TX local Kingdom Hall. Something she is not too happy about because my wife just revealed to me how she didn't want to let her local congregation know that she was moving back to CA because of the gossip that had been spreading around in regard to the two brothers being disfellowshipped.

I will say this, and I have always tried to say this out of love. No RELIGION HAS SAVED ANYONE'S SOUL. We are saved strictly by God's, Jehovah's, grace. We can't work for it, we can't join a religion to earn it, and we most definitely, can't pay for our salvation. Jesus paid the price for all of us, and because His Father so loved the World, that he gave his only BEGOTTEN Son, and WHOM SO EVER BELIEVES IT SHALL NOT PERISH BUT HAVE EVERLASTING LIFE. let's be mindful of that fact and that JESUS IS THE WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIFE, AND NO MAN SHALL COME TO THE FATHER BUT BY HIM.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:30 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,424,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiJay View Post
I agree that labels can be self- serving and so can religions. There is a very long track record of it.

However, considering that this thread is on Jehovah's Witnesses and yes, we choose to have that "label" as a personal choice as we serve the true God Jehovah, then this "label" is not a bad thing. It identifies us as "belonging" to Jehovah God and no other god. There are many other gods - but we CHOOSE to identify ourselves with, and serve, the true God Jehovah.

We reach out to others in our preaching of God's Word, as we are commissioned to do- by HIM.

The judging however, belongs to Jehovah himself- it is not ours to do. We do the preaching but we (and even Jehovah himself) leave choices up to people- it is called "free will". They make their own choices.

It is Jehovah God who will be the judge. No human is granted that right.
I agree with you 100%. But for the life of me, please explain why some of your brothers and sisters who come knocking on my door, attack my religious views as doctrines of men. When you very own religion proudly follows the teachings of Charles Taze Russell who found the truth that the church supposedly has been falsely teaching its members. We all have to have faith in something, and I have learned that debating who's right or wrong doesn't honor God-Jehovah, and it most definitely doesn't win over any souls in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity