Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2011, 10:10 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,379,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Homosexuality is described in the Bible as bring "an abomination unto God". That puts it in the top tier of things God dislikes the most.
So was wearing clothes of two different fabrics (used the same Hebrew word for abomination) which your probably doing right now and a bunch of other things you probably do a lot unless you're incredibly faithful to Torah Law. Read the Thread! Drive-by posters will be verbally shot on sight! lol

Old 12-26-2011, 10:14 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,985,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
So was wearing clothes of two different fabrics (used the same Hebrew word for abomination) which your probably doing right now and a bunch of other things you probably do a lot unless you're incredibly faithful to Torah Law. Read the Thread! Drive-by posters will be verbally shot on sight! lol
Start a thread on that. This one is about homo-sex being a sin.

Maybe this one has been done to death, and the answer will never change, no matter how hard some try to make a lie a truth.

To the Glory of God and his righteous kingdom, may all come to the full knowledge of God's ways.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:27 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jremy View Post
I originally posted this over in the thread about gay rights, but then I decided to start a new thread on it here since it is basically a different topic.

Many claim that evangelical Christians misinterpret the Bible to support their stance against homosexuality. In light of that, I'd like to bring up a passage of scripture to consider: Romans 1:18-32 (ESV, emphasis added). I've read this passage many times, and I cannot see how it could be interpreted in any other way than as a condemnation of homosexuality as well as other sins:

The text clearly indicates that:
  • homosexuality is the result of a divine judgment brought about by idolatry (verses 23 and 25)
  • the acts are described as "dishonoring of their bodies among themselves" (v. 24)
  • God gave them over to "impurity" (v. 24)
  • the passions are called "dishonorable" (v. 26)
  • the relations are called "contrary to nature" (v. 26)
  • the acts are called "shameless" (v. 27)
Therefore, the import of this text is that homosexuality is wrong. No excuse is made for it, and it is described as both wrong and opposed to God, as are the other sins listed in verses 29-31.
Even though I do not believe the Bible is the word of God I think the description cited does not approve of homosexual intercourse.

We can all try to be experts on the ancient languages and come up with definitions as experts do.
However, as it is shown on the OP message it does not talk in a way that is acceptable behavior as Paul describes it.

However, I do go back to Jesus to find out what he said about the issue and how he acted regarding certain situation when he dealt with people. The reason I say this is because there is a difference between Paul and Jesus.
To me Jesus had a much better grasp of human nature than Paul. Paul was at more aggressive and would turn off people along the way as he dealt with them.

If you look closely at the Bible Jesus dealt with prostitutes, theives, tax collectors, pharisees, etc.

From what I can see Jesus was not out there demanding the government ban gay marriage, ban drinking, drugs, prostitution, etc.
When he talked to people in a condeming way was to tell them about hypocricy, mostly to the pharisees.
He went to the people regardless of what they were doing with their lives to help them see God as he thought it should be. He did not go out there and scream at them, tell them they were going to go to hell, etc.
He was out there with the sinners and talked to them. He was friendly with all of them. Remember the example of the shepperd that lost a ship? He left the other sheeep to look for the lost sheep! The same with the people, he went to the people that he felt were lost in life and in the eyes of God and helped them.
What is my point with this? Homosexuality may be a sin but to me it does not matter. If that is how God sees it, then sinners will respond to him in due time. For now, it is not I or anybody else's business what gays do. People can follow the example of how Jesus handled it, not Paul in my opinion.
Jesus did reply when asked a question about the Law of Moses by saying that the law hangs on two major principles, love God and the fellow men. Does being ugly towards those who are homosexuals follow this principles and Jesus example? Not at all in my opinion. Take care.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:13 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Even though I do not believe the Bible is the word of God I think the description cited does not approve of homosexual intercourse.

We can all try to be experts on the ancient languages and come up with definitions as experts do.
However, as it is shown on the OP message it does not talk in a way that is acceptable behavior as Paul describes it.

However, I do go back to Jesus to find out what he said about the issue and how he acted regarding certain situation when he dealt with people. The reason I say this is because there is a difference between Paul and Jesus.
To me Jesus had a much better grasp of human nature than Paul. Paul was at more aggressive and would turn off people along the way as he dealt with them.

If you look closely at the Bible Jesus dealt with prostitutes, theives, tax collectors, pharisees, etc.

From what I can see Jesus was not out there demanding the government ban gay marriage, ban drinking, drugs, prostitution, etc.
When he talked to people in a condeming way was to tell them about hypocricy, mostly to the pharisees.
He went to the people regardless of what they were doing with their lives to help them see God as he thought it should be. He did not go out there and scream at them, tell them they were going to go to hell, etc.
He was out there with the sinners and talked to them. He was friendly with all of them. Remember the example of the shepperd that lost a ship? He left the other sheeep to look for the lost sheep! The same with the people, he went to the people that he felt were lost in life and in the eyes of God and helped them.
What is my point with this? Homosexuality may be a sin but to me it does not matter. If that is how God sees it, then sinners will respond to him in due time. For now, it is not I or anybody else's business what gays do. People can follow the example of how Jesus handled it, not Paul in my opinion.
Jesus did reply when asked a question about the Law of Moses by saying that the law hangs on two major principles, love God and the fellow men. Does being ugly towards those who are homosexuals follow this principles and Jesus example? Not at all in my opinion. Take care.
This is such an excellent post. The law has no power to change the heart. Also, no one is without sin, and according to the scripture, if guilty of one then we're guilty of all... that is one of those "hard sayings" in the New Testament. The wrath of man never brings righteousness to manifest in the world.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:45 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Homosexuality is described in the Bible as bring "an abomination unto God". That puts it in the top tier of things God dislikes the most.
Wow, who knew God hated planting 2 types of seeds in the same field, cutting people's hair, or disabled people entering the temple so much!

Earth to fake Christians, abomination does not exist in the original Hebrew, and the word it's taken from does not mean that. And there is no such thing as a hierarchy of sins. All sins are equal!

No wonder people are abandoning Christianity in droves when people like this are its representatives.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Wow, who knew God hated planting 2 types of seeds in the same field, cutting people's hair, or disabled people entering the temple so much!
Lots of people know. Even farmers.

Quote:
Earth to fake Christians, abomination does not exist in the original Hebrew, and the word it's taken from does not mean that. And there is no such thing as a hierarchy of sins. All sins are equal!
Original Hebrew? There is a sin that is unforgivable, so not all are equal.

Quote:
No wonder people are abandoning Christianity in droves when people like this are its representatives.
Tares and Wheat... New believers everyday.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
Start a thread on that. This one is about homo-sex being a sin.

Maybe this one has been done to death, and the answer will never change, no matter how hard some try to make a lie a truth.

To the Glory of God and his righteous kingdom, may all come to the full knowledge of God's ways.
And how does this NOT have to do with this topic when everyone keeps screaming "abomination" when its obviously a misleading translation? Pointing out archaically based hypocracy that people aren't aware of is important too. And btw, I don't start threads here unless its a really important issue to me. I sure as heck don't want my first thread here to be about this ;p

Old 12-26-2011, 01:42 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
And how does this NOT have to do with this topic when everyone keeps screaming "abomination" when its obviously a misleading translation?
It is not misleading. Abomination, loathsome and detatable are all correct translations. The only thing I have leanred here is that the gay community thinks a believer is a a "fake christian" unless they condone sexual immorality.

ṯō·w·‘ê·ḇāh
toebah : abominable (5), abominable act (1), abomination (39), abominations (60), detestable (2), detestable act (1), detestable thing (3), detestable things (3), loathsome (2), object of loathing (1).

Old 12-26-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
And how does this NOT have to do with this topic when everyone keeps screaming "abomination" when its obviously a misleading translation? Pointing out archaically based hypocracy that people aren't aware of is important too. And btw, I don't start threads here unless its a really important issue to me. I sure as heck don't want my first thread here to be about this ;p
The Homo-sex community is masterful at distracting from the truth.

My Grandmother use to say, she had a gay time at the family picnic. Are you going to say that Gay never meant happy as well.

You can change meanings and misdirect, but you can never change the judgement of God. It is a constant, no matter how delusional the English language is bastardized.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:32 PM

Again, what else is considered an abomination in the OT that we do everyday?! Stop cherry picking your OT sins! Is it sinful? Maybe! That's the other half of this discussion. But my bigger complaint with you ultra-fundies is you using translated words used in the OT to describe certain sins when we are not under that Torah law covenant the same way as the Hebrews and other things described with the same word we do on a daily basis! I mean heck, if you have the unending desire to use strong words for it, at least use the words used in Romans 1! lol

In my opinion, this is really just an excuse to isolate and use hurtful words against a very large group of people who already think Christianity hates them. Whether your hating them or just their actions, they often don't see a difference because they think its apart of who they are...in other words, you're not helping! In the end, its not much different from the guy on the street corner with a bullhorn yelling damnation.

Last edited by Jrhockney; 12-26-2011 at 04:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity