Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 06:41 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,757,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktanner View Post
Dating or corting, are there Christian women out there who are not obsessed with this? This is what really scares me of women that the Christian ones are high matinence and no different from Hollywood celebrities in terms of high matinency (except replace fame with having 8 kids).

LOL ..............

I dated this catholic Girl once ... She was a youth Minister i believe. She was a sweet heart, but I knew right away things weren't going to go very far because on the first date she brought up marriage and Kids. She knew i was Protestant and very outspoken against organized religion. She even asked me, on the first date mind you, if i would mind if our kids were raised Catholic. And when i asked her how many kids she planned on having she said something like 8 or 10 ... I cant really remember, I just remember being really taken aback and thinking to myself that she was insane.

And Catholics don't believe in safe sex, so you know where that leads ... I had to really spell it out for her that i wasn't going to marry her and that i was just in town for the storm that i was working at the time. I do miss her though, she was really sweet.

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 12-29-2009 at 06:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 06:36 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,618,313 times
Yes, there are women who are not obsessed with marriage and kids. I liked what one poster said about adopting if someone feels the need to have children. I don't date but I've also been married twice already so I'm past all of it. I'm afraid, dear one, that at your age (I'm assuming you're pretty young) you're going to find that most women want marriage and children.

I think I understand what Fundamentalist is trying to say.....dating as defined these days is not the way to go. Casually going from one to another girl causes MANY problems. If you want to spend time with someone who you think is a good Christian girl, then approach it slowly and respectfully until you really know her. If you don't want to get married....ever....then you have to be honest from the get go about that. But I have to ask the same question....why date if you don't ever want to marry? Have female "friends" and leave it at that.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:12 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,301,683 times
Quote:
Lately, I have started liking women less and less. The problem is especially with Christian women. I do not like the idea of dating, marriage or having children. I was wandering if there are any Christian women out there who don't have a desire to marry and have children? I have not been on a date for many years becuase of my strong agnst against getting married and having children.
Well, I am a Christian women that doesn't want to marry or have children. But I do understand that I have a poor image of marriage because of the bad marriages that I have seen. But I don't want to marry or have children.

My church family keeps telling me that I will have children, be a good mother and get married. But that makes me sick to my stomach because I don't want that..... But they keep saying it anyway. So, it really makes me mad.

Who cares about marriage and children, there is more to life than that for me. I enjoy my single life. Sorry, children to me seems more like a curse than a blessing. I don't want to be bothered with any kids and don't want to be brought down with having to take care of one, or two, or three.

I like my life just the way that it is. Don't get me wrong I love men, but just don't want to get married. Marriage is forever. What if I marry the wrong guy, well, I don't want to be unhappy, so I want to stay single.

Unless, God changes my heart about marriage and kids, I will stay single.... No matter what anyone says or think. If they want it, then they can get marriage and have a crap load of kids, it's not for me......

I love the idea that I can pick up and go when I want to without the baggage of a family running behind me.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:20 PM

595 posts, read 761,566 times
I am not! No dating! Isaiah 54:5 For your Maker is your husband— the LORD Almighty is his name— the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer; he is called the God of all the earth. The Lord has made me very aware of thoughts and actions on this subject.
In the beginning the men of God would choose the mate for their daughters. This was not taken lightly. The best interest of the daughter and the daughter's family was the prime interest. The mate and his family were also believers. We have seen what happened in the beginning when the nephilium married who they wanted. The earth and it's inhabitants. They were given in marriage and married whomever they wanted. If the Lord wants a earthly husband or wife for me, He will send one.
The first commandment--Love the Lord God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength. If He is your first desire-Seek God first! Then all this will be added if it is His will. And if not, God will sustain you in His will. Men and women both need to be careful of the word "desire". God at times will give you what you desire, (Saul as King, when the Lord wanted David, Samson's desire for women-which lead to part his downfall, later saved.) however it may not be His will. I have seen this many times, women and men falling for someone who just "says" they are a christian. Be careful! You will recognize them by their fruit. Remember the fall in the garden?? It began with the desire.
Why date? Do we trust the Lord with this part of our life or not? Is this not playing the field and we are christians? There are enough Christian functions to meet a mate if it is the Lord's will, He will bring it about. Remember, everything by prayer and petition. Jesus mother is a prime example of purity in the Lord. There was no union until after Jesus was born and Mary and Joseph had been betrothed for years, which is saying they knew each other spiritually pretty well. They both knew each of them loved the Lord first and the Lord was the one who brought about their marriage. Great example! Children are a blessing from the Lord, Godly offspring for Himself.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:25 PM

595 posts, read 761,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
Well, I am a Christian women that doesn't want to marry or have children. But I do understand that I have a poor image of marriage because of the bad marriages that I have seen. But I don't want to marry or have children.

My church family keeps telling me that I will have children, be a good mother and get married. But that makes me sick to my stomach because I don't want that..... But they keep saying it anyway. So, it really makes me mad.

Who cares about marriage and children, there is more to life than that for me. I enjoy my single life. Sorry, children to me seems more like a curse than a blessing. I don't want to be bothered with any kids and don't want to be brought down with having to take care of one, or two, or three.

I like my life just the way that it is. Don't get me wrong I love men, but just don't want to get married. Marriage is forever. What if I marry the wrong guy, well, I don't want to be unhappy, so I want to stay single.

Unless, God changes my heart about marriage and kids, I will stay single.... No matter what anyone says or think. If they want it, then they can get marriage and have a crap load of kids, it's not for me......

I love the idea that I can pick up and go when I want to without the baggage of a family running behind me.
Miss Shawn, just tell them if it is God's will, it will happen His way and if not, it will happen His way. And God has not put this desire in your heart.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy777 View Post
Miss Shawn, just tell them if it is God's will, it will happen His way and if not, it will happen His way. And God has not put this desire in your heart.
I have actually said that God may not want me to get married or have children. But I still have some say, that God wants me to get married and have children. There was a time when the pressure of others saying this to me caused me to try to make myself want marriage and kids.

But I was depressed and would cry. So, I say bump that, I am not going to be depressed because of what others say. But I just can't receive it because, I haven't heard God tell me that. So, as of now, I don't want to marry or have children and I am happy with that.........................

Old 01-02-2010, 10:04 AM

193 posts, read 534,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
I have actually said that God may not want me to get married or have children. But I still have some say, that God wants me to get married and have children. There was a time when the pressure of others saying this to me caused me to try to make myself want marriage and kids.

But I was depressed and would cry. So, I say bump that, I am not going to be depressed because of what others say. But I just can't receive it because, I haven't heard God tell me that. So, as of now, I don't want to marry or have children and I am happy with that.........................
I hope one day I can also feel comfortable with my feeling to be single. I myself try to desire marriage but I do it out of I have to marry or God will send me to the lake of fire.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:20 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,118 times
I think Fundamentalist is probably referring to courting instead of dating, as in the book, "I Kissed Dating Goodbye," by Josh Harris.

I agree that Christians, ideally, should not date, except to go places in a group.

Much better to do what you want to do (college, travel), then when you are ready to settle down and have a family; pray about it, ponder what you want in a mate.....and ask the Lord to put that person in your path. Use whatever resources are most helpful, but pray for the one the Lord would have you marry.

If you go out in a group you will not be tempted to sin sexually.

If you date, you will be tempted and perhaps get tangled up in the wrong relationship, you may give in, have sex, and have an unplanned pregnancy, etc. There are many reasons to not date - much better for young people to develop as persons and concentrate on their own interests. When you are ready to settle down and you meet someone you believe to be your soulmate, you can court them, in the old-fashioned way.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I hope one day I can also feel comfortable with my feeling to be single. I myself try to desire marriage but I do it out of I have to marry or God will send me to the lake of fire.
Wow, I don't feel like God will send me to hell if I don't marry. Now if it is God's will for me to marry, then God will have to help me change my attitude toward marriage. He would have to do it in such a way that I wanted to get married. So, as of now I don't feel bad for wanting to be happy and single...... Marriage to me should be a choice and something you are not forced to do.

That's how I look at it. So, hey as of now I don't really know if God will send someone to hell for not getting married, but I feel that He want. Now, His will is something else. If you refuse His will, I guess that could be like disobeying Him. So, I could see how He would send someone to hell for that. So, just pray about it and seek His

Old 01-06-2010, 09:07 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,950 times
I think the decisions not to date, marry or hav children are personal choices and has little to do with ur faith or belief in God. U r not a better Christian because u marry and hav children. And if u decide against those things that does not make u any better either. "Trust in the Lord and HE will direct ur path..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity