Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 01:49 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,388,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
CelticLady:
Jesus did not ...walk up to perfect strangers and start wittnessing..."
How about the disciples? He definitely approached them. And the lady at the well? Granted, He worked it into the conversation, but the fact is He approached her. Also, she was not a perfect stranger to Him since He was able to reveal her whole life; however, He was a stranger to her.

Paul preached openly on the streets of Athens, a gentile community totally unfamiliar with Christ.
Peter approached the Ethiopian eunuch.

However, I do agree that our lives should be our greatest witness. We are instructed to be a separate people so others will see a difference. Women are even told to witness to their unbelieving husbands by their chaste behavior, not by beating them over the heads with the gospel. Furthermore, the apostles were instructed to shake the dust off their feet and move on if the Word was rejected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 01:54 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,008,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Not to get snotty about that Kirk Cameron site but if you take the "test," you'll notice you can't possibly pass. (What was that about ever having felt lust? The commandment was to be fruitful and multiply--I'm not sure how that's accomplished without at least a little bit of lust--I mean really.)

I hate to be this way about it but Hollywood people are very often weird. I mean weird-weird. They see so much dirt that eventually they change drastically, one way or another. This is how Kirk Cameron changed. He turned into a zealot with a snazzy website. It's kind of cheap and sad to watch this thing.

Basically it's set up like one of those commercials that say, "Have you ever suffered from one of the following: sleeplessness, sleepiness, restlessness during the day or at night time, a tired or hyped-up feeling, two colds within the space of four months OR one cold that lasted for more than three days, tooth decay, loss of creativity for more than 24 hours, an achy feeling in any muscle, chronic fatigue syndrome, elevated LDL or gout?" I mean guaranteed, 99.9% of the population is going to say, "Yes! I HAVE suffered from one of these! This person must have read my mind!"
JerZ, honestly (and I'm not trying to beat on you or anything)....maybe this is YOUR interpretation of his website or even YOUR interpretation of him...but you really shouldn't be so callous about it since you are not a Christian. You really should read up more about him and the things he has done before being so critical of him (such as the wonderful camp he and his wife started for terminally ill youth ) You would really have to be a Christian and/or at least humble yourself a bit to really understand.
You're right...the test IS set up for everyone to FAIL...WHY? Because we are ALL guilty of SIN! This method of witnessing simply shows us our sinful nature As for the "lust" part... Matthew 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
Just a little food for thought

Last edited by kawgpz550; 05-22-2007 at 02:04 AM..

Old 05-22-2007, 02:01 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,388,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
If this is what evangelism is about than it is no better than Hitler's, Stalin's, or Pol Pot's ideals.
Well, at least you're still alive and free to roam society, aren't you? You wouldn't be in their societies. You just appear ignorant when you make these kind of comparisons.

That being said, I'm sad to hear of your experience. Yes, Christians can be quite tactless, too, and often fall way short in demonstrating the love and understanding they think they exhibit. And, yes, we're sometimes quite rude. Our speech is supposed to be seasoned with salt (so it doesn't offend), and we're to extend grace even when none is offered, and we're supposed to move on when someone isn't interested.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:30 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
How about the disciples? He definitely approached them. And the lady at the well? Granted, He worked it into the conversation, but the fact is He approached her. Also, she was not a perfect stranger to Him since He was able to reveal her whole life; however, He was a stranger to her.

Paul preached openly on the streets of Athens, a gentile community totally unfamiliar with Christ.
Peter approached the Ethiopian eunuch.
Slightly different. Being who he was, he had already picked out these men, to be his disciples. I seriously doubt that he was considered pushy, because these men obviously already must have had a conviction on their hearts, (I'm sure they had already heard him preach), which of course he would have known. Christians don't know, so they have no business, making it their business, by waltzing up to unsuspecting people, particularly when many (not all) are unconscionably rude, in the process. But, churches and pastors put a guilt trip on laypeople if they are not out there, knocking on doors, handing out tracts, and accosting people.

The woman at the well? Again, we're speaking of Jesus, not your ordinary run-of-the-mill Christian. He didn't bang on her door. He waited by the well, and as you said, worked it into the conversation. Initally, he simply asked for a drink of water. But, he knew where the conversation was headed.

As to Paul, he was preaching, (and I never said anything about preaching), not grabbing people, personally, by the collar, so to speak.

Philip's (not Peter) story would show that when God told him to do something, he knew he should do it. But, he already knew that the eunuch was interested, because he was reading, (out loud, Acts 8:30), from Isaiah However, most people just go with the guilt thing, and figure they're supposed to wittness to anyone, and everyone, without discretion, (for goodness' sake, churches even offer classes on how to wittness. Classes?! For crying out loud, the disciples didn't have classes! And yes, I have been to them, trying to learn in all sincerity, how to "grab people by the shirt collars"). They do not take into consideration that most people don't appreciate it. As an example, would a Christian want to be accosted by a Muslim, (say in a bookstore, as GCSTroop mentioned), and told they should not be reading the Bible, that they should be reading the Koran, instead? Perhaps even be told that they were going to hell, if they didn't believe in Allah? Christians need to think ahead, and put themselves in other people's shoes before getting too gung-ho.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:44 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Just a thought-- we talk a lot about going up to strangers and witnessing, but in actuality, how many of you have actually ever had someone come up to you and try to initiate a conversation about Christianity? I'm seriously wondering? I live in what is sometimes termed "the Bible Belt," yet I have never had this occur. (I don't wear a sign that says, "already a Christian" or anything like that. I don't wear a cross or any religious jewelry that would identify me as a Christian, yet it's never happened. So unless my experience is unique, should we conclude that this type of evangelism is fairly rare? ...unless of course, you're GCS ...LOL

Old 05-22-2007, 08:21 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Just a thought-- we talk a lot about going up to strangers and witnessing, but in actuality, how many of you have actually ever had someone come up to you and try to initiate a conversation about Christianity? I'm seriously wondering? I live in what is sometimes termed "the Bible Belt," yet I have never had this occur. (I don't wear a sign that says, "already a Christian" or anything like that. I don't wear a cross or any religious jewelry that would identify me as a Christian, yet it's never happened. So unless my experience is unique, should we conclude that this type of evangelism is fairly rare? ...unless of course, you're GCS ...LOL
Well, for three years, every Sat as part of our bus minsitry, we knocked on doors, maybe its because we live in the Bible belt, although I believe its because of the prayers of those in our church to open peoples hearts, but we were never ran off, yelled at, had any doors slammed in our faces or anything. I think its the way you present yourself, IMO. We would just say, Hi im so and so from such and such church, and we were in the neighborhood, and wanted to invite you to church, or if you have any questions you can call this number, and you can also watch our Sunday service on tv. Only is someone wanted us to go anyfurther with the convo did we. I met and talked to people from almost every denomination I can think of, also atheist, wiccans. I cant say one person was ever rude, except for one gentlemen from another denom, but thats a diff story-lol I think if we are open with our Chrisitianity, as in reading our Bibles at work, people will ask questions. Had it happen a few times.

Last edited by arguy1973; 05-22-2007 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 05-22-2007, 08:34 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,578 times
I try to live my life in such a way that the light of Jesus shines through me.

I read my Bible and pray that God will use me as He sees fit during the day.

That being said, I have to say that I agree that there are some Christians out there that just go out of their way-- in their zeal to win someone over to Christ --to offend.

This happened to me, in my own store. A customer came in, one who I went to school with, and started talking about how he just got the call to preach. That is very good news to me, until...

He asked me what church I was going to..at the time, I was not going to church...(He didn't ask me if I were a Christian, or if I was involved in prayer or my Bible)

He proceeded to tell me that I was going straight to hell because I was not going to church and not a christian.

Now, I don't have Irish temper, I have worse. In as polite a way as I could, I told him I was Christian, and was going to Heaven. Then I proceeded to tell him about judging someone which goes against everything i read in MY BIBLE...Also told him there was a difference in when I went to church but did not hear God and when I read my Bible and found God.

He stormed off extremely angry at me and I was very upset. Long story short, he came back a couple months later and apologized to me.

I live smack in the middle of the Bible belt and it never ceases to amaze me how critical and hipocrital and smug some people are. What they fail to realize is that although they go to church every Sunday, the do not live the life Christ talks of the rest of the week and then go out and find others to talk about or judge.

I told this all to this guy when he came to apologize. Told him this is why I stopped going to his church. I had to deal with the anger I felt before I could go out and find a good church to get into.

I guess this is one of the reasons why I try to live like Christ wants, and go to prayer to ask God to use me as He sees fit for His Glorified purpose each day.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:38 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Well, for three years, every Sat as part of our bus minsitry, we knocked on doors, maybe its because we live in the Bible belt, although I believe its because of the prayers of those in our church to open peoples hearts, but we were never ran off, yelled at, had any doors slammed in our faces or anything. I think its the way you present yourself, IMO. We would just say, Hi im so and so from such and such church, and we were in the neighborhood, and wanted to invite you to church, or if you have any questions you can call this number, and you can also watch our Sunday service on tv. Only is someone wanted us to go anyfurther with the convo did we. I met and talked to people from almost every denomination I can think of, also atheist, wiccans. I cant say one person was ever rude, except for one gentlemen from another denom, but thats a diff story-lol I think if we are open with our Chrisitianity, as in reading our Bibles at work, people will ask questions. Had it happen a few times.
Good perspective. Yeah, definitely, I think many of the churches do this type of ministry. In fact, a group from my own church is about to embark on a couple of Saturdays of door to door evanglism in the neighborhood which surrounds the church. I think they will also do it in a fairly low key way as you described.

I guess though what I meant in my earlier post about how often does it occur approaching strangers is the scenario of someone approaching you in a public place one on one.

Now I do know that my own pastor used to be part of a group of several guys who would go out "witnessing" every Friday night in an area of Dallas near downtown. (like on a street corner) They had some pretty amazing results from it as far as conversions. But I would say that in that vicinity, how can I say this...almost anything would not seem out of place! Lots of very eclectic nightclubs etc. Very "edgy" (not crime-ridden) part of the city. I'm not doing a good job of describing but just a part of the city where everything is a little bizaare so it didn't seem unusual or out of place. if you know what I mean. During the years, yes several years, they did this, I think they led hundreds of people to the Lord. This would definitely have not been a ministry for everyone, but it worked for them.

Last edited by kaykay; 05-22-2007 at 08:56 AM..

Old 05-22-2007, 08:41 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Actually, I have had it happen, both in public, and folks coming to my door. I wonder, do I have a sign on my forehead, or maybe one hanging over my head? Goodness, I even had two Mormon boys come to my hospital room, years ago, when I had my daughter, (after the fact, of course). Since I was raised in Mormon country, I knew quite a bit about it, (although I was a Baptist), so I wasn't interested. I was polite, but I was also younger. If that happened now, at my advanced age of 45, I'm afraid I'd be a bit more cranky about it.

I live in Northwest Florida, which is highly "churched", if you will. It's not an everyday occurence, of course, but yes, it does happen. We even have one church, in Pensacola, that sends its members out on street corners, with Bibles big enough to choke a horse with, yelling out scripture, (mostly the hell and damnation type), to every passer-by. Most people ignore them, roll their windows up, and crank up their music, though some make rude gestures at them, (which I don't think is called-for, myself, but I can understand being aggravated, as you're held hostage at a red light).

Old 05-22-2007, 08:41 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Default kaykay

In my situation, the only people who actually come up to me and try to evangelize (harrass in this case) are some members of the church I just dropped out of..They keep asking me why I don't come there any more and I keep telling them why. If I run into them a couple days later they ask the same question. A few times I have been approached by other denominations wanting me to join. For the most part they are polite. You have to show respect in order to receive respect. Then there are some people who just don't think anyone is as good or christian as they are, and they are insulting and loud. It is hard not to be rude back, but I have found that the old saying about "killing them with kindness" works!I am finally at peace with my beliefs after about forty years of being in a church I was uncomfortable with trying to please hubby and family. I finally just made up my mind and told them that I have found a new relationship with God that I feel happy with and that no person will ever take that from me again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity