U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-02-2010, 12:25 AM
 
9 posts, read 11,481 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post

This thread really isn`t about belief. It`s about Anger toward God. You and the OP have belief in God but you are ANGRY because you don`t seem to be getting the material things you think you deserve. I think we all have felt that way.But again,it goes back to the point I made in my earlier post about material things,etc.

I should have thought more carefully when choosing a title for this thread. I had just come off of reading this earlier one where I was particularly interested in IrishMom's response: http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...oward-god.html

However, as you can see from the content of my first post, this thread isn't about anger; rather, it is about belief. (For if you do not trust, you cannot believe.) I have lots of issues, one of which is anger, but anger is not the important issue. As earlier mentioned, I get angry when I try to force myself to trust.

I did not describe the reason for my crisis of faith. You assumed that it was due to "material things". This is not the case.

Last edited by Cece2010; 01-02-2010 at 01:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2010, 12:48 AM
 
9 posts, read 11,481 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Hey CeCe,
I think when we concentrate on the fact that God loves us and he is going to reward us beyond anything we can imagine,then we may have a different outlook on God. We live in the here and now. We compare our life with others around us. But this life is just a vapor in time.
You say you don`t trust him. That obviously has to do with something that happened to you that was unfair or worse. It is hard,I know, to trust God when things happen to us or against us. Others seem to get away with hurting us while we are left to suffer. But people will let you down. People will hurt you. But God is the one who created you and he has magnificent things in store for you. I`m not talking about this life but in the life to come.
The apostles suffered horribly. They were beaten,stoned,crucified,isolated,hungry,cold,etc. But they persevered. They kept their eyes on God. Knowing that this life is brief. There will come a day when we will walk with him and our loved ones. We will walk and talk with the apostles and great men of God. We will share in God`s riches as sons and daughters. We will have the peace we long for. This world is not my home,I`m just passing through. May God bless you and grant you the peace you are searching for.
I appreciate your taking the time to respond to my question.

I understand well that following God is a difficult journey. I long ago grew weary of Sunday sermons full of sunny promises, and televangelist messages of abundant prosperity. Life is hard; and because this is a fallen world, it is often harder for Christians.

I am not questioning the existence of God. Or His wisdom. It would be foolish to do so. I am limited in my comprehension; I will never be able to fully understand the ways of God. I am not asking the members of this forum to explain them to me; how could you know? That is what I meant when I earlier stated that I am not interested in the "whys and the wherefores".

I personally believe that emotions are distinct from free will. Emotions can be influenced by circumstances, by our human weaknesses, and by evil. You can't depend on your emotions to guide you. That is why, despite feeling the way I do, I am exercising my free will by making the decision to nevertheless follow Him.

Now while all that sounds wonderful in theory, I am running into practical problems implementing it. As mentioned in my first post: love is what motivates you to do all that you do for God. If you don't have love, there is no basis to motivate you to live according to His word. And if you have trust issues, it is difficult to implement His teachings.

My question is this: does anyone have any practical suggestion for dealing with this situation where my emotions are not lined up with my free will? That's all I'm here to ask.

Last edited by Cece2010; 01-02-2010 at 01:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2010, 12:51 AM
 
9 posts, read 11,481 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
Well, hate to bust your bubble, He already knew that you would have these feelings before you ever experienced it. ....

I see that my sense of humor is lost on you. Rest assured, I am well aware that God is omniscient.

Last edited by Cece2010; 01-02-2010 at 01:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2010, 01:19 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
3,586 posts, read 5,030,438 times
Reputation: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cece2010 View Post
I see that my sense of humor is lost on you. Rest assured, I am well aware that God is omniscient.
Oh, trust me I got, just didn't see the humor in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2010, 01:45 AM
 
9 posts, read 11,481 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
Oh, trust me I got, just didn't see the humor in it.

Trust me, I got the fact that you were humorless.

Last edited by Cece2010; 01-02-2010 at 02:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2010, 03:44 AM
 
Location: Texas
4,346 posts, read 5,232,106 times
Reputation: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cece2010 View Post

(3) God is good. He is not out to cause harm to me in particular.
Good observation. You are obviously not singled out as we all face the common dilemma.

The "wrath of God" is one of the most misunderstood subjects in theology. It's not personal, it's the common expulsion from from paradise (metaphorically speaking).

Likewise, salvation isn't personal - it's the common returning to the source of all mankind.

Most people try to find evidences of God's existence separate from themselves - externally fulfilling a promise or bringing about a blessing/calamity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2010, 04:45 AM
 
Location: South Africa
1,319 posts, read 1,711,958 times
Reputation: 296
It amazes me when one of your own has a crisis of faith that there are sooo many differing opinions and advice and then it degrades to an argument of whose opinion is the correct one. One would think your God would at least give you all the same message to convey but sadly, as it is so prevalent in this neck of the woods, there is no consensus and the messages mixed.

Just an observation FWIW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2010, 08:11 AM
 
313 posts, read 692,937 times
Reputation: 173
<< My question is this: does anyone have any practical suggestion for dealing with this situation where my emotions are not lined up with my free will? That's all I'm here to ask. >>

Your emotions don't need to be lined up CeCe- leave them out of it for now. It's your head that needs to continue to reason on things- your emotions will catch up later.

What I mean is, true faith is not credulity. It doesn't "believe" based on emotion- or even without sound evidence. True faith requires accurate knowledge of the scriptures which is where that sound evidence is found.

Hebrew 4:12 says it best! "For the word of God is alive and exerts power and is sharper than any two-edged sword and pierces even to the dividing of soul and spirit, and of joints and [their] marrow, and [is] able to discern thoughts and intentions of [the] heart."
And that is because " All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight..." (2Timothy 3:16)

It is through the scriptures that we get to know Him as a person and not as some impersonal-far-away-power-plant-of-almighty-energy.

"This is what Jehovah has said, your Repurchaser, the Holy One of Israel: “I, Jehovah, am your God, the One teaching you to benefit [yourself], the One causing you to tread in the way in which you should walk. 18 O if only you would actually pay attention to my commandments! Then your peace would become just like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea. " (Isaiah 48:17,18)

He provided the scriptures as a way to get to know Him- but it takes accurate knowledge, work and time.

You are off to a great start! (John 17:3) "This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ. "

Last edited by DiJay; 01-02-2010 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: forgot to add...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2010, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Southern California
1,686 posts, read 1,544,618 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cece2010 View Post
My question is this: does anyone have any practical suggestion for dealing with this situation where my emotions are not lined up with my free will? That's all I'm here to ask.
When we establish a connection with our Heavenly Father, we can ask Him to quiet our emotions... in other words, pray to Him to show you what they are so they can be released and let go. And while this is happening, you may cry a lot, but just let it happen. I was going through this earlier this year, and what I did to help me along with the process was I found the saddest songs on youtube.com and I played them over and over until there were no more tears.

Reaching out to our Heavenly Father is the best form of healing and even though it may not be a pleasant experience to go through while it's happening... the outcome will be a much happier and peaceful you. God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2010, 12:29 PM
 
2,945 posts, read 4,518,390 times
Reputation: 1597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cece2010 View Post
Here is what I know:

(1) God is almighty.

(2) God is awesome.

(3) God is good. He is not out to cause harm to me in particular.
This is from your first post..you believe in God..BUT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cece2010 View Post
Here is my problem:

(1) I donít trust Him any more. When I press myself to do so, I get angry. (I trusted Him blindly for many years, and things turned out very, very badly.)

(2) I donít love Him. (I donít hate Him; rather, there is an absence of love.)

(3) I donít think He cares about me (ie, He is ambivalent. He is far off and distant, pre-occupied with other things).
You don`t trust him and become angry because things didn`t go right for you.
So from your first post,you state that you have belief in God,think he is awesome and almighty. But it is anger and not trusting God that is the problem,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cece2010 View Post
However, as you can see from the content of my first post, this thread isn't about anger; rather, it is about belief. (For if you do not trust, you cannot believe.) I have lots of issues, one of which is anger, but anger is not the important issue. As earlier mentioned, I get angry when I try to force myself to trust.
So now it isn`t about anger anymore. It is about belief. Eventhough you`ve already stated you believe in God and think he is awesome,etc. But you have anger and trust issues with God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cece2010 View Post
I
I am not questioning the existence of God. Or His wisdom. It would be foolish to do so. I am limited in my comprehension; I will never be able to fully understand the ways of God.
So now you say you do have belief?
You first said you believed in God but it was anger or not trusting him.
Then you said,no it is about belief,not anger and you titled the thread wrong.
Then you said,you do have belief.
I guess,I don`t comprehend what you are saying. So I will bow out of the discussion. Blessings and I hope you find the peace and answers you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top