U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 04:29 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,994,991 times

Advertisements

Part of the problem is in our " American churches " today. Tons of churches don`t teach Biblical doctrine which leaves people confused and bewildered about what God does actually promise us in this life.I`ve had to come to terms with this myself. John Mcarthur is a great resource for learning biblical doctrine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 04:51 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,142,232 times
So what comes next? Surrender....total and complete.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:09 PM

1,686 posts, read 1,543,068 times
And it's something so easy to do. A couple of times in my life and since last year, really, I turned to my Father and I told Him... I will follow you, just lead the way. And may I say, I had a wonderful year filled with so much love, even going through spiritual healings, the end result is simply more and more that He fills my soul with His awesome Love throughout each and every day.

Another secret that I'll tell the OP is that whenever there is someone who isn't treating me the way I want them to, I will have a nice little chat with my Father and I'll ask Him to make it right with this person and He always does. This brings to me so much peace and comfort.

And whenever I have a question about something, I'll ask Him and he always gives me the correct answer. For instance, last year I had been thinking about moving closer to my work so I could walk there, so I said, what do you think? And He said, "No." Well, I wondered why until I found out a few months ago that our office was moving to another location. If I would have just upped and moved myself and found a place near our old office, it would have been the wrong thing to do because it's at least four miles away... too far to walk!

Old 01-02-2010, 05:12 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,142,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
And it's something so easy to do. A couple of times in my life and since last year, really, I turned to my Father and I told Him... I will follow you, just lead the way. And may I say, I had a wonderful year filled with so much love, even going through spiritual healings, the end result is simply more and more that He fills my soul with His awesome Love throughout each and every day.

Another secret that I'll tell the OP is that whenever there is someone who isn't treating me the way I want them to, I will have a nice little chat with my Father and I'll ask Him to make it right with this person and He always does. This brings to me so much peace and comfort.

And whenever I have a question about something, I'll ask Him and he always gives me the correct answer. For instance, last year I had been thinking about moving closer to my work so I could walk there, so I said, what do you think? And He said, "No." Well, I wondered why until I found out a few months ago that our office was moving to another location. If I would have just upped and moved myself and found a place near our old office, it would have been the wrong thing to do because it's at least four miles away... too far to walk!
Isn't that the truth!! Always a prayer away....!!

Old 01-02-2010, 06:11 PM

823 posts, read 991,494 times
Not to go off the OP....but this is a wonderful thread as some of us our on different pathways but we all have one great common demonitor and that is what counts !!! I think that God would like this thread

Old 01-02-2010, 06:21 PM

1,837 posts, read 3,410,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cece2010 View Post
I greatly appreciate MightyQueen’s input. While she doesn’t claim to have the answer, she has made a concrete and practical suggestion: adopt a grateful attitude, and try to see the hand of God in little, every day things. Spm62: as human beings, naturally our trials will involve worldly matters. The example that MightyQueen provided was merely to illustrate how she goes about applying the principle that she proposed when dealing with one such problem. I understand what she is trying to say.

Thank you SisterKat and SoCalAngel2009: you both proposed that I present the problem to God in prayer, and leave the task of changing my emotions to Him.

Per DiJay: Ignore my emotions for now, and instead focus on Bible study. Gotcha!
Very good. Someone said to me awhile ago that she has a journal and in that journal everyday she made it a point to list the things that were good. Whether it was a smile from the clerk at the store or a good movie or a beautiful sunset, she would list those things and thank God for them.

I do believe that if we look we will and can find beauty.. Just look up on a starry night or look out the window at the beautiful white snow flake (and don't even mention something negative about snowstorms, this isn't what I am talking about in this message, lol). Or look in the backdrop of the horizon at the mountains. God is so good if we really start to look. And yes.. we need to be thankful for the little things. Food, shelter, a cool drink, etc..
Great post and very helpful.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:39 PM

1,468 posts, read 1,727,941 times
Quote:
I greatly appreciate MightyQueen’s input. While she doesn’t claim to have the answer, she has made a concrete and practical suggestion: adopt a grateful attitude, and try to see the hand of God in little, every day things. Spm62: as human beings, naturally our trials will involve worldly matters. The example that MightyQueen provided was merely to illustrate how she goes about applying the principle that she proposed when dealing with one such problem. I understand what she is trying to say.

Thank you SisterKat and SoCalAngel2009: you both proposed that I present the problem to God in prayer, and leave the task of changing my emotions to Him.

Per DiJay: Ignore my emotions for now, and instead focus on Bible study. Gotcha!
In addition to these suggestions, I would like to add that continuing to read and study in the area of Christian apologetics has been a lifeline for me. Here are some favorites of mine:

1. Theologian William Lane Craig -- he has a website with many free lectures.

2. Revivalist preacher Paul Washer -- he also has a website, and there are a lot of free sermons there and on Youtube. I have little use for most preachers, but this guy is truly brilliant.

3. Books by C.S. Lewis and G.K. Chesterton.

4. "The Imitation of Christ" by Thomas A Kempis

5. Finally, the lives of the Saints and martyrs are a touchstone I go back to again and again.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:59 PM

9 posts, read 11,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
In addition to these suggestions, I would like to add that continuing to read and study in the area of Christian apologetics has been a lifeline for me. Here are some favorites of mine:

1. Theologian William Lane Craig -- he has a website with many free lectures.

2. Revivalist preacher Paul Washer -- he also has a website, and there are a lot of free sermons there and on Youtube. I have little use for most preachers, but this guy is truly brilliant.

3. Books by C.S. Lewis and G.K. Chesterton.

4. "The Imitation of Christ" by Thomas A Kempis

5. Finally, the lives of the Saints and martyrs are a touchstone I go back to again and again.

Aha, C.S. Lewis! I loved "The Screwtape Letters" .

I shall take a look at the resources you mentioned. Thank you DreamingSpires.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:04 PM

19,038 posts, read 18,324,858 times
Quote:
As I mentioned above: I want to make peace with God, and respect and worship Him. I have exercised my free will by making the conscious decision to follow God. I just don't think my feelings will catch up. It is simply not humanly possible to force oneself to trust someone. Does anyone have any practical advice on how I can proceed?
My only advice is to recognize that God will not always give us what we ask for, but He will always give us what we need. Over time, I have come to realize that having faith in God means nothing more than trusting that He knows what He is doing and that we need to leave things in His hands. It's hard not to be angry when it seems as if He is ignoring us or giving us trials that seem truly unreasonable, but I think He just sees the larger picture when we are unable to.

A song I like (it's a prayer actually) says it very well:

A mansion on a hill, a love like in the movies,
Perfect little dreams where no one has a problem.
Instead of all those things I thought I really wanted,
I’ve been given what I need.
Even when I didn’t understand,
When I thought you had no heart,
Thank you for rejecting my demands
And always giving me the better part.
All I ever wanted, all I ever I dreamed of,
Everything I hoped and all the things I prayed for
Couldn’t hold a candle to what I’ve been given.
I’ve been given what I need.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:17 AM

1,686 posts, read 1,543,068 times
Another issue that I've had to deal with is patience. I've had to learn that with my Father, sometimes He can't always come through for me at the exact moment I want something, but when He tells me He's working on it... I believe Him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity