U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-07-2010, 05:16 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
19,100 posts, read 18,368,259 times
Reputation: 8043

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
In researching a little bit of your past postings, I see why you're now posting so much about this. Let me tell you something, if you start tithing off of what you have...even if it's only pennies, you're going to see a turn in your life. If you give what you can, God will bless you. The woman in the Bible that gave the little bit of oil that she had was blessed much more than those that gave more, because she had less to give.

Try it, but not as a bargaining chip with God. If you believe God will bless you because of it, He will.

You can respond to this any way you like, but this will be my last post in this thread. If you're struggling financially, tithe. If you're blessed, tithe. God will work wonders in your life, but you've got to give Him the opportunity.
I'm sorry you've posted for the last time in this thread. I agree with absolutely every word you've said, and I could use your backing me up!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2010, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
19,100 posts, read 18,368,259 times
Reputation: 8043
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The example given here shows the Pharisees giving their tithe of forbidden objects, right?
That's definitely not how I read it. I don't think for one minute that Jesus was condemning them for what they were tithing for, but that they had lost sight of the even more important (but often less easily measured) things. He was condemning their hypocrisy and that fact that they were far more concerned with appearances than with truly doing good. If you disagree with me, that's fine.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
19,100 posts, read 18,368,259 times
Reputation: 8043
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
This is the problem with so many people's thinking. You don't understand the power of God. You don't understand how HUGE he is.

I've got nothing but sympathy for a single mother struggling to make ends meet. But there are many that find their way out of that situation not by hoarding the little bit they do have, but by TRUSTING that God will always meet your needs and tithing off the little they have.

This is a TRUST issue with God. You either trust that He will make sure all your needs are provided for, or you don't.

You cannot say "well I believe in you God, but I think you're wrong on this money thing".

It's not about money. It's about obedience. God WILL provide for you, but you need to do your part. God will never say "thanks for the tithe, now I'm going to make sure you starve to death". Never.

You need to understand that God is larger than anything you comprehend, and where thinks look bleak to us, there's nothing He cannot do. If you are poor, but tithe anyway, that obedience means more to God than a rich man tithing millions. And you will be rewarded.

You trust God, or you don't. Period.
Bingo! Again.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
27,778 posts, read 43,646,500 times
Reputation: 14686
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You know these two passages prove you wrong, but you're too stubborn to admit it. Plus, you get top sleep late on Sundays!
mm

No I know from a multitude of other verses that these two are being taken out of context and applied wrongly.

I still attend worship services each week, sometimes I give the sermon.

My role of late has been more often doing funerals though.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 06:46 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
27,778 posts, read 43,646,500 times
Reputation: 14686
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
The holier than thou Christian game is getting old. Churches grow to accommodate the masses of people that attend. You rarely see Churches building large buildings in HOPES of having more people show up.

Most of them build a new building when they've outgrown theirs. This is a bad thing? More and more people coming to hear God's word is a bad thing? I praise God every time I'm stuck in traffic getting out of Church, because that means so many more souls are saved.

There are many ways to worship God, and one of those is through a Church. A Church that offers people a place to gather with other Christians and grow their Faith. A place that we can go learn more about our Lord. A place to fellowship and lead others to Christ.

It's not about money. But money IS a conduit to bringing others to Christ. Providing places for them to go is a great thing. There are MANY Churches that meet in gyms, schools, etc., and that's a great thing. But there are MANY that have outgrown them and needed a bigger facility than they could rent. And believe it or not, it takes staff to run a Church. It takes staff to make sure that the Church is able to keep its doors open and running smoothly. Without support, the Church would collapse and that'd mean less people would be reached.

Enough with the holier than thou stuff, because that's pretty judgmental, and if you'd like, I can point you to God's Word and what He says about that. If someone is reaching people for Jesus, I doubt Jesus is too concerned with their methods.
You can sure write a lot there about how you justify the greed of church leadership.

So long as you can justify this behavior in your mind; then I am happy for you.

God be with you
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 06:49 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
27,778 posts, read 43,646,500 times
Reputation: 14686
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
I trust God enough to believe what he says in his word. Again, it's not about money. If you're close to God, that's awesome. Don't try to call yourself a better Christian because you're poor though.
I agree.



Quote:
... Yes, money is dangerous, because it can lead to corruption. But it doesn't HAVE to. Much good can be done with much money.

Jesus teaches us to be good stewards of His money (it IS His). He didn't teach us to be fools with it. If we have money, we're to bless people with it.
Jesus taught all of this?

Where?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
27,778 posts, read 43,646,500 times
Reputation: 14686
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
That's a horrible story and it shows a great problem with those in charge of that Church. However, we are supposed to tithe off our income.
With all due respect, no the Bible does not say that.

Nowhere in the Bible does it say that.

Israel was commanded to tithe from the first of their harvests.



Quote:
... Where is it supposed to go? Wherever your heart is led. Doesn't have to be the Church if you don't feel they're good stewards of your money. Give it to someplace you know it's going to good work.
If it it tithing, the Bible is very specific about where it must go.

The heave offering, the wave offering, the burnt offering.

None of it could go just anywhere.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville,Florida
3,772 posts, read 8,962,995 times
Reputation: 1962
Just give to the Lord whether it be cash,cows or corn because it iss all fom the Lord,give till it hurts.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2010, 05:08 AM
 
2 posts, read 2,175 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
And of that 85%, how much goes towards the "edification of the saints", or the praise of our God?
It doesn't matter, this discussion is about how more money won't solve hunger or homelessness. Truth be told though if you wish to justify 85% of 103Billion being spent on the edification of saints and praise to God, then why not use 85% of 300 Billion, or 85% of 800 billion to praise God? Either way, my point is proven that more money won't solve hunger because we believe that God and the saints really need 85%. it doesn't matter if we have 100 billion or 900 billion, our edification and God's glorification will always be the excuse to spend a majority of it on internal operations.

What is worship?
Matthew 25:37-40 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed [thee]? or thirsty, and gave [thee] drink?
When saw we thee a stranger, and took [thee] in? or naked, and clothed [thee]?
Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done [it] unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done [it] unto me.

james 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, [and] to keep himself unspotted from the world.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2010, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Walt Disney World
13,037 posts, read 6,821,078 times
Reputation: 1321
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
mm

No I know from a multitude of other verses that these two are being taken out of context and applied wrongly.

I still attend worship services each week, sometimes I give the sermon.

My role of late has been more often doing funerals though.
So what was Jesus referring to in that passage?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top