Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 10:33 AM

134 posts, read 123,113 times

Advertisements

It is all about giving from the heart in my opinion as is where our mind is directed towards our heavenly father,throw the percentages and calculators out the window and give with a cheerful heart unto the Lord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 12:08 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkes45675 View Post
It is all about giving from the heart in my opinion as is where our mind is directed towards our heavenly father,throw the percentages and calculators out the window and give with a cheerful heart unto the Lord.
Yes, I agree.

Also throw away the phrase "Tithe" since none of us today tithe in accordance with the Law anyway

Old 03-13-2010, 12:18 PM

823 posts, read 1,401,301 times
Yes, too many people spend too much time at Church and not enough time in their own community, helping their very own brothers and sisters. I know this first hand....I have a family member who is in great need of love and support....I am her neice.... she can no longer look after herself. I take time in my life to be with her and to show her love. Her very own sister goes to church every single day and does not even call upon her sister in need, not even a phone call. I truly do not understand this. I just don't get it! Thanks for letting me vent

Old 03-25-2010, 11:23 AM

2 posts, read 1,791 times
I think that we need to keep things in perspective .The law was from God to the Jews,in another time,in another land.im not jewish.....................

Old 03-25-2010, 12:18 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Tithing is a great question. I tithe, but it is true that it was different with the Jews. Remember that Israel was ran by the church, and tithes and other givings paid for the military and other services. So it was like paying taxes.

Has it changed? I don't know, but what I do know is that everything belongs to Christ and he put us in charge of managing our money, which is his money. So, we are actually managing his money.

I took a 20 hour Bible course about money, it was a real eye opener. It was by Crown Bible Financial Studys. I highly recommend it. The Bible talks about money over 2300 times.
I've never taken this study, but I know many who have and thought it was really informative. My husband and I would like to attend it soon.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:51 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
I've never taken this study, but I know many who have and thought it was really informative. My husband and I would like to attend it soon.
You should do it. It is a great way to get to know fellow Christians.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:00 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrw photos View Post
I think that we need to keep things in perspective .The law was from God to the Jews,in another time,in another land.im not jewish.....................
I understand and I agree.

I am not a few, I do not live by the Old Testament Law as if it were my guide of faith.

However it exists for my learning.

The principles in the Old Testament give the New Testament truths much greater colour and flavour.

Christians know that Jesus Christ was their Passover Lamb, but knowing all that the passover meant adds a great deal of importance to our Passover Lamb.

Reading about the 'Temple' not only applies to Solomon, nor does it only apply to Old Testament Levites. It applies to us today. We have a Temple. As the Old Testament believers were reverent toward their Temple, so today we should be toward the Body of Christ.

Every book of the Old Testament gives insight into life today as a Christian, specifically each book gives a facet of Christ's role.

A Christian today is going to have a hard time in his walk if he resolves to violate any of the Ten Commandments.

We can not simply walk away from, or ignore The Law.

Granted we are no longer under command to tithe 10% of our barley harvest, and of our herds.

However there are lesson sin that for us today. Long ago they were required to give from their fields for the upkeep of the Temple.

Today we still have a Temple, not made with hands, Christ is the chief corner stone upon which the temple stands. We are each stones fitly joined in that temple. We must all give to maintaining this temple.

Obviously not with money. As the Old Testament made that a sin, Jesus clearly referred to it and nowhere are we ever told to take up that 'evil thing'.

Any stone edifice that stands today, which people hold as holy is idolatry. We should all know this by now. How many times need the Bible lay it out for us?

The Old Testament is our schoolmaster, if we ignore the teachings in it, we are lost.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 1,791 times
Im not the school master on this,but If you STUDY...I mean really study.The Bible is a collection of books ,put together to tell the story and history of a people (Jews) They were for the most part believers that there was only one God,the same God was shared by the muslims.At a point in history the people split in their thinking and believing.At one point they thought god had even forgotten them.There was a word spoken many years before that a savior would come.When Jesus hit the scene,he was proclaimed to be that person.He was to bring them out of slavery and such.He didnt do that,but he took on a role to save the people and bring them back to the place of believing in the same God.(to Save them) the sin that they had committed was to stop believing in God.when Jesus said that none comes to the father except by the son' he meant that you needed to listen to him and follow the path he was sharing,not that you were to praise him.just praise God! when did jesus ever say "Praise Me"...he said to praise God.Jesus even said not to call him Good,that there was none good except the father (God).I was raised in a C.o.G.i.c church and I had to study for myself.somethings that we preach ,just dont make sense.we seem to try to use someone elses culture to role our lives by.promises made to Abraham are not promises made to us who are not Jewish....why do we rob God and try to take what he promised to others for ourselves?If you were born of the Bloodline of David & Abraham then reap the promises of God,but if you are not then you have to see what God has for you.stop trying to stick-up God !! you cant adopt yourself into someones family....they have to adopt you.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:50 PM

215 posts, read 545,058 times
And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:

But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises.

And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better.

And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth. (Hebrews 7:5-8)

And here men that die receive tithes; (the Levite priests)

but there he receiveth them, (but there in heaven Jesus receives them)

of whom it is witnessed that he liveth

That is so clear to those who have ears to hear!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity