Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 06:14 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Every pastor I've had.
And do you follow Gods commandments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 06:15 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
I believe that Churches are doing their members a huge disservice by walking on eggshells around this subject. If you read the Bible and believe what it says, we're stewards of our money, but it's not ours. We're told to give a minimum of 10% to God. How you do that is up to you (my personal thoughts), but God knows your heart.

What I keep trying to tell people that I meet is that you will never NEVER meet anyone that is worse off because they tithed 10% of their income. You will never meet someone that wasn't able to make the mortgage because they tithed. You'll never meet anyone that hasn't been richly blessed by tithing.

How does this work? By Faith. Period. If you are tithing, it's because you truly believe that God will watch over you and bless you for your good act.

I hear those that say, "I'll tithe when I can afford it", but I can promise you that if you tithe when you're in financial straits, you'll find your way out MUCH sooner.

Are you going to get a big check in your mailbox? Probably not. Might happen, but doubtful. But your bills may become more affordable. You may get a raise or awarded more hours at your job. You may be able to stretch the food budget a little more. BUT YOU HAVE TO TRUST IN GOD!!!

We don't tithe to beg God for help. We tithe in good times and bad, and God blesses us because of that.

I can honestly say that my business is thriving because I tithe and give God the credit for everything I achieve. I'm in a very tough and cut throat industry right now, and while so many are struggling and going out of business, I'm gaining market share each and every year.

Do I bust my tail to do so? Yep. But lots do and haven't seen the success I have. I work hard, but I'm experiencing what I am in my life because of tithing and trusting God. He's got a plan for each and every one of us, but we have to do our part.
God said, test me!

Old 01-07-2010, 07:02 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,498,268 times
Quote:
You really didn't get the point of my post. It said that God rewards us for tithing and that you'll never find anyone worse off because they're tithing.
I`m sure there are people who give money to the church regularly or put money on their credit card for the church..the elderly etc.who could be better off if they spent that money differently.. So I would have to disagree with this. There is no way you could prove that someone is worse off because they are tithing. You choose to believe they are not worse off,but you are making a statement that you can`t prove.

Quote:
You've got no idea what I make and what I do for others.
I never said I did.
Quote:
You obviously have a problem with money, but if I were to just give everything away, I'd have nothing more to give, correct?
Depends..do you trust God enough to provide? What did God tell the rich man? Sell EVERYTHING you own. Did the rich man say..well Jesus,if I did that I wouldn`t have any more to give?
Quote:
My continued success will provide me with the means to help others constantly.
and that`s usually the reason christians will give for making more and more money. It`s really not for them, oh no. They are doing it to help other people.

Quote:
It's not about having millions of dollars, because I don't. It's about taking what I've got, and GIVING much of it away, and knowing God will bless me because of this.
You shouldn`t be doing it because of what you think you will get in this lifetime or because how you think God will bless you.

Quote:
You know absolutely nothing about me, nor do you about anyone else, yet you're judging me.
I`m not judging you. I `m making a statement about money and christians in general. I even included myself. But your response speaks volumes.

Quote:
God's blessings aren't always financial. But you'll never find someone that's worse financially because they tithed.
Again, this is a false statement. There is no way you can sit there and say that EVERY elderly widow or single mom,etc wouldn`t be better off. If that is the case then it seems the more you give,the better off you would be. But yet,you are afraid to sell everything you have or give more than you do,because you are afraid you would be worse off and not have anything.
At least that`s what you said.

Quote:
THAT'S the point of the post.
Oh, I got the point of the post,trust me.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:21 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
I`m sure there are people who give money to the church regularly or put money on their credit card for the church..the elderly etc.who could be better off if they spent that money differently.. So I would have to disagree with this. There is no way you could prove that someone is worse off because they are tithing. You choose to believe they are not worse off,but you are making a statement that you can`t prove.

I never said I did.

Depends..do you trust God enough to provide? What did God tell the rich man? Sell EVERYTHING you own. Did the rich man say..well Jesus,if I did that I wouldn`t have any more to give?

and that`s usually the reason christians will give for making more and more money. It`s really not for them, oh no. They are doing it to help other people.

You shouldn`t be doing it because of what you think you will get in this lifetime or because how you think God will bless you.

I`m not judging you. I `m making a statement about money and christians in general. I even included myself. But your response speaks volumes.

Again, this is a false statement. There is no way you can sit there and say that EVERY elderly widow or single mom,etc wouldn`t be better off. If that is the case then it seems the more you give,the better off you would be. But yet,you are afraid to sell everything you have or give more than you do,because you are afraid you would be worse off and not have anything.
At least that`s what you said.

Oh, I got the point of the post,trust me.
You've obviously got ulterior motives in your posts, so the conversation will end here.

God blesses those that do what His Word says. Period.

If you have a problem with Christianity, and those that believe the Word, start a new post. This is about tithing and the blessings you receive from it, and nothing more.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:30 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,879 times
In researching a little bit of your past postings, I see why you're now posting so much about this. Let me tell you something, if you start tithing off of what you have...even if it's only pennies, you're going to see a turn in your life. If you give what you can, God will bless you. The woman in the Bible that gave the little bit of oil that she had was blessed much more than those that gave more, because she had less to give.

Try it, but not as a bargaining chip with God. If you believe God will bless you because of it, He will.

You can respond to this any way you like, but this will be my last post in this thread. If you're struggling financially, tithe. If you're blessed, tithe. God will work wonders in your life, but you've got to give Him the opportunity.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:35 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
In Matthew 23:23, Jesus condemns the Pharisees for paying tithing but neglecting to be obedient in other, even more important matters. He says, "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone."
Thank you

The example given here shows the Pharisees giving their tithe of forbidden objects, right?

No. They knew the Law and they were tithing of the items which the Law commanded of them.

Even Jesus says that the more important things are: "judgment, mercy, and faith"

Quote:
... He says we need to obey the "weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy and faith," but stresses that we should continue to be obedient in matters such as tithing (He is clearly referring to the paying of tithes as "the other" since He begins His senence by mentioning it specifically).
How so?

When Jesus says right there in the passage what the other things are.

Quote:
... Are you saying that paying a tithing is devilish? I think you're the one who needs to start looking for biblical evidence. Why on earth would you think tithing is devilish?
I did not say that tithing is devilish. Tithing was commanded in the OT. Jews were/are required to tithe.

At issue here is what do they tithe?

Does anyone ever read the Ten Commandments?

Plus the Bible is meticulous in it's detail about what tithing is.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Luke 10

1After this the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them two by two ahead of him to every town and place where he was about to go. 2He told them, "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field. 3Go! I am sending you out like lambs among wolves. 4Do not take a purse or bag or sandals; and do not greet anyone on the road.
5"When you enter a house, first say, 'Peace to this house.' 6If a man of peace is there, your peace will rest on him; if not, it will return to you. 7Stay in that house, eating and drinking whatever they give you, for the worker deserves his wages. Do not move around from house to house.

1 Tim 5

17The elders who direct the affairs of the church well are worthy of double honor, especially those whose work is preaching and teaching. 18For the Scripture says, "Do not muzzle the ox while it is treading out the grain," and "The worker deserves his wages."
Doe sit really work for you to combine snippets of verses from one passage to snippets from another and jam them together.

What about context?

'Honour' is never used to speak of money in any Bible context.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
If that is your belief,then that`s fine. There are also a lot of secular businesses that don`t give a hoot about God that are thriving and making millions. Most of the billionaires around the world probably don`t believe in Jesus Christ. Look at some of the men in the middle east who are sitting on oil or rulers in communist countries that are kings. They are not just getting by because they are tithing. God is not concerned with money. Money is an obstacle to your walk with God. You are busting your butt trying to make it or get ahead. Why? So you can eat better food, have more clothes, a bigger house? Why do you need a bigger market share? All the time you spend busting your butt for your business why not spend that extra time studying and meditating on God`s word?
There were a lot of poor men in the bible who were great men of God. Were the apostles rich? Jesus stayed with the poor and downtrodden.
Sell everything you have, including your business and give it all to the poor. Then trust God to take care of you. That is true faith. Not busting your butt trying to get a bigger market share and tithing a little of that money hoping God will give you more money so you can hord it for retirement, get a bigger house, more food, etc. There are people in this world starving everyday, while we eat the best foods, watch our cable tv, all snug and warm in our comfy houses, etc. All the while talking about God blessing us and making us richer while people starve to death. We have no idea about God and how to live our lives.
Excellent post.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
You've got no idea what I make and what I do for others. You obviously have a problem with money, but if I were to just give everything away, I'd have nothing more to give, correct? My continued success will provide me with the means to help others constantly.
No my friend it is God that has a problem with money.

In the OT and the NT, God consistently shows us that He has major issues with money. Which is why God never allowed cash to be brought in as a part of the tithe coming in to the Temple. It was a forbidden thing.

Do I truly need to site all of the passages that say this?

Money is an idol. The existence of money creates worship from among the people.

You can not serve these two masters.

If your focus is on money, it can not be on God.

Quote:
... It's not about having millions of dollars, because I don't. It's about taking what I've got, and GIVING much of it away, and knowing God will bless me because of this.
This very quote is still focused so much on money.

It is okay to give a bit of it away because I will get it back. Hello!

Is this idea in the Bible? No.

Once in the OT they were told to bring in their HARVEST and the floodgates of heaven blah blah blah. Never is their mention of money [because it was forbidden].

And never is floodgates mentioned again in the NT.

Quote:
... You know absolutely nothing about me, nor do you about anyone else, yet you're judging me.

God's blessings aren't always financial. But you'll never find someone that's worse financially because they tithed.

THAT'S the point of the post.
Again you focus on the cash.

sigh.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:09 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
No my friend it is God that has a problem with money.

In the OT and the NT, God consistently shows us that He has major issues with money. Which is why God never allowed cash to be brought in as a part of the tithe coming in to the Temple. It was a forbidden thing.

Do I truly need to site all of the passages that say this?

Money is an idol. The existence of money creates worship from among the people.

You can not serve these two masters.

If your focus is on money, it can not be on God.

This very quote is still focused so much on money.

It is okay to give a bit of it away because I will get it back. Hello!

Is this idea in the Bible? No.

Once in the OT they were told to bring in their HARVEST and the floodgates of heaven blah blah blah. Never is their mention of money [because it was forbidden].

And never is floodgates mentioned again in the NT.

Again you focus on the cash.

sigh.
There is nothing wrong with making money ,I am sure you have made money or are now receiving via pensions ,social security,it is the love of money that is evil not money itself.

We Christians put our full trust in the Lord and He will provide,money is one of the many mediums that we help others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity