U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 02:57 PM

2,733 posts, read 4,431,305 times

Advertisements

Hollywood freelancer seeks strategies to make sporadic earnings last - latimes.com

Thought this story/comments were interesting....Would you continue tithing or postpone tithing to gain some financial freedom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 03:20 PM

25,084 posts, read 13,273,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Hollywood freelancer seeks strategies to make sporadic earnings last - latimes.com

Thought this story/comments were interesting....Would you continue tithing or postpone tithing to gain some financial freedom?
Hmm that is an interesting question. I think tithing is really a personal and controversial matter. I mean a whole lot of churches/ministries use it as a tool to collect money. Some Christians practice it, some don't. Some tithe the gross, others the net. I think it is a spiritual matter and one the individual should commit to prayer before making a decision. To answer ur question I would postpone tithing if I believed it was the right thing to do.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:35 PM

7,412 posts, read 5,962,835 times
Paying tithes are not the law that Jesus gives to us, But paying to the Lord God charity though the church of Jesus is a point of contact to receive the Lord Blessing of his charity to us. Paying the 10 percent is a figure that is based of the stable posture in the eyes of Jesus..... If you pay 20 percent or 30 percent or 5 percent it does not matter , what matter is thqt if You tell Jesus that all you can give is 5 percent than make sure he knows before and he will bless you with his charity just the same.... In Genesis 14:18-23 faith of Abram said to king Sodom ¨¨I will not take thou any thing that is yours lest you should say I have made Abram rich¨¨ ....... for only Lord God can make Abram rich

Old 01-03-2010, 05:22 PM

3,772 posts, read 9,025,908 times
Tithing means 10 percent and when we don't tithe ,then we are robbing God. When we give from the heart we are putting God first by putting our cares and worries in to His hands and out of ours.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:46 PM

3,553 posts, read 4,175,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Tithing means 10 percent and when we don't tithe ,then we are robbing God.
Yea,,,and next comes the stoning. How can someone "rob" God when God has ownership control over everything? Maybe deceive or covered up,which is what קָבַע means,but robbed? Don't think so. Bad translation.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:55 PM

150 posts, read 248,263 times
Quote:
Tithing means 10 percent and when we don't tithe ,then we are robbing God. When we give from the heart we are putting God first by putting our cares and worries in to His hands and out of ours.
Your "robbing" God comment is commonly used by preachers and used out of context. It comes from Malachi chapter 3 and is spoken/written to the corrupt Levite priests who were improperly using the tithe that was brought to them. This is under the Law and the OLD Covenant.
Our Priest is in Heaven and His name is Jesus.[The Book of Hebrews]

Old 01-04-2010, 12:00 PM

3,772 posts, read 9,025,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Yea,,,and next comes the stoning. How can someone "rob" God when God has ownership control over everything? Maybe deceive or covered up,which is what קָבַע means,but robbed? Don't think so. Bad translation.
You're keeping of what is God's to begin with when we don't tithe properly or lack thereof,we put our faith and trust in Him,He will take care of our financial woes.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Status: "President Trump...still sounds good!" (set 8 days ago)

13,403 posts, read 7,046,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post

Tithing improved my overall personal finances.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:43 PM

2,739 posts, read 7,343,910 times
Quote:
You're keeping of what is God's to begin with when we don't tithe properly or lack thereof,we put our faith and trust in Him,He will take care of our financial woes.

IMO: There is no "tithe law" today under the new covenant. Tithing, what you are referring to, was under the law...the old covenant, which was replaced by the new covenant. Tithing is still commonly taught by many misled churches today, and by TV scam preachers, who can make a lot of money in a short time by dumping this old law onto believers backs.
Jesus never taught tithing to His disciples! What WAS taught in the N.T. was GIVING, out of a generous heart, and not because anyone "had to-or else". The disciples gave hugely: sold all that they had, and had everything in common! (talk about an example!) If we are not giving, then there is something wrong with our attitude. You give whatever percentage you feel led of God to do, not the legalistic 10%, or some such figure. Giving can also consist of your time, your skills, and your talents, such as volunteer work at your local church, senior center, jail ministry, assisted-living homes, etc. It's not that we "gotta give", it's that we should grow to the place where we WANT TO. We each ought to examine ourselves in this regard, and not be forcing the old testament law on anyone...because it does not apply to Christians today.
My parents stopped going to church over 70 years ago, because some minister told them they "had to" give a tithe of 10%, or they were "robbing God". And they've never gone back...all these years.
One has to wonder if the outcome would have been much different, had that preacher instead taught giving, out of a generous heart...

Bud

Old 01-04-2010, 03:55 PM

823 posts, read 1,007,338 times
My parents who are seniors give to Gods children by making tuna, egg salad and veggie sandwiches once a week and feeding the poor.

We go to Costco and buy gallons of mayo, mustard and tuna. This is another means of giving.

It doesn't always have to be by means of of the $$$. There are other ways of giving.

My parents are Catholic and gave $$$ for years and they do not go to Church any more as when they were in need the Church was too busy. They have taken the tithe $$$ and are now spending it on tuna and eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity