U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-08-2010, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Indianapolis
4,325 posts, read 4,868,001 times
Reputation: 660

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Do you believe God is big enough to have preserved His (written) Word to us? Did He choose not to, in your opinion?
I believe God has His word in several places and not just the bible. As we grow in consciousness, God reveals higher truths. We are not meant to stagnate but grow our soul conditions. By adhering to one set of truths stagnates the soul. We must expand our own truths and find those that reveal something more.

I believe there are inspiring truths in the bible, however, I don't believe all of the bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-08-2010, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville,Florida
3,772 posts, read 9,028,477 times
Reputation: 1963
It just shows that whether we are rich or poor we all need a Saviour,obviously we can't buy our way in to Heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Status: "President Trump...still sounds good!" (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: Walt Disney World
13,412 posts, read 7,055,762 times
Reputation: 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
I believe God has His word in several places and not just the bible. As we grow in consciousness, God reveals higher truths. We are not meant to stagnate but grow our soul conditions. By adhering to one set of truths stagnates the soul. We must expand our own truths and find those that reveal something more.

I believe there are inspiring truths in the bible, however, I don't believe all of the bible.
I guess that means no...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2010, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
22,318 posts, read 11,790,459 times
Reputation: 8227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
So, in your everyday dealings, do you believe what the source may tell you because everyone esle believes it
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
or do you question because your heart tells you if it's true or not?
Being that the Holy Spirit is in me - he communicates truth in me (see 1 Cor. 2).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Your source is the bible and if you step away from it to learn a higher truth,
There is no higher truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
what will happen? Lose friends, family, feel alone?
If I step away at this point, I will remain saved since the Holy Spirit is in me. As far as friends, family - I don't know - I don't control their actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
I did that and I found that I am not alone and that God is always with me, guiding me to peace and Love.
Says who - you have no source except yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Before that time, I was in hell, literally, so don't tell be the bible is the only book or that Jesus will save me because I know as fact neither one will. Only God and His love saves. All I had to do was ask.
Literally in hell? You need to talk to those who say there is no hell.

God's love is shown in the sending of His Son to die for us. You don't believe in that - how is God's love displayed to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
When you look with the mind, you cannot ever find truth. When you look with your heart, truth will reveal itself. You just have to be willing to listen.
The heart is more deceitful than all else And is desperately sick; Who can understand it? (Jer. 17:9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
My faith is in God and God alone. Jesus is my teacher and I know in my heart that His teachings are to be trusted. I may not read or adhere to your bible but I do know the Truth of Love. Love will prevail. It's the only thing that brings light to the soul.
What teachings? How can Jesus be your teacher if you don't believe in His death and resurrection? Jesus says He is the light of the world. You say love brings light to the soul. You are not listening to the Jesus in the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2010, 04:27 AM
 
Location: Indianapolis
4,325 posts, read 4,868,001 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
No.



Being that the Holy Spirit is in me - he communicates truth in me (see 1 Cor. 2).



There is no higher truth.



If I step away at this point, I will remain saved since the Holy Spirit is in me. As far as friends, family - I don't know - I don't control their actions.



Says who - you have no source except yourself.



Literally in hell? You need to talk to those who say there is no hell.

God's love is shown in the sending of His Son to die for us. You don't believe in that - how is God's love displayed to you?



The heart is more deceitful than all else And is desperately sick; Who can understand it? (Jer. 17:9)



What teachings? How can Jesus be your teacher if you don't believe in His death and resurrection? Jesus says He is the light of the world. You say love brings light to the soul. You are not listening to the Jesus in the Bible.
We are told by the orthodox churches that Jesus gave himself up willingly as a sacrifice, and because, as the Messiah, he had come for that purpose. He is supposed to take the place of the Hebrew sacrifice, the lamb, and he is called in the New Testament the "Lamb of God." As a matter of fact, the Old Testament sacrifice of an animal was never intended to take away sin, and this is shown by the fact that, although these sacrifices were not permitted during the Babylonian captivity, the people still put their faith in redemption through turning away from sin and seeking God through a life of moral and ethical conduct.


Jesus did sacrifice himself, indeed, but in a way never related or understood by the writers of the New Testament. Jesus went to his death because he would not deny his mission: that as the first human to attain through prayer an immortal soul filled with the Essence of the Father - the Divine Love - he was in this way the first true son of God, and therefore the Messiah. Jesus could have saved his life if he had retracted at his trial, but he died because he remained true to himself, true to his Messiahship, and true to the Father Who had sent him.
Jesus sacrificed his whole life preaching the Father's Love: He gave up home, his chance to marry and have a family of his own, and a chance to devote himself to the quiet pursuits of a Nazarene carpenter. Instead, he chose the hatred and opposition of those who understood not and preferred the status quo, he chose the incomprehension of his loved ones who considered him mad and sought to have him leave Galilee; he chose constant travels and journeys, so that often he had no place to lay his head; he chose to preach in the Temple at Jerusalem, chase the moneylenders, defy the conspiracy of those who sought his death, and bravely face the consequences of what he knew must inevitably occur. Yes, Jesus did sacrifice himself, but it is high time to put aside myth and metaphysics, and to know and to realize what that sacrifice consists of. When we understand his sacrifice, then Jesus stands forth in all his greatness, in all his courage, in all his serenity and forgiveness and love for mankind, with his absolute faith in the Father and His Love in that day of his teaching, tribulation, and death.

With the power inherent in his soul with the Divine Love, he simply dematerialized his mortal frame, announced in the spirit world the availability of immortality to mortals and spirits through the Father's Love, which he was the first to manifest, and then, on the third day, materialized a body like flesh and blood drawn from the elements of the universe; and that it was in this materialized body, which he was able to assume without mediumistic aid, that he appeared to Mary Magdalene and the others. It is the reason, he states, why Mary did not at first recognize him and thought him to be the gardener, and the same may be said of his disciples at Emmaus. The great misconception of Christians of all ages has been to believe that Jesus revealed himself to be part of the "Godhead" by this resurrection - that is to say, rising from the dead - but actually his feat consisted in the assumption of a flesh-like body, indeed, so real as to convince even the doubting Thomas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2010, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Vancouver, BC
823 posts, read 1,007,839 times
Reputation: 167
DRob4JC, you must understand that Reverend is following what Jesus came here to teach us about God and our way to be at-one with him. When you follow Jesus’ truths and pray to God for his Love…wonderful things happen to one’s soul.

Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' – Matthew 22:37-39

This is the #1 Commandment because you need to Love God with all of your heart and your soul and listen to what Jesus taught.

Love is greater than faith and hope because love is eternal, while faith and hope are temporal
1 Corinthians 13:8-13 (New International Version)

As Jesus informed Nicodemus, “you must be born again to enter the kingdom of God”. This is the transformation of the soul, from image to substance, from death to life, from mortality to immortality, from a human being to an angel and true child of God. Also, “But seek ye first the kingdom of God and all these things shall be added unto you”.
God provides and the mind of mankind cannot understand these most important teachings, but the awakened soul can, those souls that have prayed and received God's Divine love know this truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2010, 02:40 PM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,642 posts, read 7,143,546 times
Reputation: 1661
The height of arrogance. So all those millions of Jews, who died at the hands of Hitler, are now burning in hell because with their last breathe they didn't convert of Christianity? Yet, Hitler, himself once an altar boy, need only have prayed to Jesus to forget him and he would be in heaven?

I once saw on a talk show a christian preacher say almost the same thing, to a Rabbi. That unless he accepted "Jesus and converted, he was going to burn in Hell.

I cannot believe your arrogance. Personally, I think Tiger needs a good shrink, not a preacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2010, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Vancouver, BC
823 posts, read 1,007,839 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
The height of arrogance. So all those millions of Jews, who died at the hands of Hitler, are now burning in hell because with their last breathe they didn't convert of Christianity? Yet, Hitler, himself once an altar boy, need only have prayed to Jesus to forget him and he would be in heaven?

I once saw on a talk show a christian preacher say almost the same thing, to a Rabbi. That unless he accepted "Jesus and converted, he was going to burn in Hell.

I cannot believe your arrogance. Personally, I think Tiger needs a good shrink, not a preacher.
No. Those jews are not burning in hell.....and no.....that is not true in that Hitler would have to do a lot more than admit that he believes in Jesus to get to Heaven.....I am sure his repentance would take almost forever!

Do not believe all that you hear....that is why so many turn away from the bible as it is filled with a TON of contradiction and misinterpration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2010, 12:45 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
22,318 posts, read 11,790,459 times
Reputation: 8227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Jesus did sacrifice himself, indeed, but in a way never related or understood by the writers of the New Testament. Jesus went to his death because he would not deny his mission: that as the first human to attain through prayer an immortal soul filled with the Essence of the Father - the Divine Love - he was in this way the first true son of God, and therefore the Messiah.
Jesus was the son of God before He came to earth. He died to give life to those who believe in Him. John 3:16.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Jesus could have saved his life if he had retracted at his trial, but he died because he remained true to himself, true to his Messiahship, and true to the Father Who had sent him.
Jesus sacrificed his whole life preaching the Father's Love:
He preached about the kingdom of God. He preached about life in Himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
he prea He gave up home, his chance to marry and have a family of his own, and a chance to devote himself to the quiet pursuits of a Nazarene carpenter. Instead, he chose the hatred and opposition of those who understood not and preferred the status quo, he chose the incomprehension of his loved ones who considered him mad and sought to have him leave Galilee; he chose constant travels and journeys, so that often he had no place to lay his head; he chose to preach in the Temple at Jerusalem, chase the moneylenders, defy the conspiracy of those who sought his death, and bravely face the consequences of what he knew must inevitably occur. Yes, Jesus did sacrifice himself, but it is high time to put aside myth and metaphysics, and to know and to realize what that sacrifice consists of. When we understand his sacrifice, then Jesus stands forth in all his greatness, in all his courage, in all his serenity and forgiveness and love for mankind, with his absolute faith in the Father and His Love in that day of his teaching, tribulation, and death.

With the power inherent in his soul with the Divine Love, he simply dematerialized his mortal frame, announced in the spirit world the availability of immortality to mortals and spirits through the Father's Love, which he was the first to manifest, and then, on the third day, materialized a body like flesh and blood drawn from the elements of the universe; and that it was in this materialized body, which he was able to assume without mediumistic aid, that he appeared to Mary Magdalene and the others. It is the reason, he states, why Mary did not at first recognize him and thought him to be the gardener, and the same may be said of his disciples at Emmaus. The great misconception of Christians of all ages has been to believe that Jesus revealed himself to be part of the "Godhead" by this resurrection - that is to say, rising from the dead - but actually his feat consisted in the assumption of a flesh-like body, indeed, so real as to convince even the doubting Thomas.
Jesus revealed Himself to prove that He defeated death - and to give final instructions for the disciples.

I don't understand the purpose of this post. Are you proving that you know what the Bible says in metaphysical terminology?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2010, 01:18 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
22,318 posts, read 11,790,459 times
Reputation: 8227
Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post
DRob4JC, you must understand that Reverend is following what Jesus came here to teach us about God and our way to be at-one with him. When you follow Jesus’ truths and pray to God for his Love…wonderful things happen to one’s soul.
You need to understand that Reverend does not believe in the entire Bible. Reverend does not believe that Christianity is necessary. About Tiger, Reverend says...

Quote:
Why would he need to convert to christianity? There are other good religions out there that can help him if he is in the wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top