Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 02:19 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,066,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Tiger Woods is a very stupid individual (I came to that realization a few years ago when he said, he wasn't black), it's a fact;
Well to be fair..Woods is half Asian (one-quarter Chinese and one-quarter Thai), one-quarter African American, one-eighth Native American, and one-eighth Dutch

if anything he is Asian..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 02:26 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
It was a sincerely offered opinion by someone who must have found comfort in Christianity. Anyone is free to take it or leave it.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:31 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,454,679 times
I'd heard about this but hadn't actually heard what Hume said until I watched this video. In my opinion, this is actually the very thing that makes FOX news so deplorable. I'll be fair in saying that the other media outlets can be just as guilty of pushing their own subtle agendas as well; because this happened on FOX, I'll keep my criticisms to that.

The crisis of good, honest journalism we face in this country has turned Americans inside out and upside down and even pitted most of us against one another. My concern is less about what Hume said in and of itself and more about news organizations laying down anything but subtle agendas. The news should be about reporting on recent events. That's why they call it "News." The very thing we describe "The News" as is both a question and an answer. "What is new?" and "Here's what is new."

News does not consist of the semi-professional opinions of the reporters themselves unless it is to be labeled as an "Opinion Piece." Would anyone who ever saw Walter Cronkite deliver the news expect him to inject his own personal agenda or bias into his reporting in the same way that Hume did while also continually pushing the sales pitch "Fair and Balanced?"

Truly decent, honest, and good news reporting should come at the cost of allowing any reader, any listener, or any viewer the option to think for themselves; not to subconsciously agree with what they are being fed. The more the agendas spill into our media networks (MSNBC is just as guilty as FOX) the more divisive and opinionated it will make this country.

The worthy item of discussion here should not be the comment about Christianity. At this point, with the clear agenda and base FOX News appeals to, it should come as no surprise. The item of discussion should be that this is a news organization that consistently panders to a specific base by injecting opinions favorable to its' base and reporting it as news.

We should be angry any time a media outlet pushes upon us the idea that an opinion is fact. It is quite plain and evident that it is far too easy for the average citizen to confuse honest news reporting with opinions. Having guys like Hume on the morning news show pushing his own opinion does not make for a fair and balanced, objective, un-biased opinion - as FOX likes to advertise. This reeks more of unethical journalism, terrible news reporting, and obvious agenda building than it does proselytizing.

To those who find themselves agreeing or disagreeing over the statement: You've found yourself playing right into the hands of people telling you what to think by reporting an opinion piece as news!

Old 01-05-2010, 02:48 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,066,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
The worthy item of discussion here should not be the comment about Christianity.
I agree with just about everything except this sentence. Why I find it scary is that I would guess a majority of what Fox reports on (really any news service for that matter) concerns politics.

I find it extremely loathsome that Fox quite often wraps their political commentary up in a flag that bares the "Stars and Strips" on one side and "The Cross" on the other. It is a patented ploy to mine the rich religious Christian sentiment in this country for ratings AND it seeks to divide (in my opinion) the American people. I'm fine with people having different opinions however, you could EASILY watch Fox and come away feeling as though you aren't American enough if you aren't a "Christian".

Furthermore they mine that Christian gold to drive a clear political agenda per their media outlet.

Edit: --> I don't generally find myself watching the pundits anymore (any of them). When I do I fully understand if I'm watching news or commentary. If I want a story I generally find myself having to search for multiple sources to get the complete picture. I check the Christian Science Monitor first as they don't sensationalize the stories.

http://www.csmonitor.com/

Old 01-05-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I agree with just about everything except this sentence. Why I find it scary is that I would guess a majority of what Fox reports on (really any news service for that matter) concerns politics.

I find it extremely loathsome that Fox quite often wraps their political commentary up in a flag that bares the "Stars and Strips" on one side and "The Cross" on the other. It is a patented ploy to mine the rich religious Christian sentiment in this country for ratings AND it seeks to divide (in my opinion) the American people. I'm fine with people having different opinions however, you could EASILY watch Fox and come away feeling as though you aren't American enough if you aren't a "Christian".

Furthermore they mine that Christian gold to drive a clear political agenda per their media outlet.
I agree on this premise but my point in the previous post was that we should not be surprised by the injection of Christianity into a FOX News report (that's a large part of how FOX continues to appeal to its' base). We should be more angered and smitten that they (as well as other media outlets) continually inject their biased opinions into their news reporting and present them as facts. That's precisely how they manipulate and separate otherwise generally agreeable Americans.

To put it another way... I remember just prior to the invasion of Iraq, I was living in Japan and only had one channel on the Armed Forces Network - The News Channel. They would show FOX at 8 A.M. and then CNN at 9 A.M and then (I think) it was MSNBC after that. It was amazing to me how FOX would interview a retired general or a politician or a former marine and ask their opinion on how the invasion would go, what it should consist of, etc... In almost every case, the people interviewed were all for it, demanding we go in there, and some of them even said we were doing the "Work of God." Hardly ever was there a detractor.

Then, after FOX News went off, CNN would come on. Their reports I found to be a little more "balanced" as their interviews tended to consist of both detractors and supporters.

Then, MSNBC would come on and it was pretty much filled with nothing but detractors who supported a strictly liberal stance.

I got to thinking about something, though. What the hell are news organizations doing by getting opinions of all these people? These semi-professional people clearly had an opinion that was going to be in-line with the base the organizations pandered to in the first place. That's NOT news! That's an opinion! Even CNN, who seemed a little more balanced, kept asking generals, former soldiers, and politicians their opinions. Again, that's not news... That's pandering to a base.

The few media outlets that still do a good job are the "Nightly News" programs that CBS and NBC tend to put out. They are rarely critical of political, religious, or other affiliations. They tend to report the news in a fairly decent manner with very few "opinion" pieces thrown in there.

When we see all these interviews on Bill O'Reilly, Keith Olbermann, and even on the general "news" section - they are NOT news items - they are opinion items. What we see on CNN, FOX, MSNBC, etc... when all these "semi-professionals" are being interviewed having nothing to do with "What's new" and everything to do with "What opinion can we stroke and massage for our base?"

Thus, the issue is not as much about Christianity (though I do find it tasteless), but it shouldn't come as a surprise to us from a media organization that continually panders to a very strictly defined base. Our outrage should be at the clearly biased way in which FOX tries to pander to its base - up to and including having some jackass push his Christian faith out there.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:15 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,559,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I agree on this premise but my point in the previous post was that we should not be surprised by the injection of Christianity into a FOX News report (that's a large part of how FOX continues to appeal to its' base). We should be more angered and smitten that they (as well as other media outlets) continually inject their biased opinions into their news reporting and present them as facts. That's precisely how they manipulate and separate otherwise generally agreeable Americans.

To put it another way... I remember just prior to the invasion of Iraq, I was living in Japan and only had one channel on the Armed Forces Network - The News Channel. They would show FOX...............
There are no news organization in this country that isn't bias, so much so that more and more americans are turn towards the internet and immigrants would rather watch outside sources like BBC etc.......

The freepress died along time ago when stock owners and advertisers came into the picture.

I have no problem with someone trying to interject their faith after all secularists do it all the time.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
There are no news organization in this country that isn't bias, so much so that more and more americans are turn towards the internet and immigrants would rather watch outside sources like BBC etc.......

The freepress died along time ago when stock owners and advertisers came into the picture.

I have no problem with someone trying to interject their faith after all secularists do it all the time.
You're right... Unbiased news organizations are hard to find, if they really even exist. They're good for headline articles - to get a feel for what's going on out there. My main point is that I hear so many people using buzzwords they hear on media outlets like Fox News (and many others) that it makes me cringe to think that people truly cannot decipher the difference between honest reporting and manipulation.

What you have to be careful about is this, Fundy: Many Christians will probably celebrate Hume's candid response and opinion. As a result, he may get a few more followers, a few more listeners, and perhaps a few more viewers. People will rally behind him because they support his views on Christianity - without even knowing what they really are. The guy might have opinions in the future that could be deemed archaic, brutal, or *gulp* even un-Biblical by many. But, despite all of that, he'll still be the guy who spoke out about Tiger Woods needing to become a Christian. But, the public will have largely forgotten that in the future... In fact, if the guy does develop a following, the original reason behind his following might even be lost and he'll be presenting his opinions as news with a bunch of people nodding their heads in agreement simply because of a statement he made so many years ago that nobody even remembers.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:43 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,332,104 times
Hey everyone;

CSPAN

Old 01-05-2010, 04:15 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,146,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
And I suppose all of you know what's in Tiger's heart. Do you always listen to others without going to the source? Did you actually talk to Tiger to hear his truth? Gossip is evil so if you want to know what is true, talk to Tiger. Just one more reason I don't listen to news or gossip. Bad, bad, bad.

Why would he need to convert to christianity? There are other good religions out there that can help him if he is in the wrong. Until then, don't believe everything you hear on the news or from other ministers.
Reverend - I have to come back to this.

You can not believe this and be a Christian - because if really you knew what Christ provides, you would not even ask the question that is in bold above.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:32 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,406 times
well, aren't we suppose to evangelize, even if we don't really know what is in someone's heart. If they are not outwardly Christian, then I think it is fair to evangelize to them. Tiger Woods needs something only God can fill, that is certain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity