Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 09:43 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,126,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Perfect example of God perserving His word.
Yet it certainly knocks out the park your suggestion that not many jews fell to legalism . Which is why i quoted that passage of scripture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 09:51 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,880,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think Islam and Judaism both have concepts of forgiveness. I believe Yom Kippur is about forgiveness of sins. The Buddhist story of Angulimala is about forgiveness and turning a life around.

Still as a Christian I think one does believe Christianity is superior to other religions. If you don't you might as well be something else. However Christianity being superior should not necessarily be taken as any group of Christians being better.
Just FYI, Thomas, Buddhism is NOT a religion. It's a philosophy. There's no god, no threats, no obedience training, etc. Just one of the finer, more positive philosophies extant for a quiet, reflective and peaceful life. One that also respects all life on this planet, rather than placing man on some imaginary, arrogant pedestal of perfection and control.

Many Christians also accept and practice buddhism as a means of achieving a less ego- and humano-centric perspective on life, given that their religion is pretty much the opposite. ("And man shall have dominion over the lesser beasts..." Genesis 1:26.)

You agree, right?

Last edited by rifleman; 01-07-2010 at 10:05 AM..

Old 01-07-2010, 10:09 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,814,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Yet it certainly knocks out the park your suggestion that not many jews fell to legalism . Which is why i quoted that passage of scripture.
I see you point but I beleave you are missing mine. Remember I stated True Jews, any who had taken on legalism as there faith were not true Jews as the bible clearly states.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:26 PM

5,553 posts, read 7,978,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
If God didn't pick the Jews, He would have picked another people. Jesus was promised in the garden before there was any such thing as Israel
Is this really accurate or just another case of forcing the Christian hero back into an old vague prophecy that really had nothing to do with him?

Old 01-07-2010, 01:56 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,026,783 times
Quote:
Where did I say anyone turned from the bible? The majority of Jews read the Old Testiment but they follow the Talmund. Are you a Jew or just a Christian looking for an argument that is not going to happen.

When you say Jews just read the bible but follow the Talmud. I am a Jew and I have no reason to argue I am just stating the truth from my viewpoint. I am pointing out that the Talmud concerns the rules in the Torah so they are connected. The Torah is part of the bible.

Talmud- is a central text of mainstream Judaism, in the form of a record of rabbinic discussions pertaining to Jewish law, ethics, customs and history. The Talmud takes the rules listed in the Torah ( 5 books of Moses) and describes how to apply them to different circumstances. It concerns Halakhah / Jewish law.

With Judaism ( orthodox, conservative, reform, reconstructionist) halakhah is followed in varying degrees.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:58 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,594,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I knew I shouldn't have put it in question form. I wasn't confused by what you wrote. I should have just stated it clearly that you don't know what you are talking about.
I thought you were just curious at how I came to such a contrary conclusion, and, well, maybe curious to peer into the mind of a heretic. I understand that you may not have time for that, you know, in between saving people from eternal hell and all. no prob.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:00 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,594,601 times
Quote:
But you havent answered my question you have only made a accusasion.
I was using your post to make a point to Mike, not answering your question (which was addressed to someone else).

Old 01-07-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I see you point but I beleave you are missing mine. Remember I stated True Jews, any who had taken on legalism as there faith were not true Jews as the bible clearly states.
Are you missing the parts of the bible that gave the law to the Hebrews as they wandered in the desert? The same Hebrews who God made the covenant with at Mt. Sinai, and stayed with them as they entered Canaan? The Jews who throughout history have survived against insurmountable odds? I would say that God truly is with them because they are still here.

Why is it that the Christians on this forum seem to need to discredit Jewish Biblical history in a book that is the Hebrew bible that the Christians took as their bible?

Old 01-07-2010, 02:07 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,945,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I am not interested in the dictionary definition of religion. I am not interested in the worlds definition of religion.
I'll try again (I really don't think my post was insulting or off-topic). A common language is the way we agree to describe the world. If evangelicals want to quibble over the well-established meaning of words, it's okay with me. But in my opinion, it is a waste of time at best and a barrier to effective communication at worst.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
If God didn't pick the Jews, He would have picked another people. Jesus was promised in the garden before there was any such thing as Israel

Well I guess you can have your fantasy..... First off Jesus came well after the garden and in the garden there was not a bible as of yet. God did pick the Jews and the Jews chose to follow him.

The fact is that Judaism came first and Jesus was born to a Jewish family and thus he was Jewish, followed Jewish tradition. Had there been no Judaism history would be very different. There would have been no bible and no prophets and no Jesus and no Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity