Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 09:28 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,149,271 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I remember quite a few years ago that many people used to stand up in church or prayer groups and simply give their testimonies as to how they came to Know the Lord. I haven't heard a testimony for a long time and I love to hear them. Testimonies are so encouraging and I love hearing all the different ways that God pursues His people and how they respond.

Would you please share your testimony with me? It can either be short or long or be a testimony about someone else or a healing testimony. Let God lead you...

This forum has been such an inspiration to me and I truly have enjoyed and gained so much knowledge from listening to all of you. We truly are a very unique and beautiful tapestry of people...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 09:45 PM

696 posts, read 915,380 times
As I am new here and all I will offer up a small bit of myself.

I grew up in a broken home where my mother left my father for another woman. My father was a good man who served in the military and did nothing, but try to be a good father for me and my sister. My mother who I also love very much selfishly put us into a situation we should not have been in. We lived in a small town and I grew up with constant harrassment. If I stood up for myself my mother more often than not blamed me. Ironically for the very thing she created I would get in trouble for. The woman my mom choose to be her life partner per se was abusive who had children of her own who wanted nothing of her. I couldnt even sing a song around her as my voice was terrible for her while many others thought I could sing, which I now know I can, but cant in punblic anymore. The judge in the great state of NY deemed nothing wrong with my life and forced me to grow up with my mother until I was in my mid teens which I decided I would run away and die first before I continued.

Before my mother's change in life we went to church and I always loved God's stories. I got in trouble in the third grade for argueing against man coming from apes with another kid. Now that I think about it that was funny to me, but it points to a direction I have never seen till this past year. As soon as I could I left my childhood for the military, got married, and then got suicidal. I was court martialed too, but a wise old Warrant Officer took me aside with a chaplain and really got me thinking. However, I heard alot, but didnt listen. I commenced to drinking and honestly it seemed like women grew on trees for me. To this day I cant remember some of thier names. Of course this led to a divorce which even furthur dragged me down into depravity. The women kept on coming and coming until I met my wife now. She started to put me on the straight path, but then one day I weakened and lost myself again. The sad thing is I tried to have an affair, I truely did, but nothing would let me finish what I started. I left that affair broken and completely destroyed. I had no idea what I had done. Things became a shambles very quickly for me.

That's when I started to understand sin. I started reading the childhood books of my youth. I read the Bible every night. I joined a church and have become an usher and one who is known for actively participating in everything. I am quiet and dont talk much, but over time people of my church sit with me and discuss scripture. They tell me they are amazed at how I see the wisdom of the Bible. They dont know my depravity. Some of them probabely have not crossed the lines I crossed. However, my shattered life is mending slowly. It's not an overnight thing and it has so much more to go, but I trust in Christ. Sometimes it's difficult to understand, but even then I do know all that I have seen has brought me to this moment in time.

I hope this satisfies your witness

Old 01-06-2010, 09:55 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,046 times
My Life is a Witness to God's Mercy and Grace...
...I'll begin back in the year 1964...I was 7 years old. My earliest memories of my childhood are dark, and disturbing...to say the least. My father was an alcoholic...and mean...and I remember crouching in the dark hallway of our house, holding a 4 year old sister in one arm, and holding the 1 year old sister in the other arm, while we watched him beat, and throw our mother against the walls..and hearing her scream from the pain he was inflicting upon her......when he wasn't bullying her, he would turn on me, and with a full strong hand...slap me across the face...first on one side, then the other...I loved him so much...he was my knight in shining armor.......this continued on for the rest of my childhood, into my teen years...suffice to say, as a teen, I had no self-esteem...I certainly did not think of myself as being good for anything...nor did I think I could do anything right...for I was taught that I was a worthless piece of s**t. As far as I was concerned, I had no value...no worth...no purpose...no dreams...no hopes...no joy...I was a very, very depressed child, and a very, very depressed teenager.
When I turned 13...I was raped by a 22 year old...I didn't know what was happening...I only remember laying there on the cold, wet ground, next to a building in a dark alley...crying...as he quickly did what he did..and then he left...I didn't know him...but I cordially knew his younger brother from school...I didn't tell anyone what had happened out of fear of being beat...because I knew my dad would blame me...so I kept it closed up inside. I missed one period...two periods...my mother caught on and asked me one night in my room about it...I broke down in tears and confessed to her that I was pregnant...at 13...but I still didn't tell her that I was raped, because keeping my friends was more important, and I didn't want to get them in trouble, (my father would have killed this man)...(I was starving for acceptance). My mother told me I had to tell my father...so she went into the living room with me, and I knelt in front of my dad, and told him I was pregnant...so afraid of him...and these are the words that came from is mouth, that NEVER, EVER left me for the remaining days of my life...He said: "You are no better than a dog...even a dog doesn't know any better, get out of my sight you *****!"... Mother flew me to N.Y., to a hospital, and aborted the baby...to save face with their friends.

By the time I was 19 years old, I found my peace in alcohol and drugs...I was numb...I drank straight gin...vodka...whiskey...rum..smoked marajuana...snorted cocaine...did acid...gave my body to any man that would show me attention...one morning I woke up next to someone I never knew...he stunk..he was filthy...gross, and passed out...I didn't know where I was, but I got up, got dressed, walked out the door, and navigated my way home, on foot, and got home 4 hours later...hung-over...used...abused...feeling worthless and dirty and filthy......this walk home was the day I first looked up into the bright sun shining in my face...face covered in tears, I could hardly see where I was going through the tears...crying out to God to forgive me...and begging him to help me......Nothing happened right away, and I didn't realize it then, but this prayer changed the course of my life. I was 24 years old on this day.

I'll spare you all the awful details of what happened to me from the age of 24 up to the year I went to church in 1988, on an Easter Sunday, and I was sitting up in the balcony of the sanctuary, (as far back and away as possible), and the pastor..who was Benny Hinn...pointed up to me, and told me, that if I would love the Lord, and follow Him in His footsteps, and learn His ways, that He would bless me and my daughter..He called me down to the altar, layed hands on me, and prayed for deliverance...I was never to be the same again. (Prior to this day in church, from the age of 24 to the age of 31, I had been married, divorced, and had a little girl) I've held my first, lifeless grandchild in my hands, crying while holding him in my arms...I named him Gabriel...a little tiny boy..perfectly formed...still-born by my daughter...he died in her at 3 months old in the womb...When I finally met the man of my dreams, who loved me more than life itself, and asked me to marry him, we married in 1998...I led him in the sinner's prayer one evening...months later, we were sitting on the edge of our bed...writing out checks for our bills, and he dropped the pen that was in his hand onto the floor...I bent over to pick it up for him, and he fell forward...a massive heart attack...I held him in my arms waiting for the ambulance...begging him not to leave me. ..rocking him in my arms...he opened his eyes one final time and looked at me, and told me he loved me.....and he died in my arms. We had only been married for 1 1/2 years...the most beautiful 1 1/2 years of my entire life...and I knew he was going to be with the Lord, and he told me he loved me before he died...this is what kept me from totally ending everything...I went into a very, very, very deep, dark depression...closed myself up in my house, closed the windows and stayed in darkness...no joy...no sound...no colors...no music...no T.V...no people...no hope...I would watch the morning turn into the afternoon and the afternoon turn into the night, and do that over and over and over again for 4 years...until one night...I pressed the power-on button on my T.V. after not touching it for an entire 2 years...and on the T.V. was a pastor named Sammy Hinn, Benny Hinn's brother, I knew him personally...He was saying to me...Jesus wants you back...come out of your darkness into the light...into the arms of Jesus...He needs you....He needs me?...Does He really need ME?...I got down on my knees, and for the first time in over a year, I cried...and I cried, and I cried...all night...the next morning, for the first time, I saw a sky...and it was blue...I saw a red Cardinal sitting in a bright green tree, and I heard his song...I hadn't seen color or heard sounds in a long time...I only saw darkness and knew only silence...dead silence for so long...I awoke!! I opened my curtains...all of them...I dusted the furniture, and vacuumed the floors...did the laundry!!! The Love of God came into me, filled me...and opened up my mind again to see the beauty of His creation again...this occurred in the year 2003...and since then, I have grown and matured in the Lord..until I am where I am today...filled with joy...love for others...and especially love for myself...and know now how valuable I am to God...and that He treasures me...I have hope...dreams..a purpose...I love my father...the earthly one who used to beat me...he's different now...he loves me and he is so sorry for those bad years...I have forgiven him totally...my ex-husband stays in contact with me, he respects me, my daughter is doing wonderfully...she gave me another grandchild...alive and kicking...cooing and burping and smiling....OH GOD!!!!.....THANK YOU FOR YOUR BLESSING UPON MY LIFE!!! THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING I HAVE BEEN THROUGH>>>>IT HAS MADE ME THE FANTASTIC PERSON I AM TODAY!! And I wouldn't change a single thing....nothing...because I am strong now...confident...loving...compassionate...and I understand what it feels like to suffer...and I know what rejection and pain feels like...so I can be a blessing to others who come up behind me who are experiencing the same things I did...and I can help them get through it a little easier...I am a walking testimony to the Love, the mercy, and the grace God has for a sinner living in pure hell...in pure darkness...LOOK what My God can do!!...And if He can do it for me...He can and will do it for you...if you let Him!!!

Love,
Verna

Old 01-06-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschultz73 View Post
As I am new here and all I will offer up a small bit of myself.

I grew up in a broken home where my mother left my father for another woman. My father was a good man who served in the military and did nothing, but try to be a good father for me and my sister. My mother who I also love very much selfishly put us into a situation we should not have been in. We lived in a small town and I grew up with constant harrassment. If I stood up for myself my mother more often than not blamed me. Ironically for the very thing she created I would get in trouble for. The woman my mom choose to be her life partner per se was abusive who had children of her own who wanted nothing of her. I couldnt even sing a song around her as my voice was terrible for her while many others thought I could sing, which I now know I can, but cant in punblic anymore. The judge in the great state of NY deemed nothing wrong with my life and forced me to grow up with my mother until I was in my mid teens which I decided I would run away and die first before I continued.

Before my mother's change in life we went to church and I always loved God's stories. I got in trouble in the third grade for argueing against man coming from apes with another kid. Now that I think about it that was funny to me, but it points to a direction I have never seen till this past year. As soon as I could I left my childhood for the military, got married, and then got suicidal. I was court martialed too, but a wise old Warrant Officer took me aside with a chaplain and really got me thinking. However, I heard alot, but didnt listen. I commenced to drinking and honestly it seemed like women grew on trees for me. To this day I cant remember some of thier names. Of course this led to a divorce which even furthur dragged me down into depravity. The women kept on coming and coming until I met my wife now. She started to put me on the straight path, but then one day I weakened and lost myself again. The sad thing is I tried to have an affair, I truely did, but nothing would let me finish what I started. I left that affair broken and completely destroyed. I had no idea what I had done. Things became a shambles very quickly for me.

That's when I started to understand sin. I started reading the childhood books of my youth. I read the Bible every night. I joined a church and have become an usher and one who is known for actively participating in everything. I am quiet and dont talk much, but over time people of my church sit with me and discuss scripture. They tell me they are amazed at how I see the wisdom of the Bible. They dont know my depravity. Some of them probabely have not crossed the lines I crossed. However, my shattered life is mending slowly. It's not an overnight thing and it has so much more to go, but I trust in Christ. Sometimes it's difficult to understand, but even then I do know all that I have seen has brought me to this moment in time.

I hope this satisfies your witness
You have a very beautiful testimony. And don't be too hard on yourself, I am sure there are many people that came from similar backgrounds. What an amazing story of grace, forgiveness and the truth of how Jesus forgives and changes lives.. I love it and appreciate your honestly in sharing. You have truly encouraged me..

You are precious gold being refined...

Old 01-07-2010, 12:49 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,434,646 times
On my knees, crying my eyes out, a second time.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:28 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,622,031 times
Very moving testimonies, Verna and Aschultz. Thank you for having the courage to share

Old 01-07-2010, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
My Life is a Witness to God's Mercy and Grace...
...I'll begin back in the year 1964...I was 7 years old. My earliest memories of my childhood are dark, and disturbing...to say the least. My father was an alcoholic...and mean...and I remember crouching in the dark hallway of our house, holding a 4 year old sister in one arm, and holding the 1 year old sister in the other arm, while we watched him beat, and throw our mother against the walls..and hearing her scream from the pain he was inflicting upon her......when he wasn't bullying her, he would turn on me, and with a full strong hand...slap me across the face...first on one side, then the other...I loved him so much...he was my knight in shining armor.......this continued on for the rest of my childhood, into my teen years...suffice to say, as a teen, I had no self-esteem...I certainly did not think of myself as being good for anything...nor did I think I could do anything right...for I was taught that I was a worthless piece of s**t. As far as I was concerned, I had no value...no worth...no purpose...no dreams...no hopes...no joy...I was a very, very depressed child, and a very, very depressed teenager.
When I turned 13...I was raped by a 22 year old...I didn't know what was happening...I only remember laying there on the cold, wet ground, next to a building in a dark alley...crying...as he quickly did what he did..and then he left...I didn't know him...but I cordially knew his younger brother from school...I didn't tell anyone what had happened out of fear of being beat...because I knew my dad would blame me...so I kept it closed up inside. I missed one period...two periods...my mother caught on and asked me one night in my room about it...I broke down in tears and confessed to her that I was pregnant...at 13...but I still didn't tell her that I was raped, because keeping my friends was more important, and I didn't want to get them in trouble, (my father would have killed this man)...(I was starving for acceptance). My mother told me I had to tell my father...so she went into the living room with me, and I knelt in front of my dad, and told him I was pregnant...so afraid of him...and these are the words that came from is mouth, that NEVER, EVER left me for the remaining days of my life...He said: "You are no better than a dog...even a dog doesn't know any better, get out of my sight you *****!"... Mother flew me to N.Y., to a hospital, and aborted the baby...to save face with their friends.

By the time I was 19 years old, I found my peace in alcohol and drugs...I was numb...I drank straight gin...vodka...whiskey...rum..smoked marajuana...snorted cocaine...did acid...gave my body to any man that would show me attention...one morning I woke up next to someone I never knew...he stunk..he was filthy...gross, and passed out...I didn't know where I was, but I got up, got dressed, walked out the door, and navigated my way home, on foot, and got home 4 hours later...hung-over...used...abused...feeling worthless and dirty and filthy......this walk home was the day I first looked up into the bright sun shining in my face...face covered in tears, I could hardly see where I was going through the tears...crying out to God to forgive me...and begging him to help me......Nothing happened right away, and I didn't realize it then, but this prayer changed the course of my life. I was 24 years old on this day.

I'll spare you all the awful details of what happened to me from the age of 24 up to the year I went to church in 1988, on an Easter Sunday, and I was sitting up in the balcony of the sanctuary, (as far back and away as possible), and the pastor..who was Benny Hinn...pointed up to me, and told me, that if I would love the Lord, and follow Him in His footsteps, and learn His ways, that He would bless me and my daughter..He called me down to the altar, layed hands on me, and prayed for deliverance...I was never to be the same again. (Prior to this day in church, from the age of 24 to the age of 31, I had been married, divorced, and had a little girl) I've held my first, lifeless grandchild in my hands, crying while holding him in my arms...I named him Gabriel...a little tiny boy..perfectly formed...still-born by my daughter...he died in her at 3 months old in the womb...When I finally met the man of my dreams, who loved me more than life itself, and asked me to marry him, we married in 1998...I led him in the sinner's prayer one evening...months later, we were sitting on the edge of our bed...writing out checks for our bills, and he dropped the pen that was in his hand onto the floor...I bent over to pick it up for him, and he fell forward...a massive heart attack...I held him in my arms waiting for the ambulance...begging him not to leave me. ..rocking him in my arms...he opened his eyes one final time and looked at me, and told me he loved me.....and he died in my arms. We had only been married for 1 1/2 years...the most beautiful 1 1/2 years of my entire life...and I knew he was going to be with the Lord, and he told me he loved me before he died...this is what kept me from totally ending everything...I went into a very, very, very deep, dark depression...closed myself up in my house, closed the windows and stayed in darkness...no joy...no sound...no colors...no music...no T.V...no people...no hope...I would watch the morning turn into the afternoon and the afternoon turn into the night, and do that over and over and over again for 4 years...until one night...I pressed the power-on button on my T.V. after not touching it for an entire 2 years...and on the T.V. was a pastor named Sammy Hinn, Benny Hinn's brother, I knew him personally...He was saying to me...Jesus wants you back...come out of your darkness into the light...into the arms of Jesus...He needs you....He needs me?...Does He really need ME?...I got down on my knees, and for the first time in over a year, I cried...and I cried, and I cried...all night...the next morning, for the first time, I saw a sky...and it was blue...I saw a red Cardinal sitting in a bright green tree, and I heard his song...I hadn't seen color or heard sounds in a long time...I only saw darkness and knew only silence...dead silence for so long...I awoke!! I opened my curtains...all of them...I dusted the furniture, and vacuumed the floors...did the laundry!!! The Love of God came into me, filled me...and opened up my mind again to see the beauty of His creation again...this occurred in the year 2003...and since then, I have grown and matured in the Lord..until I am where I am today...filled with joy...love for others...and especially love for myself...and know now how valuable I am to God...and that He treasures me...I have hope...dreams..a purpose...I love my father...the earthly one who used to beat me...he's different now...he loves me and he is so sorry for those bad years...I have forgiven him totally...my ex-husband stays in contact with me, he respects me, my daughter is doing wonderfully...she gave me another grandchild...alive and kicking...cooing and burping and smiling....OH GOD!!!!.....THANK YOU FOR YOUR BLESSING UPON MY LIFE!!! THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING I HAVE BEEN THROUGH>>>>IT HAS MADE ME THE FANTASTIC PERSON I AM TODAY!! And I wouldn't change a single thing....nothing...because I am strong now...confident...loving...compassionate...and I understand what it feels like to suffer...and I know what rejection and pain feels like...so I can be a blessing to others who come up behind me who are experiencing the same things I did...and I can help them get through it a little easier...I am a walking testimony to the Love, the mercy, and the grace God has for a sinner living in pure hell...in pure darkness...LOOK what My God can do!!...And if He can do it for me...He can and will do it for you...if you let Him!!!

Love,
Verna
Oh My Gosh Verna,

Your testimony...well what can I say as I sit here with tears streaming down my cheeks. Thank you so much for your testimony.

I won't go into it...not right now, but my testimony is very similar...The only thing different is I haven't had such a personal touch by anyone as you did with Binny Hinn and his brother. Many years ago I used to judge Binny Hinn until God told me to stop and I never have judged him again. Many people say he isn't of the Lord but I never believed that because God told me not to judge. Now you have testified to a healing in your life that is so beautiful...so perfect and obviously bears witness to the scripture in Matthew 10:26 that says:

Jesus looked at them and said: With man this is impossible but with God ALL things are possible.

and Genesis 50:20
You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.

Amen and Glory to God... Certainly by His stripes we are healed...
May the Son of God shine down on your heart and life my dear sister...

With God all things are truly possible.. Thank you for blessing my life.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
On my knees, crying my eyes out, a second time.
Amen to that...and may many be saved from these moving testimonies...
God truly is the God who Saves and Heals... Our Jehovah Rapha (the God who heals)

Old 01-07-2010, 04:06 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,696,510 times
A short version of my conversion:

Well, I always believe there was a God yet that was the extent of it. I was not raised in a Christian home or had anyone in my life that was any part of the Christian life.......!

Till one year many years ago.....
A cousin & his wife of my hb came to stay a couple of weeks with us. He was in construction and his work brought him to our town. So during this time they stayed with us....

My hb cousin wife was the beginning of it all. There was something about her that was different then those I had met in my hb family.
Every morning she would come out of the guest room and get herself a cup of coffee and disappear back into the room for an hour or two, maybe even longer. Of course I thought to myself what on earth is she doing.....? She didn't seem shy or unsociable.
Then one day as I was passing by the room I just so happen pop my head in and there on the bed was a bible opened up and something like a journal along with some other books. Well, I went on doing what I was doing not saying anything or questioning about her morning ritual.....

Of course I thought to my self, "Hmmm " as I said before, I knew there was a God...but that was the extent of it and I guess that is all I wanted to know, didn't want to go there with her to be honest! I had no interest in the religious thing....

Then one day the subject came up....not a whole lot said. She never even talked to me about the gift of salvation through Jesus Christ. But, I do remember her saying to me if you ever decided to read the bible always ask God to open it to you. That was it....

Wrong....
A month or so down the road there came a curiosity, an urge to get a bible and read it.... So I did! Not knowing at the time it was the Holy Spirit whom was drawing me, creating that curiosity, urge......
It was a warm spring morning, so I grab a glass of ice tea and went into my back yard with the bible and started reading it. I remember I started reading in the book of John.
To this very day the two things that stuck out to me was when it talked about the lamb, I literally thought it was talking about an animal.
When it came to the light and darkness to me they were discussing night and day (now I see I was comprehending with the natural mind).....So I wasn't getting anything from what I was reading so I put it down and that was it. I thought....LOL!! God had another plan for this girl'....life!!!

Time had pass and again I got that urge (His Holy Spirit) to read it again (God is so patient with us). I thought there had to be something that my hb cousin wife found so intriguing about it. So once again on my day off from work I got another glass of ice tea and ventured into my back yard to read it. But, this time I remembered what was shared with me, to ask God to open it up to me.
That's when it all began in my life.

God began to open His precious word to me.....to this very day I can still remember what I experienced and the excitement I felt. It was like someone had turned a light on in my thoughts, heart and the confusion of what I was reading I began to understand what this book was talking about....
That the Lamb was the Son of God, the light and darkness..... was that Jesus was the Light of the world, which before all this I had never heard of a Jesus.....and I was beginning to see that the darkness was the life I was living in sin!! Talk about a WOW....
I was so excited about it that I was calling everyone I knew to tell them what I had discovered about Jesus. I know people thought I had flipped my lid....

The next day....not knowing at the time it was the Holy Spirit again, drawing me, putting that within my heart to know more of this Jesus.....Then it became reality to my life. I saw I needed this Jesus! I saw I was on a road of destruction of sin and in order to get off that road I needed to come to God the Father, but only through Jesus Christ His Son is how I could.
Wow, what a revelation it was to my heart .
I saw how I lived most of my life in this darkness of sin and the deception of walking independent, ruler of my life. Until the Holy Spirit showed me I needed to asked Jesus to forgive me for that life I was living and to come into my life and heart to live.

I have not regretted the day making that decision to get off the throne and let Jesus be that Ruler, Lord of my life!
A good place to be! I wouldn't want to be anywhere else to this very day. Am glad He is faithful too keep me there. Because without Him I am nothing!!! And am thankful to God for bringing this cousin into my life, that the Holy Spirit used to begin His work in my life....

Blessings

Old 01-07-2010, 05:55 AM

164 posts, read 490,554 times
Psalm 40. 1,2 "I waited patiently for the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry. He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings."

Christmas 1972 was my first Christmas away from home. I was in the Army stationed at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. I received a package from Mama. As I opened it, I uncovered some fresh Georgia pecans, some homemade fruitcake, a bottle of fresh cane syrup, and a few other items. At the bottom of the box was a Bible. During that period of my life, I really didn't have much to do with God and his ways.

During the following years, I would sometimes pick up that Bible and try to read...I sure didn't understand much of what I was reading. All the begats got to me.

The years 1985 and 1986 were trying times for me. I was still in the Army and was having a great career when my family life fell apart. My wife walked out and left me with three small children. At first, I tried to put the blame on others when deep inside I knew I was to blame. I needed something but didn't know what would ease my pain.

Well, I was brought up in church (Proverbs 22.6: "Train up a child in the way he should go; and when he is old, he will not depart from it.") I figured I'd go to the local church for help. As I counseled with the pastor, he gave me a sheaf of papers I had to read and fill out, and then he would talk to me about becoming a member..I didn't need that! I needed Jesus, but no one pointed me to Him.

On January 3, 1987, about 9:30 PM, I looked up on the bookshelf. There was that Bible my Mama had given me years ago. I pulled it down, dusted off the cover, and opened it up. The words of the Psalmist (Psalm 40. 1,2,) jumped off the pages and spoke to my heart. As tears poured down my cheeks, I said "God, if You are real, save me!" Immediately Jesus came, and I was born again and I knew it! I felt like I was being washed whiter than snow.

You see, I had been under conviction of the Holy Ghost for a long time. God rearranged the circumstances of my life to get my attention. Thank God for a Mama who thought enough of me to give me a Bible.

Matthew 11.28 "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

Since that day over 23 years ago, the Lord has used me greatly..in all kinds of ways...Parents, don't give up on your children..Continue to pray for them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity