Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 07:36 AM

125 posts, read 300,891 times

Advertisements

Just wondered why are why not.
Just a note one argument cannot explain away 600 books, several sure but not all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 07:42 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,517,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeThinkerInTex View Post
Just a note one argument cannot explain away 600 books, several sure but not all.
Do you mean the apocryphal books? if so then the one argument is the Holy Spirit

Old 01-07-2010, 07:45 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,188,944 times
Quote:
I've read all kinds of scripture:

Apochrayphal texts
Nag Hammadi scripture
Dead Sea scrolls
Gopel of the Nazarenes
Hebrew Gospel of Matthew
Etc....

You can't learn the truth if you only read what Rome wanted you to read (i.e. the bilble)....that is why we have the Spirit to guide us into ALL TRUTH!

Old 01-07-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post

Apochrayphal texts
Nag Hammadi scripture
Dead Sea scrolls
Gopel of the Nazarenes
Hebrew Gospel of Matthew
Etc....

You can't learn the truth if you only read what Rome wanted you to read (i.e. the bilble)....that is why we have the Spirit to guide us into ALL TRUTH!
Actually it wasn't just Rome, it also made it through the reformations so if it is the Holy Spirit that guides us to the truth why isn't it in the bible?

Old 01-07-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
This was the criteria used for recognizing and collecting the word of God;

1) Was the book written by a prophet of God? (Most imporatnt)
2) Was the writer authenticated by miracles to confirm his message?
3) Does the book tell the truth about God, with no falsehood or contradiction?
4) Does the book evince a divine capacity to transform lives?
5) Was the book accepted as God's Word by the people to whom it was first delivered?

You never hear these on the History Channel

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 01-07-2010 at 08:09 AM..

Old 01-07-2010, 08:13 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,319,957 times
I'm familiar with the apocryphal books included in the Septuagint such as Tobit, Sirach, Wisdom of Solomom, 1-4th Maccabees and I examined the available Greek text of the book of Enoch, I do however not consider any of them to be inspired writings, though I like Sirach.

Honestly I slightly doubt if the letter of Jude is an inspired writing, for it seems to quote two apocryphal works but that needn't mean anything.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:56 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,026,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
This was the criteria used for recognizing and collecting the word of God;

1) Was the book written by a prophet of God? (Most imporatnt)
2) Was the writer authenticated by miracles to confirm his message?
3) Does the book tell the truth about God, with no falsehood or contradiction?
4) Does the book evince a divine capacity to transform lives?
5) Was the book accepted as God's Word by the people to whom it was first delivered?

You never hear these on the History Channel

Yeah heaven forbid we listen to what biblical scholars, archeologists have to say.

Also why would you accept anything from the people (Jews) to whom it was first delivered if you think they are akin to devil worship?

Old 01-07-2010, 09:02 AM

6,370 posts, read 6,998,736 times
Quote:
I haven't given them all consideration. I have thrown out the Naghammani texts. I do believe in the Hebrew Gospel of Matthew (published again by George Howard). I also believe in the infancy Gospel of James, Clement I and II, and the Epistle of Barnabas. I believe there are most likely many more.

Paul

Old 01-07-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Yeah heaven forbid we listen to what biblical scholars, archeologists have to say.

Also why would you accept anything from the people (Jews) to whom it was first delivered if you think they are akin to devil worship?
We did and that's why we have a bible.

Those are some bizarre, inaccaurate, contradictory comments

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 01-07-2010 at 09:57 AM..

Old 01-07-2010, 11:35 AM

63,463 posts, read 39,732,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post

Apochrayphal texts
Nag Hammadi scripture
Dead Sea scrolls
Gopel of the Nazarenes
Hebrew Gospel of Matthew
Etc....

Amen. The only way to sort out the wheat from the chaff is to read ALL the different viewpoints and find the common threads. The best way to see reality is through the eyes of as many people as possible. We are all looking at and interpreting the SAME reality . . . we just apply our own perceptual biases and expectations to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity