Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 02:18 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Okay you're missing the point here because they weren't "legalistic"....the definition of legalism is the strict adherence, or the principle of strict adherence to law.

Did the Scribes and Pharisees follow a strict adherence to the law....NO....which is what Jesus berated them for. They watered down Gods Law and taught that their own oral traditions were to be followed before Gods Law. This is exactly what Jews today do....their oral traditions hold more weight than Gods Laws.

The Saducees were the legalists....they followed with strict adherence Gods Laws and they were never berated by Jesus for that.

So back to my original question: Please explain to me where this notion that the Scribes of Pharisees were legalistic came from....and please provide scripture along with your response.
Legalism "can" be strict adherence to the Law. It is primarily a doctrinal position emphasizing a system of rules and regulations for achieving both salvation and spiritual growth. It flies directly in the face of grace. All Christians can be legalistic and we strive not to fall in that trap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 02:20 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Legalism is not just strict adherence to the Law. It is primarily a doctrinal position emphasizing a system of rules and regulations for achieving both salvation and spiritual growth.
Do you believe that we as Christians can ignore Gods Laws because they don't apply to us?

Old 01-07-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Do you believe that we as Christians can ignore Gods Laws because they don't apply to us?
That's not the question because if we love truly love God we wouldn't ignore His laws.

If I follow the law because I want to please God is not legalism but if I do it in order to be a Christian and obtain salvation then that is legalism.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
That's not the question because if we love truly love God we wouldn't ignore His laws.

If I follow the law because I want to please God is not legalism but if I do it in order to be a Christian and obtain salvation then that is legalism.
Do you believe you can retain your salvation without being obedient to Gods Laws?

Old 01-07-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Do you believe you can retain your salvation without being obedient to Gods Laws?
That's like asking, can you fly without feathers? yes and no. They go hand in hand Christy. If you are not obedient to God's laws or even try to be obedient to His Laws shows you are not saved.

Jesus said, if you love me you will keep my commandments.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:50 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,902,973 times
Quote:
They weren't legalistic at all is the point I'm trying to make.....they didn't follow a strict adherence to Gods Laws like the Saducees did....this is why Jesus berated them so harshly. They put a yoke of bondage on the people with their oral traditions and taught them as law while neglecting Gods Laws.
Following the dictionary definition of "legalism" you're right. Jesus would not have had an issue with them if they truly followed all of God's laws the way God intended. But my sense is that nowadays the word "legalism" amongst Christians tends to convey the idea that you follow the letter of the law without regard to the heart behind the law.

There are two ways to be "legally" circumcized, only one of which God gives a hoot about.
  • Romans 2:26 Therefore if the uncircumcision keep the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision? 27 And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law? 28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: 29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.
Some (like me) would tend to call outward circumcision without inward circumcision being "legalistic". That may be an abuse of the term, but I think that's why you're seeing it applied to the pharisees.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
That's like asking, can you fly without feathers? yes and no. They go hand in hand Christy. If you are not obedient to God's laws or even try to be obedient to His Laws shows you are not saved.

Jesus said, if you love me you will keep my commandments.
Good answer Fundy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity