Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2010, 02:39 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,434,005 times

Advertisements

The topic of the debate

The Deity of Jesus Christ - For and Against

The opponents of the debate, and what positions they will argue

Sciotamicks - For
Katonjj - Against

The scope of the debate

The Old Testament and New Testament

The length of the debate, in number of rounds

Unlimited. Each round must be countered in the succeeding round so that the subjects are not lost. Any succeeding round must then be countered in the succeeding round.

Whether statements will be made concurrently or in turns, and if the latter, who goes first

Statements must be made in turns.
Sciotamicks will present the argument for the Deity of Jesus Christ to begin the debate, and Katonjj will counter

The maximum length of each round, including counter arguments involving separated quoted formats

No limits

The time limit between statements

No time limits in effect, as we both, are very busy

The extent to which quotes and references from outside sources will be allowed

Quotes must be sourced and rightfully credited, but within the parameters of the City Data

The starting date of the debate

Whenever the parties are ready to begin

Any additional rules or a debate format that debate participants must observe

See guidelines for City Data - Stressing attack the view only
No other parties are allowed in this debate except for the two participants.
If you choose to post in this thread, it will be requested to be deleted by the moderators.
Please refrain. Members at City Data can create another thread discussing the topics within this thread.

Last edited by sciotamicks; 01-08-2010 at 03:17 PM..

Old 01-08-2010, 02:42 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,768 times
My 2 cents

(Philippians 2:5-8) (NASB) Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus,

6 who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped,

7 but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men.

8 Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.”

Old 01-08-2010, 02:54 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,526,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
My 2 cents

(Philippians 2:5-8) (NASB) Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus,

6 who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped,

7 but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men.

8 Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.”
Shall we start here sciota? and what do you mean by no less than 1000 words? can't we just be civil and not count words LOL who is the word counter anyway?

Old 01-08-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Shall we start here sciota? and what do you mean by no less than 1000 words? can't we just be civil and not count words LOL who is the word counter anyway?

No problem Kat, I will begin and will edit the word count.
I may not be able to counter you today after you counter me, but we will get this going as long as people will NOT post here.
Thanks for your participation.

Last edited by sciotamicks; 01-08-2010 at 03:18 PM..

Old 01-08-2010, 03:05 PM

If you are not Sciotamicks or Katonnjj, DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD

I will begin with an exegesis of John 1, a post I had made at the end of last year 2009, and will present it again to be countered. More scriptures will be provided as the debate continues to expound this theology:

Christ is Deity

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. There was a man sent from God, whose name [was] John. The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all [men] through him might believe. He was not that Light, but [was sent] to bear witness of that Light. [That] was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. He came unto his own, and his own received him not. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, [even] to them that believe on his name. Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.

The first thing to do here is to explain the difference between Theon and Theos. Both words mean God equally. The difference is Theon is in the accusitive case (it is the direct object of the sentence) and theos is in the nominative case (it is the subject of the sentence).

In the English, word order within a sentence informs the reader of which words are the subject and which word is the direct object. This is not true in the Greek. The clues used to figure out the subject and direct objects of a sentence are called "case endings".

The root of God in the Greek is : Theo

The ending sigma (singular) shows that Theos within a sentence is the subject of that sentence. Therefore, the case ending is nominative or a singular masculine.

The ending ἦν (nominative) shows that Theon within a sentence is the direct object. Therefore, the case ending is accusative or singular masculine.

And if both nouns in a sentence both end in a sigma, as in John 1:1, the definite article, ho, is called the "indicating subject", and its function is to point out to the reader that logos, not theos, is the subject of the clause. This is plain Greek 101.

Another form is Theou, which is genitive.

Of all those who have studied Greek on this list will testify that the inflectional differences in Greek nounsmerely indicates the place or function it has within the sentence. An example in English is:

the Lord/the Lord's

The former may be used in the nominative case (and other cases in Eng.), while the inflection of the latter indicates that it is in the genitive case. But there is no qualitative nor quantitative difference that can be made simply by virtue of the inflection.

TR below, which was derived from the Vulgate, written primarily by Jerome, in the 5th century AD.

Ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος καὶ ὁ λόγος ἦν πρὸς τὸν θεόν καὶ θεὸς ἦν ὁ λόγος οὗτος ἦν ἐν ἀρχῇ πρὸς τὸν θεόν πάντα δι᾽ αὐτοῦ ἐγένετο καὶ χωρὶς αὐτοῦ ἐγένετο οὐδὲ ἕν ὃ γέγονεν...14 Καὶ ὁ λόγος σὰρξ ἐγένετο καὶ ἐσκήνωσεν ἐν ἡμῖν καὶ ἐθεασάμεθα τὴν δόξαν αὐτοῦ δόξαν ὡς μονογενοῦς παρὰ πατρός πλήρης χάριτος καὶ ἀληθείας...18 θεὸν οὐδεὶς ἑώρακεν πώποτε ὁ μονογενὴς υἱός, ὁ ὢν εἰς τὸν κόλπον τοῦ πατρὸς ἐκεῖνος ἐξηγήσατο

Second, let's get down to the schematics and syntax, as well as proper exegesis to the scripture for those that seem a little befuddled by the nature in which John of Zebedee had so meticulously pointed out in his use of grammar.

John's first assertion is that "In the beginning was the Word." Which beginning? Considering the whole context of the prologue and discourse in its entirety, many have identified this beginning as the same beginning mentioned in Genesis 1:1.

But most see that the assertion of the Apostle goes far beyond that.

The key element in understanding this, the first phrase of this verse, is the form of the word "was," which in the Greek language in which John was writing, is the word ἦν (the "e" pronounced as a long "a" as in "I ate the food"). It is a timeless word - that is, it simply points to existence before the present time without reference to a point of origin. One can push back the "beginning" as far as you can imagine, and, according to John, the Word still is. Therefore, the Word is eternal, timeless. The Word is not a creation that came into existence at "the beginning," for He, God, Christ, predates that beginning.

John is very careful in his language at this point. Throughout this section of his prologue and discourse, John carefully contrasts the Word, and all other things. He does so by consistently using ἦν of the Logos, the Word, and by consistently employing a totally different verb in reference to all other things. This other verb is "to become" (γίνομαι). It is used of John the Baptist in verse 6, of the world in verse 10, and the children of God in verse 12. Only when we come to verse 14 does John use "to become" of the Word, and that is when the Word "became flesh."
This refers to a specific point in time, the incarnation, and fully demonstrates John's intentional usage of contrasting verbs.

John is not alone in this. Jesus contrasted Abraham's "becoming" with His own eternal existence in John 8:58 in the same way.
The Psalmist contrasted the creation of the world with the eternity of God in Psalm 90:2 in the LXX, by using the same verbs found in John 1:1 and 14.

Hardly seems coincidental, does it?

We have seen that the Word is eternal.

John filled the Word with personality and identified the Word not as some fuzzy, ethereal essence that was the guiding principle of all things, (as the Greeks thought it did), but as the eternal Son of God, the One, God, Who entered into time, and into man's experience as Jesus of Nazareth at the time of conception in Mary. The "Word" reveals that Jesus is the mind of God, the thought of God, His full and living revelation, and He is God. Jesus did not just come to tell us what God is like - He showed us in person, because He is, I AM. He is the revelation of God in the flesh.

John did not stop here. He did not leave us to simply know the eternity of the Word. The next phrase says, "and the Word was with God." Again we find the verb "was" cropping up, again pointing to the timelessness of the subject at hand. The Word was with God. The preposition John uses here is quite revealing. It is the Greek word pros. It means "to be in company with someone" or to be "face-to-face."

It speaks of communion, interaction, fellowship.

Remember that this is an eternal fellowship, a timeless relationship. Pros with the accusative presents a plane of equality and intimacy, face to face with each other.

This phrase, if taken completely alone, would be very confusing for anyone as we have seen over and over again, since John has already asserted the eternality of the Word. Now he clearly distinguishes between the Word and God. He asserts that they are distinguishable. "God" and "Word" are not interchangeable terms.

Then, is John talking about two "gods?"
Can more than one being be fully eternal?

John was a monotheistic Jew. He could never believe in more than one Being Who can rightly be called "God."

How then is this to be understood?

This phrase must be taken with the one that follows. We read, "and the Word was God." Again, the eternal ἦν.

John avoids confusion by telling us that the Word was with God, and the Word was God. Jesus, as we know Him as the Word, does not constitute everything that is included in the Godhead.

In other words, John is not teaching the ancient heresy known as Sabellianism, which taught that Jesus and the Father and the Spirit are simply three different aspects of one person, i.e., Jesus is the Father, the Father is the Spirit, and so on.

Instead, John here asserts the full Deity of Christ, while informing us that He is not the Father, but that they ("God" and the "Word") have eternally co-existed together since the beginning of time.

This last phrase has come under heavy fire throughout this thread and many others. This passage teaches that the Word, as to His essential nature, is God. He did not use the adjective, theios, which would describe a divine nature, or a god-like one.

Instead, he used theos, the very word John will use consistently for the Father, the "only true God" John 17:3. He uses the term three times of Jesus in the Gospel, here, in 1:18, and in John 20:28.

It can not be doubted that John would never call a creature theos.

His upbringing and Jewish heritage forbad that. John would have us realize that what the Word was in eternity was not merely God's coeternal fellow, but the eternal God's self. John of Zebedee walks a tight line here. By the simple ommission of the article ("the", or in Greek, ho) before the word for God in the last phrase, John avoids teaching Sabellianism, while by placing the word where it is in the clause, he defeats another heresy, Arianism, which denies the true Deity of the Lord Jesus. A person who accepts the inspiration of the Scriptures can not help but be thrilled at this passage. John goes on in verse 2 to reiterate the eternal fellowship of the Father and Son, making sure that all understand that "this one," the Word, was (there it is again) in the beginning pros ton theon, with God.
Their fellowship and relationship precedes all else, and it is timeless.

As icing on the cake, for many of you that adhere to this heresy of Christ not being God, John then precludes anyone from misunderstanding his claim that Jesus is eternally God by writing verse 3.

"All things came into being by Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being."

"πάντα δι᾽ αὐτοῦ ἐγένετο καὶ χωρὶς αὐτοῦ ἐγένετο οὐδὲ ἕν ὃ γέγονεν"

One can hardly be more inclusive than that. There is simply nothing that is existent anywhere that was not created by the Word. He created everything, as Hebrews 1 points out directly to you all.

Obviously, therefore, if one can be described as creating everything, one must be the Creator, and certainly not a creation. The Word is the Creator. All people reading John's words would understand that the Creator is God, not some lower being created by God to do the work for Him. By not qualifying his statement, John assured that we could correctly understand his intention and his teaching concerning Christ, the Word. He is eternally God, the Creator.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:43 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,563,768 times
(Philipians 2:5-8)

He existed in the form of God

Paul affirms that Jesus eternally has been God. The usual Greek word for "existed" or "being" is not used here. Instead, Paul chose another term that stresses the essence of a person's nature-his continuous state or condition. Paul also could have chosen one of two Greek words for "form", but he chose the one that specifically denotes the essential, unchanging character of something-what it is in and of itself. The fundamental doctrine of Christ's deity has always encompassed these crucial characteristics.

(John 1:1)
Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

(John 1:3)
3All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.

(John 1:14)
14And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.

(John 8:58)
58Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am."

(Colossians 1:15-17)
15He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.
16For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things have been created through Him and for Him.
17He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.

Equality with God

The Greek word for "equality" defines things that are exactly the same in size, quanitity, quality, character, and number. In every sense, Jesus is equal to God and constantly claimed to be so during His earthly ministry

(John 5:18)
18For this reason therefore the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God.

(John 10:33)
33The Jews answered Him, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God."

(John 10:38)
38but if I do them, though you do not believe Me, believe the works, so that you may know and understand that the Father is in Me, and I in the Father."

(John 14:9)
9Jesus said to him, "Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how can you say, 'Show us the Father'?

(John 20:28)
28Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"

(Hebrews 1:1-3)
1God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways,

2in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the world.

3And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,

Old 01-08-2010, 03:46 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
Im not in this debate, but I do not care¨¨ Jesus said in Matthew 28:18¨¨ All power is given unto me in Heaven and the earth¨¨.......His word are honor and must be believed....... Delete this moderator if you think

Old 01-08-2010, 03:46 PM

again i repeat - if you are not sciotamicks or katonjj do not post in this thread

Old 01-08-2010, 04:03 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
To All Members:

We are not looking to promote "exclusivity" here on the Christianity subforum, or for that matter, anywhere else on city-data. This is an OPEN FORUM. Provided one is a member here with posting privileges, and is complying with the Terms of Service, ANYONE is free to post.

This post is for clarification purposes, and intended for everyone.

-June

THREAD CLOSED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity