U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2010, 04:35 PM

58,497 posts, read 31,895,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Finn....if you are a branch who is in the vine and you are cut off and thrown away outside to be burned....does that suggest that one is still saved? Of course not....and that was Jesus point. We have to keep following the commandments to keep abiding in him. Jesus is crystal clear about this....he told his apostles....if they didn't abide they would be lost.
The branch and the salt stories surely do seem to indicate that salvation can be lost. The more I read, the more convinced I become about that. I will talk to my pastor about it on Sunday.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:41 PM

4,883 posts, read 5,119,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The branch and the salt stories surely do seem to indicate that salvation can be lost. The more I read, the more convinced I become about that. I will talk to my pastor about it on Sunday.
Finn....if you want to know the truth I have provided a wonderful website. He has two full books that you can read each chapter online and decide for yourself what Jesus really said....I've found that asking someone only gives me their opinion. It is better to let God lead you into the truth. Look under the book section. Start with Jesus Words on Salvation.

Jesuswordsonly.com

Old 01-15-2010, 04:53 PM

20,299 posts, read 15,654,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
It doesn't matter how many times they hear you say it for some reason the post always goes beyond the point of Salvation or the result of it. I just don't understand why this is so hard for them to understand.

Don't worry Mike I get what you are saying and we are on the same page.
Thanks Raelyn. Many people just prefer their own opinion over the word of God. It's arrogance. Many people hate the truth and are offended by it. They will never accept the truth.

Since God's policy is grace, Satan attacks with religion, cults and legalism. And many people buy into these things. It's all part of the angelic conflict. The spiritual warfare that is going on in the world.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:54 PM

1,837 posts, read 3,579,820 times
Quote:
Finn....if you want to know the truth I have provided a wonderful website. He has two full books that you can read each chapter online and decide for yourself what Jesus really said....I've found that asking someone only gives me their opinion. It is better to let God lead you into the truth. Look under the book section. Start with Jesus Words on Salvation.

Jesuswordsonly.com
If Salvation is a gift and Gods gifts are "irrevocable" cannot be lost, how can someone lose "True salvation" God gives True believers the seal or (stamp) of the Holy Spirit as a promise and that word seal is the same meaning as the stamp on the decree of a Kings scroll.. it cannot be removed. I did a thorough study of this subject when I first came to Christ. And I mean thorough.

You guys are taking scripture out of context. What fear you must live in, geez if you make one false move, sin one too many times you are not saved anymore? Come on...what kind of a loving Father would do that sort of thing.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:55 PM

1,837 posts, read 3,579,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Thanks Raelyn. Many people just prefer their own opinion over the word of God. It's arrogance. Many people hate the truth and are offended by it. They will never accept the truth.

Since God's policy is grace, Satan attacks with religion, cults and legalism. And many people buy into these things. It's all part of the angelic conflict. The spiritual warfare that is going on in the world.
And the battle is fierce...

Old 01-15-2010, 05:40 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,954,055 times
Quote:
If Salvation is a gift and Gods gifts are "irrevocable" cannot be lost, how can someone lose "True salvation" God gives True believers the seal or (stamp) of the Holy Spirit as a promise and that word seal is the same meaning as the stamp on the decree of a Kings scroll.. it cannot be removed. I did a thorough study of this subject when I first came to Christ. And I mean thorough.

You guys are taking scripture out of context. What fear you must live in, geez if you make one false move, sin one too many times you are not saved anymore? Come on...what kind of a loving Father would do that sort of thing.
Sort of like working out one's salvation with fear and trembling perhaps, like Paul says we are expected to do?

"Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling." Philippians 2: 12

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/philip/2/12#12

"Serve the Lord with fear, and rejoice with trembling." Psalms 2: 11

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/ps/2/11#11

"Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ" Ephesians 6: 5

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/eph/6/5#5

Old 01-15-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Finn....if you want to know the truth I have provided a wonderful website. He has two full books that you can read each chapter online and decide for yourself what Jesus really said....I've found that asking someone only gives me their opinion.
I'll take a look, but no matter how you research it, or who you ask, there will always be opinons going both ways.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
And the battle is fierce...
Shucks, t'ain't nuthin. A lil fear an tremblin does a body good...

Old 01-15-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:

What does the story about the branch and the salt mean then? What does it mean to be cut off and be thrown into fire or salt being tossed away on the street?

No, no one said that one slip would take anything away. However I believe if you turn your back to God permanently and quit producing fruit, then you will get cut off the vine.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I'll take a look, but no matter how you research it, or who you ask, there will always be opinons going both ways.
So true! That's why in my opinion it's wise not to just blindly accept what scholars and their devotees say and take things to the Lord for oneself when it comes to matters perceived as pertaining to one's salvation.

Wouldn't hurt either to have the greater context of more scripture than just the few books from among hundreds available that scholars chose to put in to the bible. Or to have living prophets and apostles as it was anciently...

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." James 1: 5

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/james/1/5#5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or