Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 09:50 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,941,290 times

Advertisements

Are we obedient in accepting God's miracles for today as when Jesus walked the earth? Christians talk about the great miracles that Jesus and the apostles did in their day; they talk about history. Are today's doubters converted over what Jesus used to do? Why did Jesus manifest His signs, wonders and outstanding miracles for those doubters, but not today's doubters? In Acts 2, there were 3000 souls converted by what they witnessed.

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever. - Hebrews 13:8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 09:57 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Kupp View Post
Here is the proof from the apostle Paul that you are mistaken:

"For if you live according to the flesh YOU WILL DIE,

BUT

**IF** by the Spirit ***YOU***

put to death the deeds of the body YOU WILL LIVE"
Rom 8:13

Donna Kupp
So you do not believe it is God that works in us both to will and to do of His good pleasure .

For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure Phil 2 verse 3.

That He is the Author and Finisher of our faith . Hebrews 12 verse 2.

Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. Phil verse 6

These verses may sound passive , but in reality He causes the increase.

Slowly it's beginning to dawn on me that we are to have no confidence in the flesh , and because of this my faith is being strengthened inspite of how awful my flesh appears to be , unwavering confidence that He who began a good work in me will complete it until that day is being established in me through the light of this reality . Just like Abraham we should not look at our flesh which is as good as dead , but be unwavering in our trust He will bring forth the life of Son of God in reality in our lives according to His word.

Thankfully Donna your interpretation of Romans 8 verse 13 is off , because if it's correct we would be prone to trusting and boasting in ourselves.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:59 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Yes Raelyn...you are correct in pointing out that THIS "subject matter," as you call it is exhausted for you...however this most amazing Truth of God is not and never shall be exhausted...not until Jesus comes for His Bride. You see, there are just too many precious souls who seek the very heart of God, who do not understand this truth, that are far from having arrived in a state of exhaustion in their learning of Scripture.

Rest Raelyn...your exhaustion in trying to explain away faith without works will only increase...and it is going to take way longer than several days for you to learn and receive this truth.

In His Love...
Verna.
When James said Faith without works is dead faith he was not saying that in order to be saved one must have works along with faith (Because that was one thing that Paul argued against the Judaisers for, they were preaching Faith AND works for Salvation. Paul says if it is Salvation is through works then it is no longer Grace but works of the Law and by the Law no flesh shall be saved), but, he was proving that good works are a result of true faith, if you have true faith then, as Paul said there will always be a struggle in you, if you do not have true faith there will not be the struggle Paul speaks about...But, i belive as one grows in knowledge and faith that struggle becomes less and less and when Christ returns it will totally disappear...Thank God...So, i think that what James was doing was giving a measuring stick to believers as how to recognize one another, however there are those that put on a good show, but as scripture says The true light will expose them...amen

Old 01-10-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Hi Verna, it is true that our self will die when we are converted. However, to be converted is not a mission of the self. The self will not decide or attempt to destroy itself. The "self" HATES God. You say "WE" have a responsiblity to crucify and put to death our selfish desires. "We" are UNABLE to do that. The only one that can put down our sins is Christ. When you use words like "We" and "surrender" then your talking about a message that is not in the scriptures. While it is true the SELF will die - it is God that is destroying it - not us.
I have to agree with you there...

Old 01-10-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Hi Verna, it is true that our self will die when we are converted. However, to be converted is not a mission of the self. The self will not decide or attempt to destroy itself. The "self" HATES God. You say "WE" have a responsiblity to crucify and put to death our selfish desires. "We" are UNABLE to do that. The only one that can put down our sins is Christ. When you use words like "We" and "surrender" then your talking about a message that is not in the scriptures. While it is true the SELF will die - it is God that is destroying it - not us.
"We" must yield, so that Jesus can transform us through the faith in His blood.

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. - Romans 12:1

Old 01-10-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Kupp View Post
Here is the proof from the apostle Paul that you are mistaken:

"For if you live according to the flesh YOU WILL DIE,

BUT

**IF** by the Spirit ***YOU***

put to death the deeds of the body YOU WILL LIVE"
Rom 8:13

Donna Kupp
He is talking about the Physical death that we are all condemned to because how can he state this and then make the statements in Romans that he made:
Rom 7:14 for we have known that the law is spiritual, and I am fleshly, sold by the sin;
Rom 7:15 for that which I work, I do not acknowledge; for not what I will, this I practise, but what I hate, this I do.
Rom 7:16 And if what I do not will, this I do, I consent to the law that it is good,
Rom 7:17 and now it is no longer I that work it, but the sin dwelling in me,
Rom 7:18 for I have known that there doth not dwell in me, that is, in my flesh, good: for to will is present with me, and to work that which is right I do not find,
Rom 7:19 for the good that I will, I do not; but the evil that I do not will, this I practise.
Rom 7:20 And if what I do not will, this I do, it is no longer I that work it, but the sin that is dwelling in me.
Rom 7:21 I find, then, the law, that when I desire to do what is right, with me the evil is present,
Rom 7:22 for I delight in the law of God according to the inward man,
Rom 7:23 and I behold another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of the sin that is in my members.
Rom 7:24 A wretched man I am ! who shall deliver me out of the body of this death?
Rom 7:25 I thank God--through Jesus Christ our Lord; so then, I myself indeed with the mind do serve the law of God, and with the flesh, the law of sin.

Unless he was speaking of the physical death not spiritual. If he was speaking on both accounts of the spiritual death then these two contradict each other...Look at what happened to Ananias and Saphira...they lost there physical life by sinning in lieing to the Holy Spirit and that was an caution to the rest of the believers not to test the Lord...because it did not say they were condemned just that they were struck down for sinning...it did not say that they lost their salvation...

Old 01-10-2010, 10:38 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,027,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
"We" must yield, so that Jesus can transform us through the faith in His blood.

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. - Romans 12:1
But it isn't our Will scgraham. We don't yield. We are being destroyed which is a force that is causing us to be transformed. When you use world like "yield" that is like saying you caused youself to humbling submit to God when the reality is that God does the HUMBLING part.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:41 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
But it isn't our Will scgraham. We don't yield. We are being destroyed which is a force that is causing us to be transformed. When you use world like "yield" that is like saying you caused youself to humbling submit to God when the reality is that God does the HUMBLING part.
Amen

Old 01-10-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Isaiah 1
18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
19 If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land:
20 But if ye refuse and rebel, ye shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.

We very much play a part through obedience. We must yield to the Lord so He can perform His perfect work; only yielded vessels will be transformed.

James 4
7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:09 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,027,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Isaiah 1
18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
19 If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land:
20 But if ye refuse and rebel, ye shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.

We very much play a part through obedience. We must yield to the Lord so He can perform His perfect work; only yielded vessels will be transformed.

James 4
7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
Again, your just quoting verses that show if we be willing. The point you missing is that the will is not OURS. Let me put it like this. ALL good works are copyright owned by Jesus Christ. Now I might be able to do a GOOD Work but it isn't me that gets the credit. If someone else wrote the story and I give the lecture then the applause is not mine - the credit goes to the author. I would just be relaying the information. It is God's Will that is being worked by us but it isn't our will. So at no part can you claim it is. So your just quoting verses that are showing that we are to do something but negating the fact that the will that is what we are to do is His will.

Again, it is God doing the humbling. You are confused by the verses your quoting is if you have some part in your salvation. Co-savior theology is a falsehood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity