Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 09:03 PM

27 posts, read 45,989 times

Advertisements

Do you think there is a difference between "praise" and "worship?" What's your thought? I'd like to know before I post the next series of threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 06:18 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,012,450 times
From the way I understand it, praise is of the mind and worship is of the soul. True worship needs no words only the workings of the soul. Praise and prayer come from the mind. Worship is for the Father and prayer can be directed to anyone.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:43 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,674,188 times
Praise is part of our worship of our God. When we worship it involves more than praise.
In our worship of God, we show our love through obeying His commandments, living the way of life He has revealed to us through His written word, the Bible.
Then through His Spirit whom helps us in communicating with Him in prayer and fellowshipping with other believers, and in offering praises to Him....

Praises are the evidence of our worshiping Him !!

Blessings

Old 01-14-2010, 07:37 AM

77,013 posts, read 47,474,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
Praise is part of our worship of our God. When we worship it involves more than praise.
In our worship of God, we show our love through obeying His commandments, living the way of life He has revealed to us through His written word, the Bible.
Then through His Spirit whom helps us in communicating with Him in prayer and fellowshipping with other believers, and in offering praises to Him....

Praises are the evidence of our worshiping Him !!

Blessings
Our pastor went on and on about us having to worship the Lord by crying, shouting and singing, and he said that on Sunday worship some of us look like we are having our teeth pulled. It is too bad he feels that way, because I am one of those who is not inspired by the music in our church at all. They play 'modern' music and the band is not very gifted, so to me it is noise, and I can't wait for it to stop. I am not going to fake excitement either. If someone is inspired by the holy spirit to go crazy in church no matter how bad the music is, then that is great, but I don't think a pastor should push people to sing and shout.

It made me uncomfortable to a point that I stopped going to Sunday worship and now I attend bible study instead.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:09 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,674,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Our pastor went on and on about us having to worship the Lord by crying, shouting and singing, and he said that on Sunday worship some of us look like we are having our teeth pulled. It is too bad he feels that way, because I am one of those who is not inspired by the music in our church at all. They play 'modern' music and the band is not very gifted, so to me it is noise, and I can't wait for it to stop. I am not going to fake excitement either. If someone is inspired by the holy spirit to go crazy in church no matter how bad the music is, then that is great, but I don't think a pastor should push people to sing and shout.

It made me uncomfortable to a point that I stopped going to Sunday worship and now I attend bible study instead.
.....I am really sorry for your experience !
I too have a difficult time with some of the praising through music.
I am one who would rather sit and listen to it speaking to my heart than standing, waving my hands, etc., like some that so enjoy doing.

I have never experience a Pastor pushing this upon the congregation or myself....!! Not saying it doesn't happen. Yet, apparently it does from your post.
I do hope you can find a place to go and not have that overwhelming feeling of having to praise the Lord through music the way some do!!

That is great that you continue with Bible study....that is really important and very much a part of our worshiping our Lord, in growing in Him and understanding that which He wants and desires for our lives.

Blessings....

Old 01-14-2010, 08:09 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,140,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

Wow!! Perhaps he needs a music director or someone to help? He is probably speaking about it to the church because he feels bad for those who are playing. Perhaps you could share with him what you are feeling about it a loving way with some helpful suggestions?

I have been to churches as well (usually the smaller ones) where the music ministry isn't very developed, talented or even gifted. I believe when the Psalms says to "play the stringed instruments skillfully" that is what it means. All too often churches allow people to play that aren't ready to do so. Instead of grooming the musicians perhaps in a smaller group study or in the youth group until they inquire the skill they just throw them in front of the congregation. I believe this is where a truly gifted music Pastor or a director comes in to play (no pun intended).

I remember several years ago while living in SoCal my husband and I (while looking for a church home) would visit smaller churches where the worship team was small and struggling or there was one person on the guitar out of tune, etc. It is frustrating to go to a church and worship when the music is not very good. And I have also known some pastors that truly believe in their heart that making a joyful noise unto the Lord is all you need.

Though their intentions are good I tend to disagree. The praise and worship should be just as important as the message and it sets the stage for the message. In the old testament the musicians were very important and music is a gift...

You know you could find a different church or wear you earplugs next time? Or make some suggestions and find someone in your community that could help get the worship team up to par...

Old 01-14-2010, 10:00 AM

77,013 posts, read 47,474,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Wow!! Perhaps he needs a music director or someone to help? He is probably speaking about it to the church because he feels bad for those who are playing. Perhaps you could share with him what you are feeling about it a loving way with some helpful suggestions?

I have been to churches as well (usually the smaller ones) where the music ministry isn't very developed, talented or even gifted. I believe when the Psalms says to "play the stringed instruments skillfully" that is what it means. All too often churches allow people to play that aren't ready to do so. Instead of grooming the musicians perhaps in a smaller group study or in the youth group until they inquire the skill they just throw them in front of the congregation. I believe this is where a truly gifted music Pastor or a director comes in to play (no pun intended).

I remember several years ago while living in SoCal my husband and I (while looking for a church home) would visit smaller churches where the worship team was small and struggling or there was one person on the guitar out of tune, etc. It is frustrating to go to a church and worship when the music is not very good. And I have also known some pastors that truly believe in their heart that making a joyful noise unto the Lord is all you need.

Though their intentions are good I tend to disagree. The praise and worship should be just as important as the message and it sets the stage for the message. In the old testament the musicians were very important and music is a gift...

You know you could find a different church or wear you earplugs next time? Or make some suggestions and find someone in your community that could help get the worship team up to par...
No, I don't want to find a new church. This pastor I am talking about is fantastic when he does his bible study and sermon. I go to his study on Wednesdays and to another study on Sundays, and I simply skip the worship and the modern music. No big deal. He (the pastor) is very passionate and I think that he just wanted to see more passion in the congregation too. He just needs to realize that not everyone shares his bubbly personality and taste for modern music. He is doing his best, bless his heart, and he is very good at preaching, so I'll definetly stick around. The other pastor, (the one on Sundays) is more calm and research oriented, and likes to dig into the details. We've been talking about Revelation for seven weeks and we are not even half way through yet. It's all good....except the music...

Old 01-15-2010, 07:33 PM

9,677 posts, read 9,970,238 times
The Lord has many was that he receives worship,,,,,,,,,,,for example the seven vices which reject Worship to the Lord God and seven virtues that Worship the Lord God ,,,,,,,,,Seven vices alternate with seven virtues are; Faith / lust ,,Hope / envy,, Charity / sloth ,, Prudence in Spirit / pride,, Justice / Avarice,, Temparance / gluttony,, Foritude / Anger.........The other ways to Worship are to accept the fruit of the Spirit ........ Praise is to give Glory to the Lord God....... There is a faith in Praise that is called The Praise Cure were people tried everything that they have vision of to get healed from Jesus So they Praised the Lord and continued to Praised until they received from Jesus, were Jesus gave in mercy to the man Praising him

Old 01-08-2015, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 874 times
Worship brings us into the holy of holies, and closer to God. Praise is the most powerful weapon that a Christian has (few no how to use it) Through out the bible praise was used as warfare, It opens the way for worship to usher us into the holy of holies, and the presence of God.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:13 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,088,082 times
God requires neither praise nor worship.

(A little appreciation now and then wouldn't go amiss, though.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity