Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 06:12 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
This isn't what I had in mind but thanks just the same.
Perhaps if that was what you did have in mind you wouldn't have been having such a bad day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 10:09 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,833,229 times
Quote:
Not sure I understand what you mean by your comment? Please explain if you feel led to do so?
Whatever is true
Whatever is honorable
Whatever is right
Whatever is pure
Whatever is lovely
Whatever is of good repute
If there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise
Dwell on these things

These represent the fruit of the spirit and sin taints them.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:17 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,833,229 times
Quote:
I am going to ask you once again;

What is true?
What is lovely?
What is of good repute?
What is pure?

List somethings that come to mind.

For instance Gold is pure, a diamond is pure, God is pure...water can be pure.

What else people?
The answer to all is God and His word. We have the Holy Spirit in our heart, we have the word of God in the Bible, and we have Jesus Christ as our perfect example.

Gold and diamonds are far from pure the only thing perfect is God all else misses the mark.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:13 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,147,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
Perhaps if that was what you did have in mind you wouldn't have been having such a bad day.
I didn't say I had a bad day, just a hard, difficult day. But you are absolutely right, perhaps I wasn't meditating on the things I should have been thinking on. Thanks.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
The answer to all is God and His word. We have the Holy Spirit in our heart, we have the word of God in the Bible, and we have Jesus Christ as our perfect example.

Gold and diamonds are far from pure the only thing perfect is God all else misses the mark.
Revelation 21:21 (New International Version)

21The twelve gates were twelve pearls, each gate made of a single pearl. The great street of the city was of pure gold, like transparent glass.

Just a thought...if gold and diamonds weren't important God wouldn't mention them in the Bible or use them to build His city... Everything belongs to Him and all things are for us to enjoy. It just becomes wrong or idolatry when we put those things above Him... I think precious jewels and many things are beautiful and I awe at the one who made those things... Especially pearls...

Old 01-15-2010, 06:59 PM

This is lovely, this is true:

The Lord is good, the Lord is good,
Blessed is the man who puts his Trust in Him,
The Lord is good, The Lord is good,
Taste and see that the Lord He good
Taste and see that the Lord he is good.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:27 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,867,470 times
Quote:
Hi everyone!! Today was a very difficult day to say the least. I am trying to find scripture to meditate on and I found Philippians 4:8 which says:

Finally brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.

In other words the Bible tells us what to think about. I was wondering what do you think about when you think of this scripture and how do you apply it to your life? Give me some examples of whatever is true for instance. What does that mean to you? You can pick any of the words and give me examples.
Philippians 4: 8Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

True: Jesus is the Truth

John 14:6Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Honest: No lie can be of the Truth so Jesus is honest

1 John 2:21I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.

Just: Jesus is just

Romans 3:26To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

Pure: Jesus is pure

1 John 3: 3And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

Lovely: Jesus is glorified: I'm sure that is lovely.

Psalm 27:8 One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.

Psalm 29:2Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name; worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.

Good report: the faith in Jesus Christ brings good report

Hebrews 11: 1Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 2For by it the elders obtained a good report... 6But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Galatians 3:14That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Virtue: Jesus is the means by which we can add virtue to be fruitful

2 Peter 1:4Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. 5And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; 6And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; 7And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. 8For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

John 15: 1I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. 2Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. 3Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. 4Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. 5I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. 6If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. 7If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. 8Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.

Praise: Yep!!! Jesus is definitely getting of our praises.

Philippians 1: 6Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:...

9And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment; 10That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ. 11Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
Philippians 4: 8Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

True: Jesus is the Truth

John 14:6Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Honest: No lie can be of the Truth so Jesus is honest

1 John 2:21I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.

Just: Jesus is just

Romans 3:26To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

Pure: Jesus is pure

1 John 3: 3And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

Lovely: Jesus is glorified: I'm sure that is lovely.

Psalm 27:8 One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.

Psalm 29:2Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name; worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.

Good report: the faith in Jesus Christ brings good report

Hebrews 11: 1Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 2For by it the elders obtained a good report... 6But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Galatians 3:14That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Virtue: Jesus is the means by which we can add virtue to be fruitful

2 Peter 1:4Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. 5And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; 6And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; 7And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. 8For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

John 15: 1I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. 2Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. 3Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. 4Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. 5I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. 6If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. 7If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. 8Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.

Praise: Yep!!! Jesus is definitely getting of our praises.

Philippians 1: 6Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:...

9And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment; 10That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ. 11Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.
Enow, thanks for this but this scripture does say think on THESE things. I started this thread because I wanted some practical things to think on not just a mental image of Jesus although He is the BEST mental image one could have.... you know what I mean??? I often meditate on this scripture at bedtime and look for these things in my mind.. So I was trying to get some ideas from some of you...

Thanks..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity