Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 06:10 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,867,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arodrigues88 View Post
That is some really good insight. I appreciate it. When I was younger, my best friend and I went to Christian camps for the summer and had an awesome time. I just remember the differences between Christian and Catholic church - if that makes sense.
Feel free to share what those differences are.

Quote:
I would honestly love to have our wedding and marriage in front of God in a Catholic church but I'm not sure if there is one around where I live. We are new to this area and want to be married before the baby comes as well. Yes, I have personally thought about marriage prep but again I'm stuck because I'm not sure where to go around here. I'll do some research and see if I can find anything.

Thank you and God bless!
Well, you did ask how to become a christian from a catholic and so that is how I had responded.

I heard that a ship's captain can marry two people. Elope. Elope.

Okay. No pressure.

Take it to Jesus in prayer. Trust Him to be Your Good Shepherd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 06:13 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Sounds more like you are looking for a certain lifestyle, with benefits, rather than religion. I'm only pointing that out because if that's the case you are bound to be dissapointed and could even begin to resent christianity for not giving you what you think it will or living up to your expectations.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:49 PM

45,573 posts, read 27,172,269 times
ARodriques88 - Take your time with the marriage. How does your fiance' react to your turn towards spiritual things?

Being a Christian is about your relationship w/ Christ - your sin, His death in your place, His resurrection to new life, and your life w/ Him in heaven. The rest is making your life on earth resemble Jesus Christ.

Catholicism doesn't matter - it's the relationship w/ Christ.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:28 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,883,941 times
A point to remember:
Being a "member" of a church (Catholic or otherwise), isn't what makes you a Christian. A church can't save you. Only Jesus, through receiving Him as your personal Savior, is able to give eternal life to anyone.
When I was a little boy, I went to the local Methodist church for years and years. I was officially a "member". Was I therefore a Christian? Nope! I had not received Jesus as my Savior. Why not? Because.....NOBODY had told me of that need! Nobody told me that I was a sinner that needed redemption through Christ Jesus. Even our Sunday school teacher had never told us! You can be a member of a church until you are 100 years old, and still not be a Christian!

The question to ask is not whether "Catholics are Christian or not", (that has already been addressed in other threads...please don't argue that here) but the question to ask is whether you are a Christian. Have you talked this over with God, and received His only begotten Son, as your Savior? It is critically important!.

Receiving Christ as Lord is the single most important decision anyone can ever make.

Please people, don't cloud the issue by "plugging" for you own particular favorite "brand" of church on the thread...tempting as it may be. Please be in prayer for what is of primary importance: that those who are seeking the Lord may receive Jesus as Lord and Savior...church choice and attendance is of secondary importance. Just IMO...

Bud

Old 01-18-2010, 09:58 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,148,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
A point to remember:
Being a "member" of a church (Catholic or otherwise), isn't what makes you a Christian. A church can't save you. Only Jesus, through receiving Him as your personal Savior, is able to give eternal life to anyone.
When I was a little boy, I went to the local Methodist church for years and years. I was officially a "member". Was I therefore a Christian? Nope! I had not received Jesus as my Savior. Why not? Because.....NOBODY had told me of that need! Nobody told me that I was a sinner that needed redemption through Christ Jesus. Even our Sunday school teacher had never told us! You can be a member of a church until you are 100 years old, and still not be a Christian!

The question to ask is not whether "Catholics are Christian or not", (that has already been addressed in other threads...please don't argue that here) but the question to ask is whether you are a Christian. Have you talked this over with God, and received His only begotten Son, as your Savior? It is critically important!.

Receiving Christ as Lord is the single most important decision anyone can ever make.

Please people, don't cloud the issue by "plugging" for you own particular favorite "brand" of church on the thread...tempting as it may be. Please be in prayer for what is of primary importance: that those who are seeking the Lord may receive Jesus as Lord and Savior...church choice and attendance is of secondary importance. Just IMO...

Bud
I agree with Bud, I was raised a Lutheran. Actually my parents dropped us kids off then went home. I was forced into confirmation as a teen-ager but knew nothing about a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. In fact it wasn't until I was 22 that I was truly saved accepting Jesus as my Lord and Savior.

I am not saying that people are not believers or saved if they are Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, etc. but being in a denomination does not guarantee salvation and neither does going to church. You can sit in a church Sunday after Sunday for decades and never really KNOW Christ.

That is why to this day I attend non-denominational churches. I believe in Jesus and His Word (the bible). The rest of the stuff is a waste of time.. Who needs a confessional when Jesus is our High Priest and the one who forgives sin.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:40 PM

136 posts, read 203,603 times
Quote:
Hello. Maybe I'm not understanding what you're asking me...

I believe in God, Christ, and Jesus...

My question was, since I have only known about Catholic preaches is there anything different that I need to do in order to become Christian?

Thank you.
My thoughts is, trust God he will lead you and teach you truths.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:49 PM

702 posts, read 961,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Sounds more like you are looking for a certain lifestyle, with benefits, rather than religion. I'm only pointing that out because if that's the case you are bound to be dissapointed and could even begin to resent christianity for not giving you what you think it will or living up to your expectations.
Very, very wise observation. What her actual motives are, of course, is between her and God, but it was vital to point this out.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:32 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,376,742 times
Quote:
My question was, since I have only known about Catholic preaches is there anything different that I need to do in order to become Christian?
Catholics are Christians. Jesus personally started the Catholic Church. If you follow Jesus, as all Catholics are required to do, then you are a Christian. When people started breaking away from the Catholic Church they added their own practices and started their own churches and now we have 30,000 - 40,000 Protestant churches to choose from. All of these, the Catholic and the Protestant, are Christian.

I would encourage you to look for an engagement encounter (google it). It might be very helpful to you in preparing for marriage. They are low cost anyway, but fees are generally waived for those who can't afford it, if that is an issue.

Last edited by Sandhillian; 01-20-2010 at 05:46 AM..

Old 01-20-2010, 08:39 PM

98 posts, read 147,378 times
Just because you changed your mind now your fiance has to also? Why do you have the right to believe in what you want but he doesn't have the right to his own beliefs? You can't force someone to believe in something they don't. I wouldn't go into this marriage thinking I could change him if I were you. Rather I would think long and hard about how I will feel if he never becomes a believer.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:22 PM

133 posts, read 290,334 times
^That +1111111. How about trying to learn his ways? What makes yours hold more merit than his. What if HE doesn't want the baby to experience the same things as you desire? I don't know why you wouldn't have discussed such things before getting so serious and getting pregnant. IMO unless you are both open to each others ways this will never work out in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity