Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 08:41 AM

8,172 posts, read 6,924,107 times

Advertisements

Loving Your Enemies, a speech by Martin Luther King, Jr.

Loving Your Enemies.

Quote:
So this morning, as I look into your eyes, and into the eyes of all of my brothers in Alabama and all over America and over the world, I say to you, "I love you. I would rather die than hate you." And I'm foolish enough to believe that through the power of this love somewhere, men of the most recalcitrant bent will be transformed. And then we will be in God's kingdom. We will be able to matriculate into the university of eternal life because we had the power to love our enemies, to bless those persons that cursed us, to even decide to be good to those persons who hated us, and we even prayed for those persons who despitefully used us.[SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

When you learn to love your enemies... TRULY love them and not just love them in your mind, but love them in your HEART..this is when the Kingdom of God slowly, persistently becomes revealed. What you thought you KNEW about the Kingdom of God will fade and be replaced by the true picture as the glorious light of His magnificent love will absolutely STUN you. And you realize how and why every knee will bow.

Peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 09:18 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
You know it's funny when I was a liberal I was more into Malcom "X" philosophy. I considered Martin Luther King to be a sellout and a slave to the mentality of white Christianity but then I became born again and entered the kingdom of God. The kingdom of God is revealed to any born again believer and it most definitely put everything into perspective.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:38 AM

8,172 posts, read 6,924,107 times
Just a quick sidenote, don't want to take this off track: The Kingdom of God CAN be revealed to any believer.... it's not revealed automatically. God conceals and reveals when a human heart is prepared.

Please feel free to add any other sermons or quotes from MLK Jr.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:58 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Just a quick sidenote, don't want to take this off track: The Kingdom of God CAN be revealed to any believer.... it's not revealed automatically. God conceals and reveals when a human heart is prepared.
(John 3:5)
5 Jesus answered, “I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.

(Romans 8:16)
16 The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.

I applaud you for pointing out other speeches other than the "I have a dream" speech

Old 01-18-2010, 10:05 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.
I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood.
This is our hope. This is the faith that I go back to the South with. With this faith we shall be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, and stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.
Now is the time to lift our nation from the quicksand of radical injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood. Now is the time to make justice a reality for all of God's children.
Let freedom ring. And when this happens, and when we allow freedom ring-when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children-black men and white men, Jew and Gentile's, Protestants and Catholics-will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual: Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This was delivered by Martin Luther King Jr. on August 28, 1963 on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, DC.
I was present among the 250,000 people when that speech was delivered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity