U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 01:40 PM

6,221 posts, read 6,624,473 times

Advertisements

We humans often have a twisted sense of good news.

"Good news, half the company is laid off, but you get to keep your job!"... well I guess its somewhat good news for me (even though I'll have to work twice as hard now, and my job security is hardly guaranteed), but its not so good news for those who lost their job and now might lose their home or worse.

"A 50 passenger plane crashed, but good news, 20 passengers survived!"... well I guess its somewhat good news for the 20 who survived (even though they may have life changing injuries), but what about the rest who died?

And of course the church tells us: "Good news, you can be saved from eternal torments in hell, (but unfortunately your unrepentant great grandparents are burning there right now)".

Do these examples really do justice to something worthy of being called good news? What would be the absolute best example of good news that you could imagine? Let me tell you what I think it is. Its something that every parent tells their 5-year old when they've just scraped their knee from falling off their bike and are bleeding, crying, in pain. They run to Mommy's arms, and Mom says:

"Everything is going to be all right."

That my friends is real good news, in its simplest form. And for that 5-year old, it makes all the difference. Sure their knee is still bleeding, a sharp pain is running up their leg, but now they have hope! Things will get better!

"Everything is going to be all right."

Now Mom is not God, so she can't guarantee that everything really will be all right forever, and its not long before child falls off the bike again, or gets clunked on the head at school, or is heart-broken from a first crush.

Mom has limitations, but she tries her best to comfort. Why do we put such limitations on God's good news? God's good news is as simple as what Mom tells her child, and God has told us He will achieve it for all people:

Luke 2:10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy [good news], which shall be to all people.

Rev 22:3 No longer will there be a curse upon anything.

Isaiah 25:8 he will swallow up death forever.
The Sovereign LORD will wipe away the tears
from all faces
;
he will remove the disgrace of his people
from all the earth.

Titus 2:11 [CEV] God has shown us how kind he is by coming to save all people.

If you can believe these words, that is real good news for all people! God's gospel of good news is the absolute best news you can think of, not some half-hearted attempt at man's twisted version of "good news".

Everything is going to be all right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 01:43 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,726,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
If you can believe these words, that is real good news for all people! God's gospel of good news is the absolute best news you can think of, not some half-hearted attempt at man's twisted version of "good news".

Everything is going to be all right.
Again Legoman what is the bad news? If there is no bad news then shouldn't it just be called "news" since "good news" wouldn't make any sense.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Again Legoman what is the bad news? If there is no bad news then shouldn't it just be called "news" since "good news" wouldn't make any sense.
Look around. This world is full of bad news. Murders. War. Hate. Death. Destruction.

Right now, there's always bad news. Even if everything is apparently going great for you (and that can change in a heartbeat), someone else is suffering. That's bad news.

The good news is that there will be no more bad news one day.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:01 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,726,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Look around. This world is full of bad news. Murders. War. Hate. Death. Destruction.

Right now, there's always bad news. Even if everything is apparently going great for you (and that can change in a heartbeat), someone else is suffering. That's bad news.

The good news is that there will be no more bad news one day.
That's the bad news? Jesus was beaten, mocked, brutalised, tortured, spat on, crucified (THE worst form of execution) so we could have a better life? If someone is really suffering a horrible fate then wouldn't death be welcomed, wouldn't death be the good news

Old 01-18-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
That's the bad news? Jesus was beaten, mocked, brutalised, tortured, spat on, crucified (THE worst form of execution) so we could have a better life?
Your missing the point here Fundy. My OP was not only talking about "good news" as in the biblical meaning, just in general in what the term "good news" actually means. In many cases we call things good news that are not good news at all. Any kind of a message that includes billions burning in agony for eternity, is not good news.

If you want to get specific about what the bible says: YES, Jesus was beaten, mocked, brutalised, tortured, spat on, and crucified so that He could take away the sin of the world. And YES that will give all a better life. It will give the best life possible: a life without sin, and a life that knows God. If you can't see that, I'm sorry. Ask God to show it to you.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:04 PM

5,807 posts, read 4,795,344 times
exactly legoman (re: the good news)

Jesus gave us the two commands for a reason.
When we attempt to follow them with all of our hearts...then His truth is more readily available to see.

His two commands PUSH us to truth.

and all the myths start to crumble into the dust that they truly are.

When a human being can think for himself and push away all of the indoctrination and go to GOD... that is when beautiful truths start to flow into the human heart.

I was just enjoying this reading, and thought I would share it with those who are searching. here ya go:

Universal Salvation: BIBLE PROOFS

peace.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:17 AM

823 posts, read 1,122,755 times
Someone once told me to take the test.....Focus on #1 and #2 for some time....earnestly Love God with all of your heart and soul and mind FIRST and then focus on what you can do to enhance the relationships with your friends, family, neighbours and ones that are not high up on your favourites list.

Test this.

What wrong can you do...after all you are following #1 and #2...

You shall see a difference......down deep within your soul.......just try it....trust me....it is something you will not want to stop.

Bless you. Sisterkat

Old 01-19-2010, 01:19 AM

823 posts, read 1,122,755 times
ohhhh and, you do not need to be a biblical scholar to do so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity