U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 06:23 PM

21 posts, read 21,989 times

Advertisements

Why did you decide on Christianity?

I am not trying to be sacrilegious, and I'm hoping I don't get answers like "he chose me" or things like that.

I think that most people become Christians because of their enviorment and personal experiences. I find that most Christians do not become the way they are through reason, but through feeling and emotion.

Many times, I think that so many people have become Christians because it is the 'eaisest religion'. I'm not saying that's its easy to BE a christian, but I'm saying it's eaiest to SEEM like one and assimilate into the religion.

What I mean by an 'easy religion' is that it is one of the few that don't require rituals. There is the taking of communion, but other than that you can live life as an athiest comming to a sunday event every week and call yourself a Christian. Moreover, most people believe you!

Instead of doing day to day things that show the mercy God shows, they do the exact same thing as an athiest, except for Sundays. In fact, if I were to observe two people for an entire week in their workplace and home life, (except sundays) I would most likely not be able to tell which one is which.

Also, Christianity is the only religion in which a superior God, your creater, sacrificed so much for YOU. It makes people run to it because it shows a God that REALLY loves you. Sometimes, I feel more people just go to the church expecting someting; it has become a business. You go, you take, and you leave. Sometimes it's a spiritual high that lasts for a couple days.

I am young and have a lot more living and experiencing to do, but it seems that all the books I read supporting Christianity, (Most of Lee Strobel and Tim Keller) can always go either way. They can support a view, but I can always say 'yeah but'.

I know it takes faith, and I am constantely striving for it, but it would also be nice to hear a rational view of Christianity as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 06:46 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,537,935 times
I am not sure if this will be seen as a rational view, but God knows all those that seek Him: and He will provide the answers to those that seek Him. If you know that God wants to have a personal reconciled relationship with you through Jesus Christ and that by learning of Jesus, you are learning of God, then any seeker, like yourself, can just knock at the door of Jesus and inquire within. "If" God is there, He will answer. "Lord God. Reveal Your Son to me." And He will.

The only way you are going to get to know Him personally is to seek Him out: Go to Jesus Christ.

I have gotten to know Him and the power of His resurrection in how He has been leading me away from temptations and delivering me from the evil one. I can testify that He is the Good Shepherd as well as My Saviour. But no one else can know that until they come to Jesus and trust Him the same.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:37 PM

26,528 posts, read 14,359,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoo992 View Post

I am not trying to be sacrilegious, and I'm hoping I don't get answers like "he chose me" or things like that.
I won't sugar coat the answer.

Quote:
I think that most people become Christians because of their enviorment and personal experiences. I find that most Christians do not become the way they are through reason, but through feeling and emotion.
It is the realization of the truth that becomes apparent and real. It is not feelings or emotions - even though those are evident once the truth is made aware. It is not personal experiences or environment.

Quote:
Many times, I think that so many people have become Christians because it is the 'eaisest religion'. I'm not saying that's its easy to BE a christian, but I'm saying it's eaiest to SEEM like one and assimilate into the religion.

What I mean by an 'easy religion' is that it is one of the few that don't require rituals. There is the taking of communion, but other than that you can live life as an athiest comming to a sunday event every week and call yourself a Christian. Moreover, most people believe you!
If a person is truly striving to be like Christ, it is not easy. Not only should we be squashing our human sinful urges, but we also face ridicule and desertion by others - again IF we are focused on Christ.

We do not have the authority to call ourselves a Christian - and be a Christian because WE said so.

Quote:
Instead of doing day to day things that show the mercy God shows, they do the exact same thing as an athiest, except for Sundays. In fact, if I were to observe two people for an entire week in their workplace and home life, (except sundays) I would most likely not be able to tell which one is which.
That may or may not be the case. But if you spend enough time with a true Christian, you should notice something a little different than the unbeliever.

Quote:
Also, Christianity is the only religion in which a superior God, your creater, sacrificed so much for YOU. It makes people run to it because it shows a God that REALLY loves you. Sometimes, I feel more people just go to the church expecting someting; it has become a business. You go, you take, and you leave. Sometimes it's a spiritual high that lasts for a couple days.
True.

Quote:
I am young and have a lot more living and experiencing to do, but it seems that all the books I read supporting Christianity, (Most of Lee Strobel and Tim Keller) can always go either way. They can support a view, but I can always say 'yeah but'.

I know it takes faith, and I am constantely striving for it, but it would also be nice to hear a rational view of Christianity as well.
It takes Christ. Christianity is more about a relationship with Jesus Christ than a religion.

Good luck w/ the rational part - because it isn't rational. You have a virgin birth, life after physical death, a Trinity or three beings working in cohesion to bring forth children of God, a man in a whale for three days, a division of a large body of water, and many more irrational occurrences.

We can't believe this on our own, but need outside revelation to the truth - which is part of the reason we say that "He chose us" - because we can not understand these things on our own. But when we are made aware of the truth, the light comes on and we understand the basics of our sin, His death and resurrection, and our life with Him in heaven - and we take it by faith.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:37 AM

1,837 posts, read 3,594,774 times
Here are just a few reasons why I was drawn to Christianity.

At the age of twenty two I noticed or witnessed something different in a Christian that I met. It was in her eyes, her smile, the way she treated me. There was something different about her and I wanted what she had. She accepted me, didn't care about the way I smelled of cigarette smoke, didn't judge my way of dress, she just loved me unconditionally and welcomed me into her home and church. Nancy was her name and I will never forget her. Then I met those at her church.. They were loving, accepting, just so different than anyone I ever met before. I knew that God was inside those people and that He dwelt in their heart.

At a church service I saw those Christian men on their knees crying and it was the most beautiful sight that I ever had seen. It made me cry. Since I grew up around selfish, macho, demanding male figures..this was an amazing thing for me to see. They had to be from another planet I thought.. But no...they were Christian men and I marveled at it...

Then I met a couple at a restaurant where I worked as a waitress and as I saw them sitting at their table I noticed a light around them like the glow around a candle. It drew me to them and then they shared the love of Christ with me. I will never forget that day.. God showed me His Spirit through those people.

Jesus makes sense to me and there is even an instruction manual to go with Him.

The Word says "taste and see that the Lord is good". I tasted, it was very good and now I am addicted. Praise God!! The more I spend time with Him, the more He reveals Himself to me.

True Christianity is Love, patience, kindness, goodness, longsuffering, etc. All those things I crave and desire. All those things I have witnessed in Christians..

Hoping and praying that this helps you and answers your question.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:16 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,794,632 times
Quote:

In reality, most people in this country become christians because that is the most prevalent religion and most people will usually fall in line with the most popular teaching of their culture Now ,most church people will deny this of course and that is expected. But there is a reason that most people of India are Hindu,most arabs are muslims, most chinese are buddhist or taoist,etc. When you grow up in a society or culture where one religion has a stranglehold,then naturally that`s what one will believe. Parents teach their children, your friends and family all believe BASICALLY the same thing,it`s all over the TV and radio,etc. Generally speaking,this is the case. Obviously some family members don`t fall in line and believe other things. Just like not all chinese are buddhist or arabs muslim,etc.
Just like christians in this country will say their God has changed their life etc. People of other cultures say the same thing about their religion.
But of course christians will deny these facts and say they came to God all on their own and it had absolutely nothing to do with where or how they grew up. That helps them explain how others that don`t believe as they do will be tortured forevermore. Because afterall, children in India,China, and the arab nations all had an equal chance to know Jesus just as they did. God put it in their hearts to know Jesus and if they don`t believe then they will get exactly what they deserve,which is to be tormented day and night for all time. Just thank God that you are in a place where you are free to worship as you please and can read different interpretations of the bible without fear of scorn or worse.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:36 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,507,206 times
Quote:
I didn't. God chose me.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:41 AM

19,022 posts, read 24,867,620 times
God chose me, too

I was born Catholic and will go to the grave a Catholic.

And make no mistake, I'm a hardcore academician. Went to the best technical school on earth. Am right in the midst of science and technology in terms of my profession. So the not-so-well educated Christian just doesn't cut it, in my case.

And I've been blessed throughout my life (have not faced any major issue, except the death of my Dad), coz I keep God at the centre of my life. Besides, I come from a civilization that's probably the oldest on earth. And I'm just carrying the heritage of my ancestors. God first, everything else next

Old 01-19-2010, 09:45 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,905,250 times
Quote:
You might try reading "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis

Old 01-19-2010, 12:19 PM

702 posts, read 815,822 times
Well, there are many reasons. First and foremost, God chose me. Secondly, I believed because I was born again by the Spirit of God. I acted because I was acted upon. Thirdly, I believed through the message of the truth. This is an important point: Many out there will tell you that they allegedly came to Christ because they saw some goodness or love in others that made them feel very good and that made them want what the Christians had. I hear this a lot nowadays, and it's a popular--though unbiblical--teaching. I don't doubt that there are Christians out there who can make nonChristians feel good because of their amiability, loving personality, generosity, friendliness, etc., but according to Scripture, that is not the means that God uses to bring people to Christ. This is what scripture says about the means that God uses:

"14How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher? 15How will they preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written, "HOW BEAUTIFUL ARE THE FEET OF THOSE WHO BRING GOOD NEWS OF GOOD THINGS!"
16However, they did not all heed the good news; for Isaiah says, "LORD, WHO HAS BELIEVED OUR REPORT?"
17So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ." (Rom. 10)

"21For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe." (1 Cor. 1:21)

"18In the exercise of His will He brought us forth by the word of truth, so that we would be a kind of first fruits among His creatures." (James 1:18)

It takes much more than mere friendliness and displays of human emotion to overcome our natural predisposition to rebel against God. The mind that is set on the flesh is hostile toward God and is not even able to submit to the law of God (Rom. 8:7). A few positive interactions with Christians could never turn that around.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:26 PM

1,468 posts, read 1,843,132 times

Perhaps this is true for most Christians, but not for me. In fact, I feel the opposite. We experience life through feelings and emotions, but we reflect on what we have experienced using our intellect.

It was the reflection on these experiences that led me to conclude that Christianity was the only religion that provided any rational explanation for how I experienced the world around me.

I am a very emotionally intense individual as regards life, but as regards my religion, I am the most "un-charasmatic" individual you will ever meet.

I don't find Christianity to be an "easy" religion at all. It would be a lot easier for me to be Atheist or Agnostic.

What I mean by an 'easy religion' is that it is one of the few that don't require rituals.

You are right insofar that it is nothing like Orthodox Judaism, but it makes moral demands on me every second of the day.

Another poster mentioned C.S. Lewis. I would like to second that vote, and add G. K. Chesterton to the list. And of course the most "rational" thinker of all on Christianity is St. Thomas Aquinas, one of the greatest thinkers who ever lived.

I will also add, if I was not a Catholic I would be drawn to Orthodox Judaism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or