U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do you believe God will accomplish his desires?
Yes 21 91.30%
No 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-22-2010, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Indianapolis
4,325 posts, read 3,348,999 times
Reputation: 641

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
We put the majority of the responsibility on the weakest - yea, impotent - party, with no regard to the One who says "salvation is of Me"? Do we have an inclination to come, apart from grace exerted by God to restrain or transform man?
Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
In Romans 7:18 Paul says, "I know that no good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh." This is a radical confession of the truth that in our rebellion nothing we think or feel is good. It is all part of our rebellion. The fact that Paul qualifies his depravity with the words, "that is, in my flesh," shows that he is willing to affirm the good of anything that the Spirit of God produces in him (Romans 15:18). "Flesh" refers to man in his natural state apart from the work of God's Spirit. So what Paul is saying in Romans 7:18 is that apart from the work of God's Spirit all we think and feel and do is not good.

God didn't call me, I called God. Only after that was I able to learn what God's plan for me was. Even if we choose to not go to God, He will still wait for us. He does not call us, we call Him. He then meets us halfway.

Did you ever think that what is written in the bible is a story of the writers thoughts and ideas? Do you actually believe that you are a sinful, depraved creature?
We are God's greatest creations. We "sin" because we put the label on it. Your soul is as perfect as the day God created it, it's the dirt that you need to wash off.

I believe everyone of God's children will find their way back home either to the natural love heavens or the Celestial Heavens. I also believe once that happens, there will be no more darkness (hell). That is God's plan and what God wants, God does get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2010, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Little Elm, TX
6,946 posts, read 7,267,429 times
Reputation: 4114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
God didn't call me, I called God.
Not biblical, but I know that doesn't change how you believe.

As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one. (Rom 3:11-13)

Apart from Me, you can do nothing. (John 15:5)

Sounds pretty straightforward to me - salvation is of the Lord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Indianapolis
4,325 posts, read 3,348,999 times
Reputation: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Not biblical, but I know that doesn't change how you believe.

As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one. (Rom 3:11-13)

Apart from Me, you can do nothing. (John 15:5)

Sounds pretty straightforward to me - salvation is of the Lord.
Did you ever think that in Romans, the author was saying that of the people of that time? They didn't seek God because they were too materialistic. They weren't thinking spiritually. Mankind has evolved since then and our thoughts and attitudes are a lot different. We know that God is all that is Truth, Beauty and Goodnes. We know that God doesn't harm any of His creatures yet we still have denominations thinking that God is not all that is Truth, Beauty and Goodness. We are the ones who must make the choice of finding God. God has not lost us, we lost God.

Through Jesus, we find salvation. I do as Jesus instructed me to do. Through Him and His teachings, I am becoming righteous and Divine. It's not something that happens right away but it does happen. I'm not sinful nor am I depraved. False teachers want us to believe that because of their own darkness.

Just because it's written in a book, does not make it true. The bible is full of stories of the writers and their thoughts and feelings and desires for mankind. God's desires for mankind is that we return by our own free will choosing. God didn't choose me, I chose God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Colorado
305 posts, read 203,197 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Not biblical, but I know that doesn't change how you believe.

As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one. (Rom 3:11-13)

Apart from Me, you can do nothing. (John 15:5)

Sounds pretty straightforward to me - salvation is of the Lord.
This is just my opinion, but I if you are using Rom 3:11-13 to make your point, it seems out of context. I myself would at least go back to verse 7 of the chapter.

7For if the truth of God hath more abounded through my lie unto his glory; why yet am I also judged as a sinner?

8And not rather, (as we be slanderously reported, and as some affirm that we say,) Let us do evil, that good may come? whose damnation is just.
9What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin;
10As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
11There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. 12They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

And if you are to include verse 13, why would you not take it all the way to verse 18?


13Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips:
14Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:
15Their feet are swift to shed blood:
16Destruction and misery are in their ways:
17And the way of peace have they not known: 18There is no fear of God before their eyes.

It just seems to me that those verses need to be kept together so as not to confuse the context of their meaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Little Elm, TX
6,946 posts, read 7,267,429 times
Reputation: 4114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Just because it's written in a book, does not make it true. The bible is full of stories of the writers and their thoughts and feelings and desires for mankind. God's desires for mankind is that we return by our own free will choosing. God didn't choose me, I chose God.
Though I understand the customs and age can effect the verbage, I believe the bible - and what I experience my own self of His dealings. God creates, we react. God knocks, we answer.

He is always the instigator. We can take credit for it if we like, but the fact is we won't know all the details until the day He reveals all the mystery. Until then, I will give Him all the credit - He's bigger than I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Indianapolis
4,325 posts, read 3,348,999 times
Reputation: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Though I understand the customs and age can effect the verbage, I believe the bible - and what I experience my own self of His dealings. God creates, we react. God knocks, we answer.

He is always the instigator. We can take credit for it if we like, but the fact is we won't know all the details until the day He reveals all the mystery. Until then, I will give Him all the credit - He's bigger than I am.
I think I know where all this stems from. Those that believe every word of the bible are saved and therfore, God called them. but, if someone doesn't believe all of the bible, then God didn't call them and they are delusional or something.

How did you know God was calling? Did you feel it in your soul? Did someone tell you He called? How do you truely know it was actually God calling you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Little Elm, TX
6,946 posts, read 7,267,429 times
Reputation: 4114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
How did you know God was calling? Did you feel it in your soul? Did someone tell you He called? How do you truely know it was actually God calling you?
Because as a stoned and drunk teenager, I had a Voice that spoke to me about His love while I was in no state to argue.

That Voice never stopped telling me - what's your story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Colorado
305 posts, read 203,197 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Though I understand the customs and age can effect the verbage, I believe the bible - and what I experience my own self of His dealings. God creates, we react. God knocks, we answer.

He is always the instigator. We can take credit for it if we like, but the fact is we won't know all the details until the day He reveals all the mystery. Until then, I will give Him all the credit - He's bigger than I am.
I agree with the thought that He is always trying to reach us - which in essence would be synonymous to 'instigating'. But we still have figuratively reach out and take His hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Little Elm, TX
6,946 posts, read 7,267,429 times
Reputation: 4114
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneSentinel View Post
I agree with the thought that He is always trying to reach us - which in essence would be synonymous to 'instigating'. But we still have figuratively reach out and take His hand.
And I submit to you that I don't totally rule Him out when it comes to our willingness to do so - if God works in us (believers only?) to will and do His pleasure, what stops Him from doing so in all He chooses to have mercy on?

How much credit are we wanting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Colorado
305 posts, read 203,197 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
And I submit to you that I don't totally rule Him out when it comes to our willingness to do so - if God works in us (believers only?) to will and do His pleasure, what stops Him from doing so in all He chooses to have mercy on?

How much credit are we wanting?
*shifts in his chair* Well, I am guessing that is your point? The 'credit' is his. If he had not offered us a way out of our 'debts'...there would be no way. I never meant to indicate we deserve 'credit' for our salvation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top