Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does God want us to sin?
Yes 3 17.65%
No 14 82.35%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 08:50 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,559,897 times

Advertisements

CONTINUED FROM THE POLL THREAD "Do you believe God will accomplish his desires?"

Someone said,
Quote:
It's our view that God uses the actions of man, and turns them to His desired end, right?
Someone also said
Quote:
Absolutely it was God's intention that David commit adultery so the promised seed would come through Solomon:

Mat 1:6 now Jesse begets David the king. Now David begets Solomon of the wife of Uriah;

Rom 9:19 You will be protesting to me, then, "Why, then, is He still blaming? for who has withstood His intention?

No one has withstood His intention. Not even you free-willers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 09:01 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,172,148 times
Warning: this is a human conundrum!

We are forbidden to sin of our own understanding, yet God causes the actions that lead to His desired end!!

Old 01-21-2010, 09:02 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,125,007 times
The question is ambiguous because in the long-term God does not want us to sin. But God did indeed intend for us to sin in this world, thus you can define His intention for this world as His "want". So to answer the poll:

Yes in the short-term (in this world).
No in the long-term (in the next world).

So, a strict answering of the question "Does God want us to sin?" with no qualifiers, I would have to say Yes.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:07 AM

God wants a holy people that shows forth His nature, while at the same time He has the enemy in His toolbox, using evil and everything else in existance for His purposes.

If you deny that, you deny the God of the bible, imo.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:12 AM

Here is the proof that God indeed wants (atleast some) sin to happen.

Did those who crucified Christ commit sin in doing so? Did those who unjustly, cruelly, torture and murder Christ, hanging Him on a cross, commit sin in doing so? The answer here is YES; you will have a hard time convincing me otherwise.

Now, God has declared from before creation that Jesus would be the lamb who would was slain for the sins of the world. God wanted this to happen. Thus God wanted His son to be brutally murdered by hanging Him on a cross. God wanted this sin to occur. God, for His good pleasure, and following His desire, pre-ordainded and predestined the whole thing to happen! Yet it was for a very good reason - so that His son could be savior of the world.

God preordains sin for a good reason.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:17 AM

But really on thinking on this a bit more, the question "Does God want us to sin?" is ambiguous because it assumes no purpose.

Does God want us running around sinning all over the place, murdering and hating each other? No of course not, but He may want sinful actions to occur for a higher purpose. Just because God intends us to sin in this life, does not mean we have free reign to sin while proclaiming "God wants me to do it!".

Old 01-21-2010, 09:21 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,692,543 times
Quote:
Does God want us to sin?
Absolutely not !!
All one has to do is read the book of Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, all through the OT and NT and see what the Lord thinks about sin....

Deut. 24:16
" Fathers shall not be put to death for their sons, nor shall sons be put to death for their fathers; everyone shall be put to death for his own sin.

Ps. 32:1
How blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered!

Ps.32:5
I acknowledged my sin to You, and my iniquity I did not hide; I said, " I will confess my transgressions to the LORD"; And You forgave the guilt of my sin. Selah.

I just gave a couple......
Fundy you have to realize the source of where you got those statements.....Come on, that ought to be a big red flag !! How do you think that source justifies what one believes !!

Old 01-21-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
Absolutely not !!
All one has to do is read the book of Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, all through the OT and NT and see what the Lord thinks about sin....

Deut. 24:16
" Fathers shall not be put to death for their sons, nor shall sons be put to death for their fathers; everyone shall be put to death for his own sin.

Ps. 32:1
How blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered!

Ps.32:5
I acknowledged my sin to You, and my iniquity I did not hide; I said, " I will confess my transgressions to the LORD"; And You forgave the guilt of my sin. Selah.

I just gave a couple......
Fundy you have to realize the source of where you got those statements.....Come on, that ought to be a big red flag !! How do you think that source justifies what one believes !!
Latte'Chic, how do you explain the crucifiction of Jesus? Did God not want that to happen?

Old 01-21-2010, 09:43 AM

I think without a paradigm shift we'll never get it. We have rules and laws, but He can make His own rules as He goes along.

Our society is a perfect example: imposing the law completely would cause suffering and pain, so we exempt some people and some laws; so it is that God can put a heart within us to keep His commands, yet eyes to see Him even in the darkness.

We say that without the fall, we could never have the relationship we have with Him - while that's a simple truth, we must see the depth of what Jesus meant when He said, "The pure in heart will see God". We see that as a promise for the next life, but the truth is that when He has done a deep work in you, you see His hand and lordship over all creation.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:39 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,940,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Latte'Chic, how do you explain the crucifiction of Jesus? Did God not want that to happen?
Jesus was crucified because of sin. Had the first Adam lived free from sin, then the second Adam, Jesus, would not have needed to be crucified. The wages of sin is death. God's standard is holiness; it always has been, and always will be.

Ezekiel 18:20 - The soul that sinneth, it shall die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity