Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2010, 08:19 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,148,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
I am glad that you have come into the knowledge of truth and got out of what is not true.
Amen and amen... I can only imagine how the angels rejoiced on that day...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 08:39 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,279,591 times
Aschultz

What i would like to know is , did whatever form of universalism you was mixed up with when you renounced it and turned to whatever you are now professing ,did it change you as a person or just change your belief system ?.

God is not impressed by what we believe but who we believe in and whatsmore truth is not some set of doctrines we mentally give our assent to, it's the reality of His life evident in ours.

Last edited by pcamps; 01-23-2010 at 09:07 PM..

Old 01-23-2010, 09:18 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,963,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Rev 22:10 And he said to me, "Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this book, for the time is near.
Rev 22:10 And he is saying to me, "You should not be sealing the sayings of the prophecy of this scroll, for the era (kairos) is near."

"Time" is "chronos." "Era" and "time" are not the same. "Era" and "season" use the same Greek word and is "a distince **portion of time** having special characteristics" (Concordant Keyword Concordance) whereas "time" chronos, is just "duration."

Dan 7:27 "And the kingdom and the jurisdiction and the majesty of the kingdom under the entire heavens will be granted to the people of the saints of the supremacies. Their kingdom is an eonian kingdom, and all other authorities shall serve and hearken to them."

Quote:
Eternal kingdom....forever.
Unless you believe it is a age lasting kingdom LOL
The Bible only knows of an "aionios basiliah" which is the kingdom pertaining to the eons.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:26 PM

696 posts, read 915,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Aschultz

What i would like to know is , did whatever form of universalism you was mixed up with when you renounced it and turned to whatever you are now professing ,did it change you as a person or just change your belief system ?.

God is not impressed by what we believe but who we believe in and whatsmore truth is not some set of doctrines we mentally give our assent to, it's the reality of His life evident in ours.
Actually it more convinced me of a need for Jesus. And I would assert God is not a respecter of persons, and all the more reason for needing Jesus. Im unsure why the word doctrine is used as I only subscribe to basic christian doctrine is my core belief. Or are you talking of denomination? There is a difference between those two words.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Yep, there are TONS of backsliders. The good news is all of them will one day "come to themselves" as the prodigal son did and return to Father!
One can not backslide in core christian doctrine, but one can backslide in sin. You either are Christian or you never were.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thy Kingdom Come View Post
Similarities do not make two things the same.
Differences make two things different.

For example

1. You believe Christ is God's Son, died and rose again
2. You believe not all will be saved.

So do Jehovah's Witnesses. See the differences are key.

Yet you referred to that time that as "...my life before Christ...". So now we're down to one core belief in common.

I didn't say you were a Unitarian and now that you have spelled it out, I do not believe that you were. I said your beliefs were more like a Unitarian than like us. Lots of people confuse the two because of the label, so from you OP I thought maybe you were a Unitarian Universalist.
By your assertion then I can logically make a difference between being a Christian and being a Universalist as it has a clear difference of thought. If there is a difference between the two and a similarity which do I go with. Jesus clearly spoke more on hell and eternal seperation, but Universalist disclaim it where Christians accept it. Not to spin the pot a bit, but which do you judge by differences or similarities?

Old 01-23-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Aschultz: I asked the following:

To which you replied:

But then someone pointed out in your OP that you said this:

and then went on to list all the erroneous beliefs you had as a universalist quote "BEFORE CHRIST".

So now we have a major dilemma. How can one be a "repentant, born again, washed in the blood, Spirit filled, baptized into the death of Jesus Christ, raised into newness of life, chosen in Christ before the foundation of the world, holy and without blame before Him in love, overcoming Child of God" "BEFORE CHRIST"???

Please explain this.
Your Universalist view of Christ is not mine. No error there. I thought I was in the correct view. I can see how this would not make sense, but again I do not see your views on Christ the same is mine.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:53 PM

I made a mistake this link is my continued thoughts

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...75440-the.html

Old 01-24-2010, 12:39 AM

1,711 posts, read 1,902,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschultz73 View Post
By your assertion then I can logically make a difference between being a Christian and being a Universalist as it has a clear difference of thought.
Yes, you could if you believe that believing God will save all denies a central tenant of being a Christian. But I think you should ask the person in question if they actually deny that tenant rather than deducing that they must deny that tenant.

For example, many people deduce that a universalist must believe that God will save some people apart from faith in Christ. But the fact is, I believe that nobody was or will ever be saved apart from faith in Christ.

Quote:
Not to spin the pot a bit, but which do you judge by differences or similarities?
Not sure what you mean by judge in the context of what we are discussing.

My concern was with effective communication, not with judging. Readers might well come away from your OP with the idea that "universalism" means all the beliefs you described. They might believe that all us who believe God will save all hold to those same beliefs. So they end up believing something that is not true. That was my concern.

Quote:
If there is a difference between the two and a similarity which do I go with.
Words and labels are not exact, they're fuzzy. We should try to choose the closest word we can find to represent the idea we are trying to convey. "universalist" conveys the idea of a person who believes God will save all people. It is not tied to the belief that the bible is myth, that man is inherantly good, etc. even though some universalists believe that. Most every universalist you will have a discussion with on a Christain forum will likely believe that the scriptures are God-breathed, that "there is none good", etc.

Quote:
Jesus clearly spoke more on hell and eternal seperation, but Universalist disclaim it where Christians accept it.
More on hell than what? Love? It's not a matter of unwillingness to accept it. I actually went and got a count from www.blueletterbible.com and it came out with "love" winning, and it was around 6:1 if I recall. Sure some descriptions of gehenna/hades/sheol/lake of fire will not contain the word "hell" so I missed some. But the sames goves for "love".

Old 01-24-2010, 02:06 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,758,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschultz73 View Post
By your assertion then I can logically make a difference between being a Christian and being a Universalist as it has a clear difference of thought. If there is a difference between the two and a similarity which do I go with. Jesus clearly spoke more on hell and eternal seperation, but Universalist disclaim it where Christians accept it. Not to spin the pot a bit, but which do you judge by differences or similarities?

You said ...

Quote:
Jesus clearly spoke more on hell and eternal separation, but Universalist disclaim it where Christians accept it.
You did not finish the sentence. What did Jesus clearly speak on concerning hell and eternal damnation more than ?

You said Christ clearly spoke of hell and eternal separation more than ... ? What?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity