U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 12:41 PM

13 posts, read 77,191 times

Advertisements

I'm curious if their are any other Christian Universalists who would like to discuss the topic. By Christian Universalist, I mean a person who believes in the deity of Christ but that Christ has or will reconcile all people to Himself. My CU is strongly attached to my beliefs in fulfilled (covenant) eschatology which is a form of preterist theology. Preterist eschatology teaches that all Bible prophecy, such as the second coming of Christ and the entire book of Revelation, finished being or was fulfilled around the time Jerusalem was destroyed in 70AD.

If you are not a Christian Universalist, I would also like to hear from other Christians who don't believe in the eternal or literal fire and brimstone interpretation. What are your thoughts or interpretations of the subject?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 01:00 PM

21,636 posts, read 30,244,343 times
I am a Christian that believes there is hell because Jesus believed it too. If He didn't we would not have paid such a price to save us from it. And I believe Jesus when He said I am the way, the truth and the life and no one come to the Father except through me. And I believe Jesus when he said in Matt 7:13-14 "You can enter God's Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell is broad and its gate is wide for the many who choose the easy way. But the gateway to life is small and the road is narrow and only a few ever find it".
This is proof to me that not everyone is going to Heaven, only those who place their faith and trust in Jesus ans their Savior, and ask Him to forgive them of their sins. It is not difficult to become a Christian but there is only ONE way to eternal life with God,according to the Bible and that is through Jesus.

Old 05-26-2007, 03:45 PM

6,486 posts, read 14,180,919 times
My best friend is a Jehova's Witness. While being far from a Universalist, she doesn't believe in a literal hell, either. Strangely, she does believe in Satan and that he rules this world (Earth), but while most other Christians believe the "lost" go to Hell, she believes they just die here and never wake up.

Hm, I think that's how it goes. Anyway, not nearly as nice as Universalism (spent a little while in the UU church, unfortunately there was not enough Universalism and too much "everything"!), but still not literal hellfire.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:48 PM

11,918 posts, read 14,141,141 times
Ht dtminn28, I am a Christian who believes in Universal Reconciliation and I would be happy to discuss it here. I believe in the power, love, and justice of God and that eventually all will be convinced of their need for Him and will willingly submit to His sovereignty in their lives. I do not believe that the power of sin and darkness to deceive and destroy lives is greater than the power of the Creator to rescue and heal. God bless.

Shana

Old 10-01-2007, 12:10 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,997,059 times
Yo, JEFF! Where are you, dude? Got someone here that wants to talk to you, man!

Old 10-01-2007, 12:44 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,802,922 times
Wars, poverty, slavery, not being able to be yourself, they all look like hell to me. I think that Jesus believed that suffering and having no hope is hell. Why else go to the underbelly of the city to talk to criminals, prostitutes, the diseased, the mentally ill etc.?
He tried to bring hope, to be there for those who have no one and are cast out by the majority of the city.
Hell is not a literal place, it is being cast out by the people.

Since I have been depressed several times in my life I know that a depression is like going through hell and you can only be saved from this hell if you allow yourself to be loved by others so you can in turn learn how to love yourself.
People who do not know love, or do not allow themselves to be touched by love, will eventually give in to their despair.

Only people who are insecure (weak) use fear as a tool to make others listen to them. Like dictators use fear and propaganda to accomplish their goal.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:06 AM

3,684 posts, read 10,998,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Yo, JEFF! Where are you, dude? Got someone here that wants to talk to you, man!
Can you believe Jeff is missing this?!? Jeff you're audience is waiting for you...come out, come out where ever you are!

Old 10-01-2007, 06:43 AM

7,099 posts, read 24,493,926 times
The problem I have with the concept of a literal hell is that I can see no reason for souls to spend eternity in torment. Come to think of it, I can't see the point of souls existing in a place called heaven for eternity either. Why? Is Eternal Life something devised by Mankind because he can't stand the thought of just dying with no afterlife?

Old 10-01-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Can you believe Jeff is missing this?!? Jeff you're audience is waiting for you...come out, come out where ever you are!
Yeah, I know. I thought he would have been jumping on this. Hope things are okay with him. I haven't seen him post in a couple of days now.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
The problem I have with the concept of a literal hell is that I can see no reason for souls to spend eternity in torment. Come to think of it, I can't see the point of souls existing in a place called heaven for eternity either. Why? Is Eternal Life something devised by Mankind because he can't stand the thought of just dying with no afterlife?
I can't grasp the point of why someone would not want to spend eternity in Heaven. Why would anyone want to simply *poof* out of existence? Makes life on earth seem rather pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or