Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 03:56 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Sadly . . .this is accurate. Fundamentalists divide the people and the church of Christ by usurping God's role of determining who is and who is not a "true" follower of Christ. This whole "True Christian" nonsense is an abomination to God, an affront to His judgment, and a source of contention and division among of the people of God. "I would not say such things if I were you!" . . Fundy.
Exactly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 04:00 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,564,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Exactly
You are agreeing with a mystic who doesn't believe in scripture. How does he know what is an abominationation to God if he doesn't believe in scripture.

I stand by what I said

Quote:
No one is saying, you go around to different people to accuse them of not being a follower. It is the job of the shepherd of preaching the word correctly and soundly so that people can be convicted and the Holy Spirit can work in them furthermore if you have goats in the church and they go into the world and do despicable things, it reflects and hurts the gospel not to mention the church that person attends(When the world screams HYPOCRITES!!) So it is scriptural.

But we are off topic

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 01-29-2010 at 04:11 PM..

Old 01-29-2010, 06:33 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
You are agreeing with a mystic who doesn't believe in scripture. How does he know what is an abominationation to God if he doesn't believe in scripture.
Now I have told you repeatedly that I believe the scriptures, Fundy . . . yet you repeatedly misrepresent it (oh, hell you do it enough that it has to be deliberate . . . YOU LIE ABOUT IT at every opportunity.) Please stop. Just because you literally read scripture like an ignorant primitive savage from 2000+ years ago does NOT mean that I don't believe scripture when I call you on that primitive ignorance.
Quote:
I stand by what I said
You have every right to be divisive and contentious and separate the church of Christ into "True" and not true . . . using fallible human interpretations of primitive writings. I wouldn't be so bold or self-assured, myself. If someone claims to follow Christ . . . I applaud it and rejoice with God in the fact. God will not be fooled. He doesn't need you to point out the "True" Christians!!!

Last edited by MysticPhD; 01-29-2010 at 06:42 PM..

Old 01-29-2010, 06:44 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,513 times
defense has the ball

Old 01-29-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
defense has the ball
I assume that post was meant for me. I am very glad to see that you recognize that I am the defense.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:47 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
I assume that post was meant for me. I am very glad to see that you recognize that I am the defense.
Detroit Lions comes to my mind

Old 01-29-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Detroit Lions comes to my mind
More like the Reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaadaaaaaaas!!

Old 01-29-2010, 09:07 PM

100 posts, read 344,083 times
Paul did set up doctrine. But I think that , in the last 2000 years , man has proven that he cannot handle doctrine without distorting it.

My doctrine isn't about jesus. My doctrine is jesus

Old 01-30-2010, 06:31 AM

284 posts, read 320,093 times
Quote:

I stand by what I said
Jesus himself was a mystic - he spoke in parables about 'the secret of the Kingdom of God' and said that he did so in order that people 'may listen and listen, yet not understand' (Mark 4:11-12). Yet he clearly believed in Scripture. Why do you have to reject others' understandings just because they interpret Scripture in a different way to you?

I will not write you off you as an 'unbeliever', even though your literalist 'doctrine' seems to have an 'unsound' basis:
Jesus' mission was to 'preach the Good News' (Mark 1:14-15), and we are told that he 'would not speak to the people without using parables' (Mark 4:34).
The gospel writers were followers of Jesus - they followed his lead in their gospels by preaching 'This is the Good News' (Mark 1:1). Why then would they not have followed Jesus' lead by preaching their own gospels using parables too?

Many believe in Christ's way of preaching - many believe in parables. These people are the fundamentalists - they accept the fundamental basis behind the preaching of the Christian gospel. If you don't want to believe in parabolic meanings, that's fine, but to ourightly reject the possibility that the gospel writers used metaphor seems to be censoring Jesus' own form of communication.

The book 'The Judas Secret' has given me good grounds for believing that the gospel is all true, and that its story is told partly literally and partly
through parable and metaphor. This approach is great for assuaging peoples' doubts. So many more people could believe in the Bible, yet most are prevented from doing so by some Christians' arbitrary and aggressive
insistence on literalism. If only Christianity could free itself from this unnecessary straitjacket, its gospel message could be opened up to a whole new section of the population.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Sherente View Post
Jesus himself was a mystic - he spoke in parables about 'the secret of the Kingdom of God' and said that he did so in order that people 'may listen and listen, yet not understand' (Mark 4:11-12). Yet he clearly believed in Scripture. Why do you have to reject others' understandings just because they interpret Scripture in a different way to you?..............
No Jesus was not a mystic and Jesus believed in scripture as He was ALWAYS quoting from it...."it is written"........"Have you not heard" as mystics only pick and choose what they want from scripture. I am not mad at them, they are just lost and misguided as I was. A mystic has much the understanding of scripture as an unbeliever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity