U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-30-2010, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Tennessee/Michigan
28,000 posts, read 46,434,155 times
Reputation: 19414

Advertisements

The Freedom From Religion Foundation, a leading atheist organization that is organizing a boycott.

If anything qualifies as a no-brainer, it would seem to be honoring Mother Teresa of Calcutta on a stamp. Not really the biggest laurel the late Nobel Prize winner and sure-fire saint will ever merit, but nothing to sniff at -- especially given the price of a stamp these days.

Mother Teresa: Should a Saint Get Postal Service's Stamp of Approval? -- Politics Daily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2010, 04:46 PM
 
Location: missouri
1,179 posts, read 1,178,094 times
Reputation: 151
I think she would touch the "untouchables" that everyone else in that great enlightened culture would just pass by. Why our stamps though, ummmmmmmmm, maybe another two-bit actor, or how about Gore who won the nobel prize because of a power point? Wait, I think he goes to church; maybe not, he will have to be questioned about his faith first- a litmus test for stamps! What a country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2010, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
6,715 posts, read 12,052,841 times
Reputation: 4273
Mother Teresa was a fallen Catholic, an Atheist no less, and a dichotomy-driven nutjob bent on pushing a sick and twisted version of the Catholic faith by weaseling her way into the poorest countries in the world. She accepted money from despotic dictators including the corrupt Haitian dictator Jean-Claude Duvalier (from whom the Haitian people are paying a dear price for as a result of his corruption), refused any sort of structural means to end poverty, and oppressed women in her teachings. She had business dealings with the disgraced financier Charles Keating and even refused to give back money she had obtained from Keating that she knew came from fraudulent means.

Her sainthood is a joke, she was a fraud, and she has no place being on a stamp regardless of whatever good deeds she masqueraded her corruption behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2010, 05:01 PM
 
136 posts, read 169,153 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Mother Teresa was a fallen Catholic, an Atheist no less, and a dichotomy-driven nutjob bent on pushing a sick and twisted version of the Catholic faith by weaseling her way into the poorest countries in the world. She accepted money from despotic dictators including the corrupt Haitian dictator (from whom the Haitian people are paying a dear price for as a result of his corruption), refused any sort of structural means to end poverty, and oppressed women in her teachings. She had business dealings with the disgraced financier Charles Keating and even refused to give back money she had obtained from Keating that she knew came from fraudulent means.

Her sainthood is a joke, she was a fraud, and she has no place being on a stamp regardless of whatever good deeds she masqueraded her corruption behind.
I didn't know that, do you have a link?
What did she do with the money she acquired?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2010, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
6,715 posts, read 12,052,841 times
Reputation: 4273
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJScott View Post
I didn't know that, do you have a link?
What did she do with the money she acquired?
Read:

The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice

As far as links go:

Mother Teresa the Atheist:

Was Mother Teresa an atheist? | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Letters Reveal Mother Teresa's Secret - CBS Evening News - CBS News

Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith - TIME

As far as Mother Teresa accepting money from the corrupt Jean-Paul Duvalier and Charles Keating, I suggest you read Aroup Chatterjee's book:

Mother Teresa: The Final Verdict.

In it, Chatterjee, a man who formerly worked in one of Teresa's homes, made a well-documented case that not only did she lie about the amount of good she was doing but accepted money on numerous occasions from some very shady and awful people. He also goes on to say on numerous occasions that despite the money donated to her, a large portion of the money never went towards charitable causes at all. It's like it just 'disappeared.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2010, 05:33 PM
 
136 posts, read 169,153 times
Reputation: 35
Thank you for the links I plan on starting now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2010, 11:43 PM
 
3,803 posts, read 4,814,428 times
Reputation: 3464
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Read:

The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice

As far as links go:

Mother Teresa the Atheist:

Was Mother Teresa an atheist? | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Letters Reveal Mother Teresa's Secret - CBS Evening News - CBS News

Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith - TIME

As far as Mother Teresa accepting money from the corrupt Jean-Paul Duvalier and Charles Keating, I suggest you read Aroup Chatterjee's book:

Mother Teresa: The Final Verdict.

In it, Chatterjee, a man who formerly worked in one of Teresa's homes, made a well-documented case that not only did she lie about the amount of good she was doing but accepted money on numerous occasions from some very shady and awful people. He also goes on to say on numerous occasions that despite the money donated to her, a large portion of the money never went towards charitable causes at all. It's like it just 'disappeared.'
sigh----what constitutes a good person in your eyes?----read her books---she NEVER likened herself to a saint---------if we can celebrate muslims with a stamp why not her????
her organization still does the good care she FOUNDED!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2010, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Indianapolis
4,325 posts, read 5,138,350 times
Reputation: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Mother Teresa was a fallen Catholic, an Atheist no less, and a dichotomy-driven nutjob bent on pushing a sick and twisted version of the Catholic faith by weaseling her way into the poorest countries in the world. She accepted money from despotic dictators including the corrupt Haitian dictator Jean-Claude Duvalier (from whom the Haitian people are paying a dear price for as a result of his corruption), refused any sort of structural means to end poverty, and oppressed women in her teachings. She had business dealings with the disgraced financier Charles Keating and even refused to give back money she had obtained from Keating that she knew came from fraudulent means.

Her sainthood is a joke, she was a fraud, and she has no place being on a stamp regardless of whatever good deeds she masqueraded her corruption behind.
Actually, you are quite, quite wrong about her. You should read things that aren't gossip and are first hand. She didn't come here to change the world or her surroundings. She came to make the dark places brighter, as we all should do.

The last I heard, she is far up in the heavens, higher than most will go when they die. She's a great person and she helped many, many people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top