U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2010, 10:45 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,189,981 times

Advertisements

If you think about the pain quotient, all the suffering in this world will not be the tiniest fraction of the suffering the unsaved will experience in hell.

So why, when people refute God's goodness, do they tend to point to the 'Evil in the world' instead of the fact God will send most people to hell?

I think the reasons are threefold;

1. the suffering on earth is more immediate and part of their worldview/experience

2. they don't believe/take the idea of hell seriously

3. many non-religious people actually see justice in hell, SOMETIMES out of a spirit of revenge or a thirst for 'justice'.

A deeper question could be; how come, throughout history, punishment has often far exceeded the actual crime?

Hanging for stealing a bread of loaf

Burned alive for heresy

Stoned for adultery

Humans seem willing to counter evil with EVEN MORE EVIL. If someone slaps them, they slap them back twice as hard. Doesn't this go back to the human ego/survival strategy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 11:07 AM

8,435 posts, read 8,391,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
If you think about the pain quotient, all the suffering in this world will not be the tiniest fraction of the suffering the unsaved will experience in hell.

So why, when people refute God's goodness, do they tend to point to the 'Evil in the world' instead of the fact God will send most people to hell?

I think the reasons are threefold;

1. the suffering on earth is more immediate and part of their worldview/experience

2. they don't believe/take the idea of hell seriously

3. many non-religious people actually see justice in hell, SOMETIMES out of a spirit of revenge or a thirst for 'justice'.

A deeper question could be; how come, throughout history, punishment has often far exceeded the actual crime?

Hanging for stealing a bread of loaf

Burned alive for heresy

Stoned for adultery

Humans seem willing to counter evil with EVEN MORE EVIL. If someone slaps them, they slap them back twice as hard. Doesn't this go back to the human ego/survival strategy?
Yes.. actually I believe that those who think more people will be in hell than in heaven are serving a human ego god. The God that I know doesn't have an EGO to fulfill.. he is God.. no one even comes close to challenging his authority...

It just shows the lack of confidence in the human race and God's ability to be merciful to those who deserve no mercy...

Old 02-03-2010, 11:17 AM

1,647 posts, read 1,708,896 times
because most secular people do not mean the "Christian" God when they speak about God, God in their opinion has to be good, they think a good God would not have created a world with conditions as they are, the idea of hell is way to ridicilious (from their point of view) to even refer to it; but it is the main argument against Christianity, and they are right in my opinion, often I have the impression some agnostics are closer to the truth than those who deem themself "orthodox"

They do not take Christianity even serious enough, so they refute the idea of God in general is my impression.

I'm from Europe and here hardly anybody does believe in hell.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:49 AM

8,989 posts, read 12,454,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

So why, when people refute God's goodness, do they tend to point to the 'Evil in the world' instead of the fact God will send most people to hell?........
I will show you God's goodness. This is "Happy Blasphemy day" where they deliberately blaspheme God's name. God knew they would blaspheme His name before the creation and yet God showers His goodness upon them. Look at this individual blaspheming God's name on a beautiful day which God provided, they are strong and healthy which God also provided, well fed again which God provided, nice clothes and glasses which God again provided and he is rich and living in a free society-so much more that we don't have time to list which all provided by God and YET they blasphemed His name. Wow! Isn't God good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrDq9tHPTFE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0AjS...eature=related

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 02-03-2010 at 11:57 AM..

Old 02-03-2010, 01:54 PM

17,968 posts, read 12,437,909 times
Trimac20, I think part of the problem is that people fail to see that God uses evil that good may come. He never uses evil as an end in itself.

Suppose I live in Haiti and lived through the earthquake buy suppose my lovely daughter was either maimed for life or killed. Being the mature Christian that I am I would know that "God is working all _____ together for GOOD." Let's fill in the blank. "God is working all evil together for good.

Did you see the movie "Time Bandits" years ago? At the end of the movie the young boy with a British accent asked God: "God, why is there so much evil in the world?" And God replied: "Let's just say it has something to do with free will." But nothing could be further from the truth.

It would have been much better, and more in line with Scripture for God to have said: "Let's just say it has something to do with Me working it all together for good."

Peace,
Tony
Saviour of all Fellowship, universal reconciliation, salvation of all mankind

Old 02-03-2010, 04:08 PM

370 posts, read 378,856 times
Think about this.

How are we to know if something is rough?
Well, we check out what's smooth and we compare the two right?

How are we to know if something is hard?
Well, we check out what's soft and we compare the two right?

So, how are we to know if something is good?
Well, we check out what's evil and we compare the two, of course.

So why are we experiencing evil in this world? To be able to know God who is good. Without evil, we could not be in a relationship with the Father. He uses evil to show us what good is. However, there will come a time when everyone knows God and submits to Christ. Then and only then evil will be done away with.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:06 PM

17,968 posts, read 12,437,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaminghedge View Post
Think about this.

How are we to know if something is rough?
Well, we check out what's smooth and we compare the two right?

How are we to know if something is hard?
Well, we check out what's soft and we compare the two right?

So, how are we to know if something is good?
Well, we check out what's evil and we compare the two, of course.

So why are we experiencing evil in this world? To be able to know God who is good. Without evil, we could not be in a relationship with the Father. He uses evil to show us what good is. However, there will come a time when everyone knows God and submits to Christ. Then and only then evil will be done away with.
Excellent post Flaminghedge!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or