Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 09:20 AM

218 posts, read 397,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
While that is a bad one, it is not the root cause. The root cause is the concept of "sola scriptura". THAT is the the greatest cause of heretical thinking and the root cause of all Christian misinformation and division.
'sola scripture' = God's Word alone.

Hmm, so we should not trust God's Word alone for His Word cannot be trusted...according to you.

I see. We should trust your word above His.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:28 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I agree. He ALLOWED it . . . but it was our sinful natures that DID it. It was NOT God's punishment . . . but our sinfulness that made it necessary.
This is one of many issues in Christianity that alters our view of God. The Crucifixion is seen as a halting of God's impending wrath on humanity - that Jesus stepped in and held His Father at bay.

Jesus vs. God is what it amounts to in many people's minds, and that is simply not the case. It was God's love that sent His Son.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:41 AM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkwhisper View Post
You treat the Bible like its a smorgasborg; picking and choosing what you like and rejecting what you don't like. I reject that analysis.

I believe what the Lord says in totality of His Word, not your opinions and interpretations.
This requires that you accept a God who contradicts the CHRISTian one . . . whereas my use of the "mind of Christ" and His example of the TRUE NATURE of God is very CHRISTian . . . not JEHOVAN.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:42 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkwhisper View Post
'sola scripture' = God's Word alone.

Hmm, so we should not trust God's Word alone for His Word cannot be trusted...according to you.

I see. We should trust your word above His.
No one is arguing that the Bible is not a source of Devine Truth. It's the concept that the Bible is the LONE source of Devine Truth and that is the only well you can draw from. Problem is you good protestant folks keep coming up with different answers. Either the Holy Spirit is out to lunch or the sola scriptura concept is false. I am betting that the Holy Spirit is not making any mistakes, so maybe, just maybe, the problem lies with sola scriptura.

Humility my good brother is the key. Let's look at your comment: "I see. We should trust your word above His." My word has nothing to do with it. The problem is that when you read the Bible, are you receiving God's word or YOUR interpretation of God's Word? I have heard ad nauseum about how the Holy Spirit will guide you to the Truth about a particular interpretation of the Bible's verses, but either the Holy Spirit is picking and choosing who It wants to help or the Holy Spirit doesn't work that way. Look around you. Look at all the Churches that claim to use the Bible as it's single source of Truth. They don't even agree on salvation. So who's right and who's wrong? Dare I say, if one is humble, you should see, at best, that you might be right on some things and hopelessly wrong on other things despite the best intentions. Is it the Holy Spirit's fault or is your lack of humility that causes you to think that you yourself can make the call and that there was no one or organization placed on this earth with the Jesus given Authority to make the right call.

Last edited by juj; 02-05-2010 at 09:58 AM..

Old 02-05-2010, 10:33 AM

218 posts, read 397,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This requires that you accept a God who contradicts the CHRISTian one . . . whereas my use of the "mind of Christ" and His example of the TRUE NATURE of God is very CHRISTian . . . not JEHOVAN.
I don't believe a word you say. It is purely your opinion; human opinion.

I believe the Lord.

Nonetheless, I wish you well.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:20 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,273,833 times
This one has veered on and off topic along with enough personal and denominational bashing such that it is now CLOSED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity