Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 07:50 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,943,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronij View Post
but I can't shake the feeling that people around me think I will divorce! It breaks my heart and feel like the saddest fiancée.... Any advice would help, thank you.
Throw out your religion, if it makes you feel like that when you have found love it is not worth your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 09:18 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Throw out your religion, if it makes you feel like that when you have found love it is not worth your time.
There is not a person on earth-----my wife, my kids, my siblings--------who I would throw out my religion for.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
If he doesn't believe in "hell", "wrath", "rapture", "repent", "sins" ... then he must be a wonderful person. Isn't he?

A man makes his religion center of his life can not possibly care about you as much as he does.
A man whose religous beliefs are not the center of his life is not worth marrying.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:28 AM

63,776 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
There is not a person on earth-----my wife, my kids, my siblings--------who I would throw out my religion for.
I pity all of them . . . who probably think you love them . . . when your love is apparently completely self-centered and misguidedly misunderstands what God wants from us. There is nothing you can give to or add to God in any way shape or form . . . but by loving each other (especially those closest to us) we love Him (what you do to these the least . . .) and spread His love to everyone we touch.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:

Many don't, Fred Phelps won't either.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
A man whose religous beliefs are not the center of his life is not worth marrying.

Oh, they make it sound so simple, yet they do not know what they are saying.

Religious beliefs can be many many things, a buddist can have religious beliefs. Will you still say the same thing now?

Hold on folks, it will be clarification time now.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I pity all of them . . . who probably think you love them . . . when your love is apparently completely self-centered and misguidedly misunderstands what God wants from us. There is nothing you can give to or add to God in any way shape or form . . . but by loving each other (especially those closest to us) we love Him (what you do to these the least . . .) and spread His love to everyone we touch.
Agreed.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:12 AM

223 posts, read 268,831 times
Anyone quoting those passages from Romans can take a hike in my opinion. The only question you need to ask yourself when marrying someone is, do you truly, and I mean truly love them. Because:

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.
-- Corinthians 13:7-8 - all things, even the absense of someone being indoctrinated to the same extent you are.

In a word, there are three things that last forever:
Faith, hope, and love;
But the greatest of them all is love -- 1 Corinthians 13:4-7

The Greatest of all is love. It even trumps faith, meaning whatever your faith says, love trumps it.

"Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love." 1 John, 4:8

If you love this guy, and I mean really love him, then by the scriptures you are 'feeling' God.

"Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God and knoweth God ... Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us."
~1 John 4:7, 11-12~

God's love is perfected in us. Through us, God's love is perfected, so if you are feeling love for this man, real love then you're perfecting God's will.

So I'm sorry, but anyone quoting 2 passages from the 'angry letters' section of the bible that are sadly based on almost word for word quotations by a contemporary but secular philospher Philo who's writings date to before their completion has an issue, and is clearly underestimating how important the scripture considers love to be. If you are feeling real love for this man, then that's the most important thing. Without love, your faith is nothing. (you can find that well known passage yourself).

Old 10-04-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Oh, they make it sound so simple, yet they do not know what they are saying.

Religious beliefs can be many many things, a buddist can have religious beliefs. Will you still say the same thing now?

Hold on folks, it will be clarification time now.

Why are trying to spin things by bringing up --buddhist--religion?

Last time I checked, this forum was called --Christianity.

nice try at spinning,though.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Why are trying to spin things by bringing up --buddhist--religion?

Last time I checked, this forum was called --Christianity.

nice try at spinning,though.
No spinning, just making a point. When you talk of "Christianity" does that mean making people feel crappy because they found someone they love and cherish?

What does not throwing away your religious beliefs mean, If you find out your wrong about something in your "religious" beliefs are you saying you do not throw that out and just continue to believe it despite the error?

You didn;t address Fred Phelps, he would say he is a Christian, do you agree with what he teaches? Is he worth marrying because he never lets them go and they are more important than his own family?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity