U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:57 PM

4 posts, read 18,937 times

Advertisements

Hello, this is my first post. I decided to post to seek advice... I am madly in love to a wonderful man! He dotes on me, protects me and cares about me. We agree on so many issues and love to send time together. However, he does not believe that Jesus is the only way to get to heaven. He thinks that God does not let others go to hell. I was raised in a very conservative, Christian household, and have had many friends tell me I am making a BIG mistake. He proposed to me and of course I said yes, but I can't shake the feeling that people around me think I will divorce! It breaks my heart and feel like the saddest fiancée.... Any advice would help, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 02:03 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,714,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronij View Post
Hello, this is my first post. I decided to post to seek advice... I am madly in love to a wonderful man! He dotes on me, protects me and cares about me. We agree on so many issues and love to send time together. However, he does not believe that Jesus is the only way to get to heaven. He thinks that God does not let others go to hell. I was raised in a very conservative, Christian household, and have had many friends tell me I am making a BIG mistake. He proposed to me and of course I said yes, but I can't shake the feeling that people around me think I will divorce! It breaks my heart and feel like the saddest fiancée.... Any advice would help, thank you.
The best advice I can tell you is not to listen to anyone here including me without scripture to support their answers. The bible is there for us Christians to answer these questions we have.

(2 Corinthians 6:14)
14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

(2 Corinthians 6:15–17)
15 What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 16 [What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: “I will live with them and walk among them, and

Old 02-11-2010, 02:07 PM

4,325 posts, read 5,260,435 times
Quote:
Love should be formost in your heart as it matters not what one believes. I have been with someone who does not believe as I do and yet we love each other more than could be possible. We talk about our beliefs yet we don't fight over them. We take each others beliefs and try to understand them. If you Love, hold that in your heart and your relationship will bloom more than you can imagine. God loves each of us in spite of our beliefs. He is merciful to those who are not understanding. Be Love to each other and the small things will work out fine.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:14 PM

4 posts, read 18,937 times
Thank you for your responses. I have read those verses over and over again, and have had them read to me. Yet, I know that if I break it off with him that he will always be in my heart. He is the only man I know that loves me so completely (apart from my loving God and earthly father)... and I fell in love within a week of spending time with him. Has anyone ever married a nonbeliever, what has been there experience?

Old 02-11-2010, 02:18 PM

823 posts, read 1,120,760 times
He sounds like a wonderful loving man that believes in God. My husband was not a believer but through our marriage and his relationship with me he has been exposed to many believers and I am happy to say that now he does believe in God. It took some time and he is not as passionate as I am for God's Love but it is there and I can see his desire for God growing.

He has been the most loving and caring partner, husband, friend, father and I feel so blessed to have him. I had major surgery two years ago and he was right there by my side nurturing me and bringing me back to health.

Here is my Valentine Day card to him: Our Love is a Miracle that's the only way I can explain it. God sent you to me to enhance my life, and to show me taht love, real love, makes all the difference. You are God's miracle in my life, and I love you with all my heart

Your fiance appears to believe in God.... that is a great starting point don't you think? He sounds like a wonderful human being as well that loves and adores you. Some people look all of their lives for such love and never find it.

I prayed to God to bring his light to my husband in whatever form he needed to do so..... it did not happen overnight but I am so thankful I didn't let this wonderful man go.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:19 PM

8,989 posts, read 12,714,218 times
Quote:
Thank you for your responses. I have read those verses over and over again, and have had them read to me. Yet, I know that if I break it off with him that he will always be in my heart. He is the only man I know that loves me so completely (apart from my loving God and earthly father)... and I fell in love within a week of spending time with him. Has anyone ever married a nonbeliever, what has been there experience?
well then it sounds like you made your mind up. I think you should make your decision based on your convictions and pray it works out well especially in the raising of your children.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:25 PM

6,221 posts, read 6,613,061 times
Perhaps God will use you to bring him to Jesus? And perhaps God will use him to teach you something to? Hope that made sense...

Pray to God, ask for guidance, go with your gut. Whatever happens, have faith in God to work it out, He is in control.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:43 PM

7,556 posts, read 11,890,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post
My husband was not a believer but through our marriage and his relationship with me he has been exposed to many believers and I am happy to say that now he does believe in God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Perhaps God will use you to bring him to Jesus?
That's what I'm talking about! Know that He is King, live like He is and watch what He does.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:28 PM

8,100 posts, read 7,067,151 times
Break the curse of lies and religion of this man though your prayer.... Claim this family member to be saved in Jesus name as your Covernant with Jesus Christ..... Jesus said if your spouse is unfathfull to you and to Jesus you may divorce that spouse with heaven pass..... Claim that person for Christ. let Jesus turn your spouse around..... Just pray he will be saved, believe with your heart, believe your spouse will come into your marrage covernant together with Jesus Christ.... And never let the devil get you to think It is hopeless......

Old 02-11-2010, 04:33 PM

31,777 posts, read 24,885,911 times
Quote:
From what I see, he is more of a believer in God, and you, more in scriptures. As long as you both respect each other, I don't see why there should be any problem.

Or, would you rather be with a "religious man" who believes in everything you do, that all non-religious/other religion folks will burn in hell, but doesn't love you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or