Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 04:55 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,941,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham222 View Post
By the way I still don't think that addresses my question. Ok sinners can't get into Heaven but why did Jesus die? That's the bit I have trouble with. Is it because He led a life free from sin and even in death held faith and is acting as an example to us all perhaps?
To deliver us from sin, not just to cover it up. God's children now have power to live free from committing sin. Sin no longer has dominion over us. We walk in the light.

He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. - 1 John 3:8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 05:00 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Yes sinners can get into Heaven because of what Jesus did on the cross and if we ask Him into our heart and forgive us of our sins. Yes He did a life free of sin, He was the perfect sacrifice, the Lamb of God.
This is why this fellow may be confused about Christian teaching. It would make no sense for Jesus to go through the agony of Calvary if we will continue to commit sin. Jesus performed many miracles, yet you don't think He offers the miracle of setting us free from all sin? The power is in the blood to set us completely free.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:01 PM

31 posts, read 56,657 times
I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA please tell me you made a typo otherwise you just directly contradicted scgraham. Either sinners can or they can't get into heaven.

What is an accountable age? What about people with learning disabilities who die at an older age than children?

Why didn't the all powerful God just be rid of the devil instead of casting out Adam and Eve.

I can buy that Jesus is an example though and what he preached is a good decent way to live your life. It's all the threats I have trouble swallowing, believe in me or else. Buddishm doesn't have all of this and has just as peaceful message.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:13 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,833,229 times
We have a choice be with God or eternal seperation from God. All are sinner but only the faithful repent and seek to serve God. They stumble and fall but Christ is there to pick them up. There is only one way to God and that is thru Christ who is the way the truth and the life.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
We have a choice be with God or eternal seperation from God. All are sinner but only the faithful repent and seek to serve God. They stumble and fall but Christ is there to pick them up. There is only one way to God and that is thru Christ who is the way the truth and the life.
Like I said I can buy into that, I belive Jesus's example probably is the way the truth and the life. I am looking for answers to the other questions though.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:05 PM

720 posts, read 705,098 times
Where to start? I have studied religion for over 30 years and in the begining had some of the same questions as you have now. And like you, the answers I recieved from most well meaning Christian folk was, to put it bluntly, disappointing. I will say, after decades of extensive research and travel, I believe in Jesus and God wholeheartedly. On the other hand what I have found to be the truth as I have discovered it, is not the way the average Christian believes it to be. Christians tend to believe things taught to them without question and that is the begining of fallacy. More later...

Old 02-12-2010, 06:10 PM

Thanks, I'm listening...

Old 02-12-2010, 06:12 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,152,358 times
Well, my advice is worthless, but I offer it to you none the less.

You have done something unique for God. You have come out of the mystery religion.

You desire to know God, and His Son Jesus Christ, but find the religious jargon too much to swallow. Don't worry about it. If your heart is right towards God, and you serve Him alone, then doors will start opening at a pace that is quicker as you grow.

Asking questions is good, but I can tell you have hundreds, as did those of us who became truthseekers. It is really, really cool to come into the knowledge and wisdom found in understanding His Word, but only He can give it to you. Even if you share it, some may still not see it.

So, have patience. Stay embedded in His Word with prayers and thanksgiving. But patience is the key. We can already tell your love for him is strong, but these questions you have should never, ever take your eyes off of Him. You will go through doctrines upon doctrines, as you learn and grow.

Think of child who is 3-4 years old and asking why to everything. God loves this. So ask Him questions, and lean upon His Wisdom for understanding.

To answer your question regarding why did Jesus have to die?
Simply put, so you don't have to.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:14 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,438,070 times
Why did Jesus have to die for our sins?

Because if we we're capable of saving our selves....wouldn't we have done so?

Old 02-12-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Well, my advice is worthless, but I offer it to you none the less.

You have done something unique for God. You have come out of the mystery religion.

You desire to know God, and His Son Jesus Christ, but find the religious jargon too much to swallow. Don't worry about it. If your heart is right towards God, and you serve Him alone, then doors will start opening at a pace that is quicker as you grow.

Asking questions is good, but I can tell you have hundreds, as did those of us who became truthseekers. It is really, really cool to come into the knowledge and wisdom found in understanding His Word, but only He can give it to you. Even if you share it, some may still not see it.

So, have patience. Stay embedded in His Word with prayers and thanksgiving. But patience is the key. We can already tell your love for him is strong, but these questions you have should never, ever take your eyes off of Him. You will go through doctrines upon doctrines, as you learn and grow.

Think of child who is 3-4 years old and asking why to everything. God loves this. So ask Him questions, and lean upon His Wisdom for understanding.

To answer your question regarding why did Jesus have to die?
Simply put, so you don't have to.

Good answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity