U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 11:24 AM

11,005 posts, read 12,536,505 times

Advertisements

This just came to my attention the other day from a couple friends who attend "non denominational" churches. They said their churches don't acknowledge Ash Wednesday, Lent, Holy Thursday, or Good Friday. As for the last two, maybe they acknowledge them, but there is no church service on those days.

Why is this? Seems like this is a very fundamental part of Christianity and I can't imagine this time of year going to church and then suddenly, BAM! It's Easter, with nothing leading up to it. I'm assuming these are churches that in no way follow the Liturgical Calendar either.

Lent is described as "The forty days represent the time that, according to the Bible, Jesus spent in the desert before the beginning of his public ministry, where he endured temptation by Satan." The traditional purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer — through prayer, penitence, almsgiving and self-denial — for the annual commemoration during Holy Week of the Death and Resurrection of Jesus, which recalls the events linked to the Passion of Christ and culminates in Easter, the celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

I'm just curious why the more fundamental/evangelical denominations ignore all this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 11:53 AM

8,990 posts, read 8,697,731 times
One reason is that it has become "sacramental" but take away that I don't see why any Christian can't practice it.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:13 PM

4,191 posts, read 3,199,072 times
I personally do not put one day or time over another. Not that I dont recognize the works of Christ but I believe everyday should be dedicated to the Lord.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:34 PM

9,482 posts, read 5,024,962 times
Probably this isn't what people want to hear.

Ash Wednesday, Lent, Holy Thursday, or Good Friday deals with:
  • the subject of sin.
  • the fact that God holds sin accountable.
  • the fact that everybody is an acountable sinner
  • the fact that God's wrath against sin is real
  • that people rather would have a feel good, entertainment message
  • that the price that satisfied God is non-negotiable
  • that since we were purchased by his blood, we need to honor God with our body...which goes against the ='s crowd

Last edited by twin.spin; 02-16-2010 at 12:58 PM..

Old 02-16-2010, 12:40 PM

6,899 posts, read 2,780,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
This just came to my attention the other day from a couple friends who attend "non denominational" churches. They said their churches don't acknowledge Ash Wednesday, Lent, Holy Thursday, or Good Friday. As for the last two, maybe they acknowledge them, but there is no church service on those days.

Why is this? Seems like this is a very fundamental part of Christianity and I can't imagine this time of year going to church and then suddenly, BAM! It's Easter, with nothing leading up to it. I'm assuming these are churches that in no way follow the Liturgical Calendar either.

Lent is described as "The forty days represent the time that, according to the Bible, Jesus spent in the desert before the beginning of his public ministry, where he endured temptation by Satan." The traditional purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer — through prayer, penitence, almsgiving and self-denial — for the annual commemoration during Holy Week of the Death and Resurrection of Jesus, which recalls the events linked to the Passion of Christ and culminates in Easter, the celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

I'm just curious why the more fundamental/evangelical denominations ignore all this.
I'm Southern Baptist. We do these things year-round. We do, of course, celebrate Easter Sunday. We regard this as the holiest of days. Our pastor will lead up to Easter Sunday in his sermons & our music may point toward Easter as we get near. Other than that, we don't do anything different than any other time of year. We don't want these things to become ritualistic.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I'm Southern Baptist. We do these things year-round. We do, of course, celebrate Easter Sunday. We regard this as the holiest of days. Our pastor will lead up to Easter Sunday in his sermons & our music may point toward Easter as we get near. Other than that, we don't do anything different than any other time of year. We don't want these things to become ritualistic.
So it sounds to me like it's just the spectrum of Christianity and how denominations along the spectrum peel off more and more layers that resemble Catholicism.

I suppose "ritualistic" can be bad or good, depending on who you ask. Tomorrow we will celebrate Ash Wednesday with communion, candlelight, and the imposition of ashes. It's all very symbolic, but then the fundamentalist movement seems to be very anti symbolism and more about literalism.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:19 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,576,496 times
There's nothing wrong with observing Lent, per se, but its become bastardized in today's society. There's no real sacrifice involved....just because you don't eat meat on Fridays in lent, but you gorge on pizza and deep-fried fish does not mean you are sacrificing.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
I personally do not put one day or time over another. Not that I dont recognize the works of Christ but I believe everyday should be dedicated to the Lord.
I suppose, but certainly focusing on certain aspects of Christianity for Lent can't hurt, if not draw you in to the Easter event.

I'm thinking this is more about tradition than anything else though - whether you do or don't participate in Lent.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
There's nothing wrong with observing Lent, per se, but its become bastardized in today's society. There's no real sacrifice involved....just because you don't eat meat on Fridays in lent, but you gorge on pizza and deep-fried fish does not mean you are sacrificing.
Very true. It's up to the individual to participate and make personal sacrifices. My own sacrifices... probably no one other than me will know about them.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:36 PM

4,191 posts, read 3,199,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I suppose, but certainly focusing on certain aspects of Christianity for Lent can't hurt, if not draw you in to the Easter event.

I'm thinking this is more about tradition than anything else though - whether you do or don't participate in Lent.

Not really, it is about my personal relationship with Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity