Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 08:00 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times

Advertisements

So this morning as I was having my favorite breakfast (pancakes) I turn on the TV to CNN and see the headline on the screen "Is congress broken" stemming from all the inactivity people have been accusing congress of lately and the reporter had some author/historian/ "expert" on why congress is broken. The author started spouting off the usual historical events and analysis but then the interviewer asked, but how can we fix congress? The expert's answer was for the President to get tough and say to congress, we are here for the american people and things must get done and then he should take measures to push the healthcare bill, job bill etc... and when things are being pushed then the american people will be happy because it looks like things are getting done. Wow! that's his answer? and what if the bills turn out to be bad? what if congress isn't broken and it is really just "checks and balances" during a rough impatient period, and a president pushing things regardless is what actually causes a broken congress? does it still work in favor of the American people? which is more important that the people see things getting done even if the bills passed turn out to be bad or that good bills are eventually passed in what looks like grid lock.

Then it dawns on me that isn't this the answer for many Christians who think Christianity is broken as well, just as long as we push things through things would be for the better and Christians would feel better about Christianity not to mention a great testimony to the world. You are a universalist? no prob...what? You don't believe Jesus is God? then welcome....You actually believe Jesus is Michael the arch angel? the more the marrier is what I always say....You don't believe Jesus actually existed but the concept of his mythological being sustains your spiritualism as an individual in a collective body......hmmmmmm....duhhhh. Come on in! I mean we are all brothers and sisters in Christ and as long as we show solidarity by moving things on and not grid locking Christianity by adopting mean spirited, uptight, unproductive, religious doctrines then things are ok, right?

I mean what is more important that the world sees all "Christians" getting along in solidarity even if it may not be good or biblical or that we create soundly saved people so they are not deluded for their own good of their salvation by adopting good doctrines even if it appears as grid lock?

I mean is Christianity really broken if not then which one of those options will break Christianity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 10:05 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,405,567 times
Diluting christianity will not break it-it already is broken, it will just continue becoming more of a mush bag with a disappearing self description and understanding. When a system loses its ability to define itself the boundary with its environment breaks down and it becomes confused. Think of a crazy guy who is losing his sense of self and no longer knows reality from delusions. Christianity needs to constantly re-define itself from its environment (all systems do-think of science, in reference to global warming, being what seems to be a political pressure {from the political system, environmentalist systems, others?} placed on findings or outcomes to be in conformity to those system's goals-science is becoming politicized and that blurs the distinction between science and politics). Theology is one means of boundary maintenance and the idea that one can be a christian or a jesus freak without it or the bible means no theology, except some made up sort based on whatever. Preaching is another form of boundary maintenance, and mush bag preaching-without theology-helps to deconstruct the boundary and blur the distinction between christianity and everything else; one might say that much of christianity has now become insane.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:15 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
1. Congress is working fine - the less they do, the more freedom we have.

2. The Father will be the final arbiter on who is and is not in heaven. No need for me to worry - it's His responsibility.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:47 AM

696 posts, read 915,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
1. Congress is working fine - the less they do, the more freedom we have.

2. The Father will be the final arbiter on who is and is not in heaven. No need for me to worry - it's His responsibility.
I agree The Father is the final word on what is. What He accepts I will accept in eternity. Just because someone claims The Father doesnt mean they have Him. Christ will return and He will judge righteously for me. I have nothing to fear.

In regards to Congress. What more needs to be said? It is quite clear this country never was, nor is, nor ever will be of my Lord. I pray for them, but have no faith in them. Only in Christ can I show faith.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:01 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen antrim View Post
Diluting christianity will not break it-it already is broken, it will just continue becoming more of a mush bag with a disappearing self description and understanding. When a system loses its ability to define itself the boundary with its environment breaks down and it becomes confused. Think of a crazy guy who is losing his sense of self and no longer knows reality from delusions. Christianity needs to constantly re-define itself from its environment (all systems do-think of science, in reference to global warming, being what seems to be a political pressure {from the political system, environmentalist systems, others?} placed on findings or outcomes to be in conformity to those system's goals-science is becoming politicized and that blurs the distinction between science and politics). Theology is one means of boundary maintenance and the idea that one can be a christian or a jesus freak without it or the bible means no theology, except some made up sort based on whatever. Preaching is another form of boundary maintenance, and mush bag preaching-without theology-helps to deconstruct the boundary and blur the distinction between christianity and everything else; one might say that much of christianity has now become insane.
Christianity is not broken - since Christ is the head.

The followers (if they are truly followers) can be confused because Christ is not the focus of their "Christianity". I think that is what you are seeing out there.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:56 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,405,567 times
How come you people aren't at work? I will be wanting my SS soon! I agree with you-in its pure form it can't be broken and is guaranteed to prevail-it can be dumber than a mud fence though, and by its dumber than snot members it can become hidden or lost for a time-this is something, and; broken, in the far country, blind, stupid, awhoring, forsaken, lost in Nod, etc are all words that seem to me descriptive of the members-who make up the church, at least some of them. It can also be sold out at garage sale prices to wanna bes and dolts. If the boundary is blurred then all those wolves come in that somebody talked about and take over. In its various fake forms, their many visible forms, the fakes can be broken, succeed, disappear, etc. When one imitates christianity it can be done in reference to the real thing-the two then become hard to tell apart (like Hans Christian Andersen's headstone in Copenhagen-except for the cracked one, both are identical and one has to know where the cracked one is just to know that there is an imitation), and in christianity's olden days, when people thought a little more, this very issue had caused a lot of trouble and was settled at various time to make the distinction between the real and imitation (trinitarian, grace, bible only, freewill and election, etc controversies)-one was cracked. Today, a lot that passes as the christian has no reference to the real and these forms no longer need to try to be even close as the "true" church; imitation is no longer needed or desired, like a feminist on a first date who has to prove she is liberated, the true church will take it all in, in the method of its confusion and its embarrassment at being a distinct system and in the name of love and harmony, etc. When one attempts a simulated form with no reference to the real thing, it is called simulacra. Jesus people who do not want the bible and the church, and its resultant need for theology are of this type. This Jesus is created without any reference to the real (the bible is the nearly only source) Jesus, then these "followers" are in a simulacrum-which obviously, as the hidden meaning, is that there is no real.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:05 PM

303 posts, read 569,768 times
Go along to get along the truth is most christians love their sin more than they love God and they want what the world wants ! ! !
Its rather easy to believe when you live in the middle class compfort of america
The mentality that says our God is an awsome God as long as I my belly & my bank account are full and I get what I desire out of this life
Where in the bible does it say Jesus came to give us " life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness "...IT DOESNT

He said he came to "give us life and give it more abundantly "
That means spiritual life because we were spiritually dead
He also said " to give you the desires of your heart "
Which means 2 me that He and His Kingdom should be the desires of your heart or your completely out of step with His will

" no man can serve 2 masters " $$$$
"DENY yourself, pick up your CROSS and follow me "

IST TIMOTHY 6
7 for we brought nothing into the world, for neither can we carry anything out;
8 but having food and covering we shall be therewith content.
9 But they that are minded to be rich fall into a temptation and a snare and many foolish and hurtful lusts, such as drown men in destruction and perdition.
10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil: which some reaching after have been led astray from the faith, and have pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Last edited by caucazhin; 02-18-2010 at 03:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity