Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 12:39 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,128,885 times

Advertisements

If God exists and is sovereign, then there is no true randomness.

Any thoughts on the implications of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 01:01 PM

45,579 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Correct. You can remove the "IF" at the beginning of your post.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:13 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,128,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Correct. You can remove the "IF" at the beginning of your post.

Ok - but then it wouldn't be a properly formed statement.

I find the idea very interesting if you think about it. It means every die roll, every flip of a coin, the outcome is already set in stone. It means there are no coincidences.

I guess it ties into God's foreknowledge as well - for if God knows the future, then the future is already set in stone, just as the past is.

I'm a hobby gamer, I like playing strategy board games and card games (Tichu, Hearts). Often they involve a lot of decisions and critical thinking to advance your position in the game, and there is always a random element, whether that be a card draw, dice roll, or even another player interaction you hadn't anticipated, that can sometimes completely throw your game off.

But if you look at all this from the perspective of God, its all a done deal. Even big sporting events - the Olympics!

To me it is humbling. In some ways it shows the futility of it all. But I still like my gaming

Old 02-19-2010, 02:40 PM

45,579 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Ok - but then it wouldn't be a properly formed statement.

I find the idea very interesting if you think about it. It means every die roll, every flip of a coin, the outcome is already set in stone. It means there are no coincidences.
Right - similar to the casting of lots back in their day.

Quote:
I guess it ties into God's foreknowledge as well - for if God knows the future, then the future is already set in stone, just as the past is.

I'm a hobby gamer, I like playing strategy board games and card games (Tichu, Hearts). Often they involve a lot of decisions and critical thinking to advance your position in the game, and there is always a random element, whether that be a card draw, dice roll, or even another player interaction you hadn't anticipated, that can sometimes completely throw your game off.

But if you look at all this from the perspective of God, its all a done deal. Even big sporting events - the Olympics!

To me it is humbling. In some ways it shows the futility of it all. But I still like my gaming
I suppose you could say that God allows us to entertain ourselves by the means of our own futility.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:23 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Playing the lottery and winning the lottery is not even from God...... Were the balls come down and determine the winning numbers is demonic..... I know this from experiance, from the gambling from the years before I came to know Jesus........Were I would pick numbers through the zodiac formulas, and I never won the big won, but I did break even on all my spending, which through these experiance I witnessed how the demons would manipulate the balls to fall that made the winning numbers..... there is two reasons that Christians must stay away from Gambling, one is demonic influence in the how the game is won , and two the spending of the Children of Gods money through the wager, which is rejected in Heaven............. See God may know the future of the life of his Children, but we are NEVER to hold it against him for his unwilling to share that knowledge when we could have needing it most, were should have been obediant to begin with or we might have been going through something that will be managable down the road.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:23 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,567,313 times
Quote:
If God exists and is sovereign, then there is no true randomness.
But there could be apparent, measured randomness also.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:31 AM

78 posts, read 107,421 times
Quote:

Yeah, like we can have square circles

Old 02-20-2010, 10:34 AM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
Randomness is an artifical construct of our artifical mathematics that results from our ignorance about that which we "measure." It ONLY exists as "measured" human ignorance . . . there is no "real" random anything.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:38 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,567,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Randomness is an artifical construct of our artifical mathematics that results from our ignorance about that which we "measure." It ONLY exists as "measured" human ignorance . . . there is no "real" random anything.
So is every event individually induced by an agent beyond the cosmos?

Old 02-20-2010, 10:48 AM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
So is every event individually induced by an agent beyond the cosmos?
No . . . but every event follows the "laws" and "rules" of the Cosmos (physics, chemical, biological, moral, etc.) that have consequences associated with ignoring or violating them. We are to learn them and endure to the end of this mortal existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity