U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:01 AM

28,209 posts, read 47,606,329 times

Advertisements

VATICAN CITY (AP) The Vatican says the number of Catholics as a percentage of the worldwide faithful is growing slightly.

The Holy See says that from 2007 to 2008 Roman Catholics grew from 17.33%of the global population to 17.4%.

Vatican: Number of Catholics rising worldwide - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 11:17 AM

438 posts, read 937,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
VATICAN CITY (AP) The Vatican says the number of Catholics as a percentage of the worldwide faithful is growing slightly.

The Holy See says that from 2007 to 2008 Roman Catholics grew from 17.33%of the global population to 17.4%.

Vatican: Number of Catholics rising worldwide - USATODAY.com

I see I'm in good company

Old 02-23-2010, 04:22 PM

4,390 posts, read 4,219,599 times
That is kind of a good news bad news situation with the bad news being Catholics in Europe and America are dropping out like flies and little is being done to keep them in the flock.
Rome does not seem to care about those that fall off to the side, they just go after what they consider greener pastures be it members of the Anglican Union or splinter groups that have schismed such as Society of St. Pius X.
It seems Rome does not want to have any serious diologue with existing members of the Church; so much for being good shepherds.
This will come back to bite Rome in the a#$ because these new catholics are very poor and the Catholics they are losing have the money they need.
So they will close churches in the inner city and sell them for money and abandon the poor.
I always thought the main mission of the Church was to feed and clothe the hungry and poor.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:13 PM

880 posts, read 1,754,421 times
If you believe that I have some water front property 4 sale in the Arabian Desert

Old 02-26-2010, 11:27 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,210,998 times
Is this in western countries? I can not hardly believe it if it is

Old 02-26-2010, 03:51 PM

19,020 posts, read 25,556,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
That is kind of a good news bad news situation with the bad news being Catholics in Europe and America are dropping out like flies and little is being done to keep them in the flock.
Rome does not seem to care about those that fall off to the side, they just go after what they consider greener pastures be it members of the Anglican Union or splinter groups that have schismed such as Society of St. Pius X.
It seems Rome does not want to have any serious diologue with existing members of the Church; so much for being good shepherds.
This will come back to bite Rome in the a#$ because these new catholics are very poor and the Catholics they are losing have the money they need.
So they will close churches in the inner city and sell them for money and abandon the poor.
I always thought the main mission of the Church was to feed and clothe the hungry and poor.
I have to disagree with you, Ted.

Putting my business analyst cap on (since you spoke about money lying in the West), I'll have to say the West is of no use to the Vatican anymore. That's the future of world poverty.

Pork now lies in the East and Africa. The future of Catholicism is in Asia and Africa, I've been telling that since looooooooooong.

Those lost sheep you're talking about are lost coz they are happy with getting lost into the consumerism and materialism in their lives (translate as DEBT). It's high time Catholicism got back to where it belongs after the 1500 year pagan corruption

Also, I bet I can say this safely without getting hit. Religion is big business. The Vatican knows that. And guess what, business does not exist in the West anymore

What will exist in the West is going to be debt, anarchy and Islam.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:35 PM

What country contributes more money to the Vatican than the United States?
The U.S. is the goose that lays golden eggs for the Vatican.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:42 PM

I don't think it's the sheep that are lost, it's more like the shepherd has lost the sheep.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:43 PM

16,950 posts, read 22,263,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
What country contributes more money to the Vatican than the United States?
The U.S. is the goose that lays golden eggs for the Vatican.
What makes you think they're ignoring the U.S.? They're just not going to bend their beliefs to suit the far-left (who really don't give too much to the Church anyways). The West has become dominated by consumerism-materialism and a lack of faith, but, at the same time, in its greed for short-lived greater profits, has been sending its business to the rest of the world, and in the next century, will become insignificant without turning that situation around.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
What makes you think they're ignoring the U.S.? They're just not going to bend their beliefs to suit the far-left (who really don't give too much to the Church anyways). The West has become dominated by consumerism-materialism and a lack of faith, but, at the same time, in its greed for short-lived greater profits, has been sending its business to the rest of the world, and in the next century, will become insignificant without turning that situation around.
The U.S. has always been the ugly stepchild, even during the Civil War the Vatican supported the Confederacy and slavery.
And I didn't use the word ignore
Who or what do you consider to be "far-left" ?
"not going to bend their beliefs to suit the far-left " which beliefs are those exactly?
Are you saying Catholics in the United States have a lack of faith? Please do explain, lack of faith in comparison to what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or