Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 06:04 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times

Advertisements

Do you believe it's going to be the instant you die? If the answer is "yes," I'm wondering how you reconcile this answer with the timing of the Last Judgment, which is not going to take place until Christ begins His millennial reign. Is God going to welcome you to Heaven and then, a few hundred years after you've been there, going to tell you it's your turn to be judged? What would be the point of that? Why wouldn't you own "Last Judgment" be the instant you die?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 06:12 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,526,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Do you believe it's going to be the instant you die? If the answer is "yes," I'm wondering how you reconcile this answer with the timing of the Last Judgment, which is not going to take place until Christ begins His millennial reign. Is God going to welcome you to Heaven and then, a few hundred years after you've been there, going to tell you it's your turn to be judged? What would be the point of that? Why wouldn't you own "Last Judgment" be the instant you die?
I'm a Preterist so this one's easy. The judgment was for the sins under the old covenant.

Hebrews 9:15 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance--now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.

The new covenant is in full effect today.. therefore the judgment spoken of in Revelation is a past event and all the things listed in Jer. 31 are here now.

So the judgment is past which also means that the 1000 years is also past (which is not a literal 1000 years in the midst of all the other NON-literal things).

So when I die I will rejoin my maker. Immediately. IMO

Old 02-23-2010, 07:04 PM

823 posts, read 1,401,128 times
I believe that I will be close to heaven when I pass but feel that I will not be quite ready. I most likely will not have paid my last farthing. I believe that final judgement will come some time after and at that time souls will either have progressed enough spiritually to inhabit the Kingdom with God or they will have progressed enough out of darkness.

This means that a soul will either be with God in the Kingdom or they will at least be out of darkness. God will not let those suffer for all eternity. I believe the last judgement will be in the future. These are my thoughts.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I'm a Preterist so this one's easy.
I hate to plead ignorance, but I'm afraid I don't understand what that term means. Could you explain?

Quote:
...the judgment spoken of in Revelation is a past event
Is that what being a Preterist means?

Quote:
So when I die I will rejoin my maker. Immediately. IMO
Thank you! I disagree, but maybe that's because I'm not a Preterist.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post
I believe that I will be close to heaven when I pass but feel that I will not be quite ready. I most likely will not have paid my last farthing. I believe that final judgement will come some time after and at that time souls will either have progressed enough spiritually to inhabit the Kingdom with God or they will have progressed enough out of darkness.

This means that a soul will either be with God in the Kingdom or they will at least be out of darkness. God will not let those suffer for all eternity. I believe the last judgement will be in the future. These are my thoughts.
Interesting. That's kind of similar to what I believe. I believe that when I die, I'll be in Paradise, which I understand as being a state of peace and rest, but also as a place of continued spiritual growth. I believe that when we're in Paradise, we will exist as cognizant entities. We just won't have a physical body. We'll be able to continue to learn and grow and make choices which God will take into account at the Final Judgment.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:27 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Paul said absent from the body, present with the Lord. I have no doubt the moment I die (if the rapture doesn't happen first) I will be in the presence of Jesus.

Last edited by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA; 02-23-2010 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-23-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Paul said absent from the body, present with the Lord. I have no doubt the moment I die (if the rapture doesn't happen first) I will be in the presence of Jesus.
So when do you see the Final Judgment as taking place? And what is the point of it in your opinion?

Old 02-23-2010, 07:42 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So when do you see the Final Judgment as taking place? And what is the point of it in your opinion?
Christians will not be at the Great White Throne of Judgment because of Jesus. It is for unbelievers.

Last edited by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA; 02-23-2010 at 07:54 PM..

Old 02-23-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Christians will not be at the Great White Thorn of Judgment because of Jesus. It is for unbelievers.
Could you tell me where the Bible says this? I'm not aware that it does, but I could be wrong. Revelation 20:11-14 says, "And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death." Why do you think "every man" means only the unbelievers? Don't you believe that the righteous will be judged according to their works, too?

By the way, if you read this while there is still time, you might want to change "Great White Thorn" to "Great White Throne." Or was that a Freudian Slip?

Old 02-23-2010, 07:57 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
There is no awareness of the passage of time time in death..I think we shall remain in the grave until Christ presents his church/the bride to His Father then we will be changed in the" twinkling of an eye" from death into our eternal perfect spiritual bodies..So yes with no awareness of time passing we could say we will immeciately be in His presence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity