Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 03:05 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,403,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
Well imo, I think it is a wonderful post. I can relate to it in a lot of ways.
You poor kid...
Even I don't want to be me these days.

Quote:
The Lord Jesus has done so much change in my life, that I couldn't even begin to share.
I learned a lot here because someone took the time share with me.
The person I'm talking about (and she knows who she is)
has literally changed my life and taught me a lot about faith and God
without ever straying from the gospel, so I know it's all good.

Quote:
The testing are becoming more intensed and the battle for the flesh is raging against the spirit.
Your spirit will prevail!

I'm feeling old and tired these days, so I control the flesh pretty well,
but the world seems to be kicking my butt lately.

Quote:
But I see it is because my flesh is dying and my spirit is growing and becoming more and more indwelled with Christ Jesus.
That's the way to go.
Jesus will NEVER steer you wrong.

Quote:
That is worth it all....
It will be worth more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 04:22 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,815 times
ComputerGuy, good post. And take heart ... I think I'm safe in saying most of us have been where you are. The closer we get to God, the harder life seems to get. It's not constant, but it does happen just at the times we rededicate our lives or recommit to our purpose. This too shall pass and you will be a stronger person and a stronger Christian because of it.

Everyone's posts are inspiring. Thanks for your stories.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:31 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,403,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
ComputerGuy, good post. And take heart ... I think I'm safe in saying most of us have been where you are. The closer we get to God, the harder life seems to get. It's not constant, but it does happen just at the times we rededicate our lives or recommit to our purpose. .
I have faith!

It's like satan (lower case intentional) prizes us more...
(And that's probably the truth.)

Quote:
This too shall pass and you will be a stronger person and a stronger Christian because of it..
I know that...
It's what keeps me going in spite of it all.

Quote:
Everyone's posts are inspiring. Thanks for your stories.
I agree!

Old 12-10-2008, 06:50 PM

5,289 posts, read 1,233,054 times
These testimonies are great! I love reading about how my Lord is working so much in the lives of others. To think that He takes the time to invest in each of us is so amazing!

I was raised by 2 wonderful parents, with an older sister and a younger brother. I had great friends and we were all very involved in church. Aside from moving when the NAVY gave us the "opportunity" I had an idyllic childhood, and in fact I am privilaged to have been SO many places in my life.

When I graduated from H.S. I picked a "Christian" university (I won't name it), but it was Christian in name only. While there I was raped & tortured in my bedroom by 2 men w/ a gun (S&W .38- actually I have a piece very similar, but I wasn't allowed to bring on campus where I lived). I got pregnant from the rape, miscarried and tried to commit suicide.

But- even through all that, and all the anger that I directed toward God, HE refused to let go of me and give up on me. I transfered to a state school closer to where my parents were living (no longer with the NAVY). My 1st year there was basically spent trying to show GOD just how useless HE was and that since HE obviously didn't care enough to protect me, than I would live it up! Funny thing is-- God lets us make dumb choices, and I made a bunch of them that year, including dating a guy (and sleeping with) that I knew was abusive and bad news.

2nd year (junior year) there I started working for United Campus Ministry (an evangelical church ministry on many campuses, my chapter was headed by the UMC) and even became a student leader. I dumped the jerk, but he didn't take it well and got super drunk and came into my dorm room where my best friend and I were chilling and attacked the two of us.

That was my wake up call, when my choices came around to not only hurt me, but affect my best friend as well. It was that night, after dealing with the cops that I was sitting in my dorm alone and I grabbed my Bible and read it, not because I had to for work, but because I wanted the comfort it had to offer. I spent 4 hours reading the Psalms and Matthew. Then, in tears I got down on my knees and just wept before God.

That was the beginning of my journey back to Christ and to the point where I am today and that is totally in love with Christ! He has done so much for me, and was so patient with me, even though I yelled at Him, blamed Him for the evil that happened and did everything in my power to deny His role in my life.

It was on the 5th anniversary of my rape that I felt the Lord tugging at my heart to forgive the 2 men. They are out there somewhere (I didn't call the cops- tried to deny everything) and they need Christ as much as everyone else. Each night I pray that God will send someone that will share HIS love with them and that someday we can all be in Heaven together praising the Savior.

I've now dedicated my life to working with women/children that have been abused and helping them see that true healing comes only from God, everything else is only temporary, but by running to God we can have a peace and joy that passes understanding, that is incomprehensible in light of the evil of this world. We also have a hope that as Christians this world is as bad as it gets. It only gets SO MUCH better from here. Unfortunately for the non-believer this earth is as good as it gets, it only gets worse for them.

Oh my life has changed in so many ways. I have a joy that I didn't have before, a hope that with Christ I can make it through even the darkest nights, because I'm not doing it alone, I have a THE GUIDE by side. I also have this love for people that I can't quench, I just want to share Christ with everyone so that they too can experience what I get to experience daily. I also have a guide that tells me right from wrong and a desire to do what is HOLY in HIS eyes, because HE paid the ultimate price for me, and does so much for me each moment, that the least I can do is my best to live to HIS standards. Oh, and I enjoy sunrises and sunsets much more because I know the artist!

Anyway, that's me and more importantly that's GOD the Maker of all things and My Amazing Savior.

-ME-

Old 12-11-2008, 09:19 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
When I first obeyed the gospel, my life changed immediately. I had a totally new purpose in life. All fomer things were history, and all my sins were washed away. My total purpose in life was to serve God, and do His will. I have spent the past 42+ years doing so. Oh...there have been dark times...but my faith has carried me through. I even thank Him for my chronic pains. They help me identify more closely with others in pain; they keep me humble and closer to Him.
I have never had any desire to return to my former life. I have never felt as though I given up too much for Christ. I sometimes feel as though I should give up even more! I have been very blessed, although I am far from being wealthy, or in good health.
I have much better friends that I had before. Most of my present friends will be eternal....
I have so many more brothers and sisters than I ever had before, many, many that I have never met....but will eventually....
The greatest 'Brother' of all is My Lord Jesus Christ!

Old 12-11-2008, 12:28 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,568 times
Default Finding Peace

I have found a peace that is not like any other.

I have no desire to have more physicals things...therefore, I have more time to do what I truly want to do now...and that is to help others in any way I can. This has been my wish for many years now and I am finally realizing that I can do this and do my other "duties" also.

The Holy Spirit...Wow...what can I say.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:39 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
I have found a peace that is not like any other.

Oh yes!!! Definitely the peace that passes all understanding!!! Not a 'worldly' peace, but a spiritual peace.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:26 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Great thread.

I came from a busted home - lived with a fanatic, then a drunk, then a foster home, back with the fanatic...I never had a dad, so that hurt me emotionally and socially but spiritually I believe it helped me a great deal. (I didn't have the impression of what an earthly father was like, so my standards were perhaps higher.)

But I rebelled to the point of risking my life; my drug use put me in the hospital at one point, and I broke the law numerous times (theft mostly).

When I gave in to Him at 21, all the people I had been associating with suddenly stopped coming around - strange, but I didn't have to say "no" to anyone for several months. By then, I had literally drunk the book of Proverbs. The Lord delivered me from drugs immediately, and every Sunday morning while the class spent 15-20 minutes worshipping, I would spend 15-20 minutes sobbing - I could feel Him reaching into my chest and crushing the stone.

Much more, but that was the first few days.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:29 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
Let just say, I deserve hell.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:36 PM

777 posts, read 1,441,597 times
We all deserve hell.
But God is gracious. Even giving Himself in our stead.
"Therefore there is now no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus."

If He does not condemn His lambs and even His sheep, why should we feel condemned?

Our future is bright and everlasting, so we should feel grateful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity