U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-25-2010, 04:09 PM
 
20,299 posts, read 15,651,035 times
Reputation: 7409

Advertisements

This is a short article which refutes the heresy of Lordship salvation which is salvation by works. We are saved by the work of Jesus Christ on the Cross; not by our own works. We do not make Christ Lord. Jesus Christ IS Lord. A changed life should result from salvation and subsequent spiritual growth through study of the word of God. But a changed life does not result in eternal salvation. A change in what you think about Christ; 'Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved.', Acts 16:31 is what results in eternal life. Here is the link.

Dr. John R. Rice Refutes Lordship Salvation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-25-2010, 04:41 PM
 
3,553 posts, read 4,372,769 times
Reputation: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
This is a short article which refutes the heresy of Lordship salvation which is salvation by works. We are saved by the work of Jesus Christ on the Cross; not by our own works. We do not make Christ Lord. Jesus Christ IS Lord. A changed life should result from salvation and subsequent spiritual growth through study of the word of God. But a changed life does not result in eternal salvation. A change in what you think about Christ; 'Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved.', Acts 16:31 is what results in eternal life. Here is the link.

Dr. John R. Rice Refutes Lordship Salvation
You have actually discounted MOST of the NT by this nonsense. Read 32-34 of Acts 16 to understand.

You must believe IN your heart, so that the Truth can be HEARD in your heart. The result of which is what???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2010, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Texas
4,346 posts, read 5,568,240 times
Reputation: 843
"Salvation"
Hebrew:Y@shuw`ah
salvation, deliverance
  1. welfare, prosperity
  2. deliverance
  3. salvation (by God)
  4. victory
Primary root: Yasha' - TO BE LIBERATED

Greek:
Soteria

1. Deliverance, preservation, safety

Primary Root - Sozo - To rescue/heal/make complete/whole

Mike - since you still equate "salvation" with a free pass to never never land you completely miss the biblical usage. Salvation is a process of passing from spiritual darkness to light, from spiritual death to walk in the "paths of life". That process (to those preordained in this age) begins in this life.

Positionally and in principle (ie: in the light of eternity) yes, it's a done deal. But if one is yet a slave to sin (a disease which is only cured by manifested agape love through spiritual rebirth in Christ) then in a literal, practical sense "salvation" has not yet occurred.

"The last enemy to be destroyed is death". Then all will be restored and the gift of righteousness/salvation will have completed it's work.








Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2010, 06:03 PM
 
20,299 posts, read 15,651,035 times
Reputation: 7409
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
You have actually discounted MOST of the NT by this nonsense. Read 32-34 of Acts 16 to understand.

You must believe IN your heart, so that the Truth can be HEARD in your heart. The result of which is what???
You have not understood what was said. Once the issue of salvation is understood by the hearer of the Gospel through the ministry of the Holy Spirit, then he must make the decision to place his trust in Jesus Christ for salvation. In the Greek, there is no difference between a head belief and a heart belief. The mind is the NOUS which is the thinking part of the soul. The heart is the KARDIA which is the seat of the soul. All that is required is to understand the facts and then to trust in Christ based on those facts. And that means to cease from your own efforts in trying to earn your salvation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2010, 06:18 PM
 
20,299 posts, read 15,651,035 times
Reputation: 7409
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
"Salvation"
Hebrew:Y@shuw`ah
salvation, deliverance
  1. welfare, prosperity
  2. deliverance
  3. salvation (by God)
  4. victory
Primary root: Yasha' - TO BE LIBERATED

Greek:
Soteria

1. Deliverance, preservation, safety

Primary Root - Sozo - To rescue/heal/make complete/whole

Mike - since you still equate "salvation" with a free pass to never never land you completely miss the biblical usage. Salvation is a process of passing from spiritual darkness to light, from spiritual death to walk in the "paths of life". That process (to those preordained in this age) begins in this life.

Positionally and in principle (ie: in the light of eternity) yes, it's a done deal. But if one is yet a slave to sin (a disease which is only cured by manifested agape love through spiritual rebirth in Christ) then in a literal, practical sense "salvation" has not yet occurred.

"The last enemy to be destroyed is death". Then all will be restored and the gift of righteousness/salvation will have completed it's work.








There is no universal salvation. Most of the human race will spend eternity in the lake of fire.

As for your other statement, I was very clear that salvation is a separate issue from the spiritual life after salvation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2010, 06:26 PM
 
Location: East Coast
30,182 posts, read 19,976,834 times
Reputation: 2107
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
"Salvation"
Hebrew:Y@shuw`ah

salvation, deliverance
  1. welfare, prosperity
  2. deliverance
  3. salvation (by God)
  4. victory
Primary root: Yasha' - TO BE LIBERATED


Greek: Soteria

1. Deliverance, preservation, safety

Primary Root - Sozo - To rescue/heal/make complete/whole

Mike - since you still equate "salvation" with a free pass to never never land you completely miss the biblical usage. Salvation is a process of passing from spiritual darkness to light, from spiritual death to walk in the "paths of life". That process (to those preordained in this age) begins in this life.

Positionally and in principle (ie: in the light of eternity) yes, it's a done deal. But if one is yet a slave to sin (a disease which is only cured by manifested agape love through spiritual rebirth in Christ) then in a literal, practical sense "salvation" has not yet occurred.

"The last enemy to be destroyed is death". Then all will be restored and the gift of righteousness/salvation will have completed it's work.







Amen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2010, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Texas
4,346 posts, read 5,568,240 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
There is no universal salvation. Most of the human race will spend eternity in the lake of fire.

As for your other statement, I was very clear that salvation is a separate issue from the spiritual life after salvation.
I wasn't really coming from a UR angle but you may want to do some of your own study of biblical words. If your still sick your not healed (made whole).

"It is not those who are well who need a physician, but those who are sick".

What good is a doctor who comes in and says "I forgive you for being ill"

Dr. Jesus has the cure!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2010, 06:45 PM
 
20,299 posts, read 15,651,035 times
Reputation: 7409
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I wasn't really coming from a UR angle but you may want to do some of your own study of biblical words. If your still sick your not healed (made whole).

"It is not those who are well who need a physician, but those who are sick".

What good is a doctor who comes in and says "I forgive you for being ill"

Dr. Jesus has the cure!!!!
This has nothing to do with the fact that salvation is through faith in Christ as opposed to trying to earn your salvation. That is the point of the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2010, 06:49 PM
 
3,553 posts, read 4,372,769 times
Reputation: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You have not understood what was said. Once the issue of salvation is understood by the hearer of the Gospel through the ministry of the Holy Spirit, then he must make the decision to place his trust in Jesus Christ for salvation. In the Greek, there is no difference between a head belief and a heart belief. The mind is the NOUS which is the thinking part of the soul. The heart is the KARDIA which is the seat of the soul. All that is required is to understand the facts and then to trust in Christ based on those facts. And that means to cease from your own efforts in trying to earn your salvation.
Ahh, ok. Well, isn't that what lordship salvation is?

I mean, if you truly believe in your heart, and love the King with all your heart, mind, body and soul,,,,,isn't the act of serving, what the basis of "lordship salvation" is all about?

If you do not serve, then technically,,,,are you saved? Isn't this what it, the Kingdom, is all about? If we serve God, and our King, and each other, then really, it isn't a works based salvation? I am refering to 1st John. I am also refering to the very words of Jesus Christ.

Easy believism is what is being taught today in the religious circles, and on the pulpits. Say a prayer, and "poof", you are saved. There is nowhere in scripture that teaches this heresy. "If" you are saved, then His thoughts become your thoughts. His actions become your actions. His ways are your ways. This is the "proof" of salvation, not the act of salvation. The act of salvation was done 1900+ years ago on the cross, by our King Jesus. Our acts show the fruits of our hearts, being transformed, by denying ourselves and picking up our crosses and following Him to Calvary,,,,,dying to ourselves and living for Him, and others.

Remember the words of our Lord....MANY will say to me on that day,,Lord, Lord. These are people who KNEW who the Lord is,,and did not do what? Instead they hear the most scariest words recorded in the NT...."DEPART FROM ME". In other words, no presense before the King means no presense before the Father. Hense,,,bye bye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2010, 06:51 PM
 
Location: God's Country
21,417 posts, read 29,545,781 times
Reputation: 29927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
This is a short article which refutes the heresy of Lordship salvation which is salvation by works. We are saved by the work of Jesus Christ on the Cross; not by our own works. We do not make Christ Lord. Jesus Christ IS Lord. A changed life should result from salvation and subsequent spiritual growth through study of the word of God. But a changed life does not result in eternal salvation. A change in what you think about Christ; 'Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved.', Acts 16:31 is what results in eternal life. Here is the link.

Dr. John R. Rice Refutes Lordship Salvation
You are correct! It's Jesus and ONLY Jesus!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top