Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 11:46 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,622,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
C'mon now Ilene. You know you're being facetious here my dear. No one is saying they can predict PRECISELY WHEN and [specifically] the EXACT spot where a quake will hit anymore than the Bible did or can. What scientist and observers do is predict quakes in HIGHLY stressed areas along fault lines around the earth. Chile just happens to be right on top one of those fault lines just like Haiti, California and Japan, amongst other places.

Chile has had THREE major quakes in 50 years and I 'm sure countless others in times long past. The folks there are well aware they HAVE, CAN and WILL happen and just because people died does not mean they were not aware. Unlike the poorer Haiti, Chile made improvements to their infrastructure to soften the damage. This does NOT eliminate the potential for deaths, however.
Well, you're the one who said they knew it was coming. I know what scientists do....I study these things also. My point with the story of my ex-husband is that no one can predict their demise....so if one is putting off becoming a Christian because they think they can't have fun anymore that's a pretty dangerous way to live.

I'm not saying you are putting off becoming a Christian....just that there are people doing just that because they don't want to be good. I feel my ex was well aware of what he was doing by ignoring God. But don't you think people do themselves a grave injustice by not at least investigating Christianity? Not just investigating, but humbling themselves enough to realize the world doesn't revolve around them and there's way more to life than just this one that we are aware of?

The unseen, not just the seen that lasts all of 70+ years?

2 Corinthians 4:18
So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 12:20 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Well, you're the one who said they knew it was coming. I know what scientists do....I study these things also.
They did. It's not hard to have predicted it. In fact, I am predicting another one and another and another and another and another at some point in the future. What day? I don't know. What year? I don't know. All I know, as long as the country sits on a fault line, at some point, they will get one.

Quote:
My point with the story of my ex-husband is that no one can predict their demise....so if one is putting off becoming a Christian because they think they can't have fun anymore that's a pretty dangerous way to live.

I'm not saying you are putting off becoming a Christian....just that there are people doing just that because they don't want to be good. I feel my ex was well aware of what he was doing by ignoring God. But don't you think people do themselves a grave injustice by not at least investigating Christianity? Not just investigating, but humbling themselves enough to realize the world doesn't revolve around them and there's way more to life than just this one that we are aware of?

The unseen, not just the seen that lasts all of 70+ years?
Again, my condolences about your ex, but 'not having fun anymore' is hardly a reason for me NOT to want to be a Christian.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:23 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
Quote:
Very good TS....I'd like to reiterate this with a sad story. The "take life easy; eat, drink and be merry" was the mantra for my ex-husband. He had a life philosophy of ignoring God and living it up by abusing alcohol and never taking anything seriously. Life was just one big party of alcohol and women.

And then there's Luke which should snap anyone back into reality....."YOU FOOL, this very night your life will be demanded from you".

Yesterday we got the news that my ex was killed in a car crash. He thought he was invincible and was full of the devil. It makes me so sad that he was not saved and would not listen to me or anyone else. I have every reason to wish the worst on him but I never did. I actually prayed for him on occasion and hoped for the best. This "VERY NIGHT" though, our lives could be demanded from us!! How arrogant it is for us to think beyond this very night in terms of our eternal destiny.
Ilene.....wow
Sometimes we only think of judgement day as some day in the future. But our death is our personal judgement day.
I'm so sorry to hear this.
Twin

Old 02-28-2010, 02:13 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Insane, I'm questioning your motives for this thread

Old 02-28-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Insane, I'm questioning your motives for this thread
When you find it let me know.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Ilene.....wow
Sometimes we only think of judgement day as some day in the future. But our death is our personal judgement day.
I'm so sorry to hear this.
Twin
Thanks TS......My son is flying out for his memorial service on Saturday. He's not that affected by his death because he didn't even know him.....another thing he will have to answer for.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Again, my condolences about your ex, but 'not having fun anymore' is hardly a reason for me NOT to want to be a Christian
Now you know as well as I do that's not what I meant. I mean people don't want to be held accountable to anything or anyone so it's just easier to say there is no such thing as sin and deny God. Just what the devil wants.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Now you know as well as I do that's not what I meant. I mean people don't want to be held accountable to anything or anyone so it's just easier to say there is no such thing as sin and deny God. Just what the devil wants.
That's a seriously flawed misconception there Ilene. People denying god (as you put it) are not all doing it because they don't want to be held accountable. There are far more viable reasons to reject the notion of a deity or one version over another. People are held accountable by their family, friends, the laws and themselves. I won't deny there are not people out there who grew up in Christian influenced homes or areas who don't feel some guilt enjoying a beer (which I don't drink), going out to a party, having sex [responsible] with someone they actually love or refusing to go to church. If they are not breaking any laws or spitefully hurting someone they should be able to have as much fun as they want.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
That's a seriously flawed misconception there Ilene. People denying god (as you put it) are not all doing it because they don't want to be held accountable. There are far more viable reasons to reject the notion of a deity or one version over another. People are held accountable by their family, friends, the laws and themselves. I won't deny there are not people out there who grew up in Christian influenced homes or areas who don't feel some guilt enjoying a beer (which I don't drink), going out to a party, having sex [responsible] with someone they actually love or refusing to go to church. If they are not breaking any laws or spitefully hurting someone they should be able to have as much fun as they want.
I don't think it's flawed at all. I know there are many reasons that people give but it all boils down to not wanting to be held accountable to God.

But hey, each and everyone of us has a choice and if one chooses to do all the things you listed above then that's their right to do so. I've never said those things would send someone to hell because I don't know that. But I do know the things that the Bible says will and the most important one is denying Jesus Christ. That's the ultimate deal breaker.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I don't think it's flawed at all. I know there are many reasons that people give but it all boils down to not wanting to be held accountable to God.
Your choice to believe this Ilene. Your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity