Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 09:12 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times

Advertisements

Universalism still makes the claim that Jesus is the only way for salvation and yet there are atheists that use the universalist reconciliation argument to refute that Jesus is the only way

and I quote "So the next time a Christian suggests to you that you need Jesus and Christianity in order to be saved, it might be worth bringing up a few passages like those above in response. Find out why they think Universalism is false."

The Bible & Universal Salvation: Will Everyone Be Saved Or Only A Few?

So which is it? Does this idea violate the law of non-contradiction and if it does then how can the universalist still hold on to the claim that Jesus is the ONLY way because He clearly cannot be the ONLY way if one fully understands the doctrine of salvation or do universalist have a different understanding of Christology than orthodox Christianity?

Old 03-05-2010, 09:29 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
The covenant with man through the work of Calvary is applied to every man - what's so contradictory about that?

I don't understand the argument on that site - the passages quoted state that it is through the cross we are saved...enlighten me.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:38 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,521,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
The covenant with man through the work of Calvary is applied to every man - what's so contradictory about that?

I don't understand the argument on that site - the passages quoted state that it is through the cross we are saved...enlighten me.
I agree.. if the event on the cross applied to all people (Jesus died to save the WORLD so that ALL men come to God through him...) then ALL people go through Christ...

I don't see the conflict either.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:54 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,332,882 times
this page is worth to read:

The Path of Truth

Old 03-05-2010, 10:04 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Of course there is a contradiction. How can one say that ALL PEOPLE will go to heaven, and at the same time say they need Christ to go to heaven? It is illogical.

It is one or the other. If ALL PEOPLE go to heaven, then there is no condition and nothing else needed, no Christ, no law, nothing.

This is the very reason many people reject Christ. They don't think they need him since ALL PEOPLE are going to heaven with or without Christ.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Of course there is a contradiction. How can one say that ALL PEOPLE will go to heaven, and at the same time say they need Christ to go to heaven? It is illogical.

It is one or the other. If ALL PEOPLE go to heaven, then there is no condition and nothing else needed, no Christ, no law, nothing.

This is the very reason many people reject Christ. They don't think they need him since ALL PEOPLE are going to heaven with or without Christ.
Obviously you don't understand how universal salvation works...

Christ's death saved all... therefore all are saved through Christ...

ALL people HAVE BEEN saved by the blood of Christ..

The problem is that you think Christ didn't die for the world but only those that acknowledge what he did...

Acknowledgment or not Christ did it once and for all.. no more sacrifice can be done for sins. Now instead of thinking what you do about universal salvation (even though many have tried to tell you this) why not believe what comes from a universalist's (me) lips about what a universalist believes rather than what you are doing (misrepresenting our beliefs willingly) after being told over and over what those beliefs are.

You propose to tell me what I believe?

I will tell you what I believe as a universalist and then you can never say I believe otherwise... sound fair (that goes for universalists that post in agreement to this post)?

I believe that Christ died on the cross for the sins of all who lived, were living, and will live (made them whole). It is done. If and when you acknowledge that Christ erased your sin you will live knowing God and Christ (have eternal life), a guilt-free conscience, and the freedom not to remain in sin. Therefore everyone MUST go through Christ since it was through Christ they are made whole. For some it takes a lifetime, for some only a few years.... ALL will be drawn to God at some point because God will make sure of it - He will get what he wills---for ALL MEN to come to him. Yet the actual saving from sin was complete ("It is finished") on the cross.

Now, given that, can you rightly say that Christ plays no part in universal salvation?

Old 03-05-2010, 11:43 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Obviously you don't understand how universal salvation works...

Christ's death saved all... therefore all are saved through Christ...

ALL people HAVE BEEN saved by the blood of Christ..
All people have already been saved, and therefore they will enter heaven with or without further need for Christ. They don't need Christ anymore. It's all done, so don't worry about anything. That is the deception of universalism.

Yes, I know exactly what universalism is. It is a false teaching and it keeps people thinking they don't need Christ.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 03-05-2010 at 12:07 PM..

Old 03-05-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
All people have already been saved, and therefore they will enter heaven with or without Christ. They don't need Christ anymore. It's all done, so don't worry about anything. That is the deception of universalism.

Yes, I know exactly what universalism is. It is a false teaching and it keeps people thinking they don't need Christ.
I just told you what I believe and you are twisting it again...

People -through Christ- Salvation....

Old 03-05-2010, 12:07 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I just told you what I believe and you are twisting it again...

People -through Christ- Salvation....

Exactly.

And EVERY KNEE will bow and every tongue will SWEAR ALLEGIANCE....

He will be ALL in ALL.

Our Father's plan is 100% perfect.
I'm sorry some cannot yet see this beautiful truth.
But... even that is part of His plan.

peace.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:08 PM

3 posts, read 5,964 times
Default I looked

I went on the site you added to your post. I wanted to give your view a chance at least. I read the passages outlined in the article; but they had no substance. On there own any passage can be taken out of context. You must read on, and you must read other parts of your bible to get a true understanding. Not to mention you must pray and request true meaning. Jesus will bring each person back from the dead. The bible makes it abundantly clear that all will bow and worship him. In several passages in both the old testament and the new the bible also makes it clear that he will separate the wheat from the chaff. What you do with what you make of the text is entirely your business; but I would stop and ask myself, "if God sacrificed His only son for the people of this world, what could I ever do to repay that debt". What would you allow someone to pay you before you sacrificed your only child? If the answer is nothing, which is my answer, and you can never "buy" this debt, then for any that accept it it is a gift. If God then gave the gift to the world of His only son, and you or anyone doesn't accept the gift of this sacrifice why would He accept them into His Kingdom. Another way I have found to look at is this way. God cannot look at sin. So there was always a sacrifice to cleanse people, through faith, so that God could see them. But these sacrifices were only symbols of the sacrifice to come. No one could live by the laws and the standards God, and He already knew that was going to be the case. So He offered the perfect bridge from this sin filled world to His perfect existence! Amen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity