U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-02-2010, 06:54 PM

6,805 posts, read 4,813,090 times

Advertisements

What is your understanding about the difference between life/zoe and life/bios?

I'm wondering if zoe is exclusive to spiritual life or if it can also be used the same as bios for physical life...

Thanks in advance.

Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 07:12 PM

10,687 posts, read 5,177,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
What is your understanding about the difference between life/zoe and life/bios?

I'm wondering if zoe is exclusive to spiritual life or if it can also be used the same as bios for physical life...

Thanks in advance.
Please give a verse where bios is used.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:57 PM

7,374 posts, read 4,450,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Please give a verse where bios is used.

Ask and ye shall receive ...

βίος

Life -
Luk 8:14,1Ti 2:2,2Ti 2:4,1Pe 4:3,1Jo 2:16

Living -
Mar 12:44,Luk 8:43,Luk 15:12,Luk 15:30,Luk 21:4

Good -
1Jo 3:17

God bless ...

Old 03-02-2010, 08:01 PM

4,345 posts, read 3,715,470 times
It seems to be psuche as opposed to zoe, right? Jesus laid down His "psuche" life to bring us "zoe" life.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Ask and ye shall receive ...

βίος

Life -
Luk 8:14,1Ti 2:2,2Ti 2:4,1Pe 4:3,1Jo 2:16

Living -
Mar 12:44,Luk 8:43,Luk 15:12,Luk 15:30,Luk 21:4

Good -
1Jo 3:17

God bless ...
Thanks...

Old 03-02-2010, 08:17 PM

10,687 posts, read 5,177,398 times
Thank you ironmaw.
In the Greek New Testament I can only find BION (used 7x) and BIOY (used 3x) and in all cases the Concordant Literal New Testament translates BION and BIOY as "livelihood"

In the concordance of the CLNT under BIOS it has:

livelihood, means of subsistence, life, in its historical aspect 1Tim.2:2 as distince from life as the expression of vital energy Luke 8:14, living 1Jn.2:16.

(Mar 12:44) For all cast out of their superfluity, yet she, out of her want, cast in all, as much as she had - her whole livelihood."

(Luk 8:43) And a woman, having a hemorrhage for twelve years, whose whole livelihood is being consumed by physicians, is not strong enough to be cured by anyone."

(Luk 15:12) And the younger of them said to the father, 'Father, give me the part of the estate accruing to me.' Now he apportioned to them the livelihood."

(Luk 15:30) Yet when this son of yours came, who is devouring your livelihood with prostitutes, you sacrifice for him the grain-fed calf!'"

(Luk 21:4) For all these cast out of their superfluity into the approach presents of God, yet this woman, out of her want, casts in all the livelihood which she had."

(2Ti 2:4) No one who is warring is involved in the business of a livelihood, that he should be pleasing the one who enlists him."

(1Jo 3:17) Now whoever may be having a livelihood in this world, and may be beholding his brother having need, and should be locking his compassions from him - how is the love of God remaining in him?

Also from the CLNT concordance:
ZOE
life, the activity of spirit, expecially as manifested
in the organic creation. All things have existence,
plants and animals have life, intensive sense of
immortality in such phrases as the resurrection of life, as
resurrection itself implies life.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
It seems to be psuche as opposed to zoe, right? Jesus laid down His "psuche" life to bring us "zoe" life.
Well maybe I missed one....

Psuche seems to mean life, mind, heart, person or soul... so I guess it would be a "life" word too.

I don't know how similar it is to the other two but I'm curious to know if there are cut and dry lines where these terms mean physical life as opposed to spiritual life.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Thank you ironmaw.
In the Greek New Testament I can only find BION (used 7x) and BIOY (used 3x) and in all cases the Concordant Literal New Testament translates BION and BIOY as "livelihood"

In the concordance of the CLNT under BIOS it has:

livelihood, means of subsistence, life, in its historical aspect 1Tim.2:2 as distince from life as the expression of vital energy Luke 8:14, living 1Jn.2:16.

(Mar 12:44) For all cast out of their superfluity, yet she, out of her want, cast in all, as much as she had - her whole livelihood."

(Luk 8:43) And a woman, having a hemorrhage for twelve years, whose whole livelihood is being consumed by physicians, is not strong enough to be cured by anyone."

(Luk 15:12) And the younger of them said to the father, 'Father, give me the part of the estate accruing to me.' Now he apportioned to them the livelihood."

(Luk 15:30) Yet when this son of yours came, who is devouring your livelihood with prostitutes, you sacrifice for him the grain-fed calf!'"

(Luk 21:4) For all these cast out of their superfluity into the approach presents of God, yet this woman, out of her want, casts in all the livelihood which she had."

(2Ti 2:4) No one who is warring is involved in the business of a livelihood, that he should be pleasing the one who enlists him."

(1Jo 3:17) Now whoever may be having a livelihood in this world, and may be beholding his brother having need, and should be locking his compassions from him - how is the love of God remaining in him?

Also from the CLNT concordance:
ZOE
life, the activity of spirit, expecially as manifested
in the organic creation. All things have existence,
plants and animals have life, intensive sense of
immortality in such phrases as the resurrection of life, as
resurrection itself implies life.
So bios is basically the substance that we live on? Like money, food that sort of thing? is it wealth? because I read somewhere that it is the root word for the English "biology" The study of living things... so I was wondering how that differed from zoe life and I guess psuche as well...

(still not sure where it was I read it but Websters states: Greek bio-, bio- + Greek -logiā, -logy)

Old 03-02-2010, 09:14 PM

4,345 posts, read 3,715,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Well maybe I missed one....

Psuche seems to mean life, mind, heart, person or soul... so I guess it would be a "life" word too.

I don't know how similar it is to the other two but I'm curious to know if there are cut and dry lines where these terms mean physical life as opposed to spiritual life.
Psuche seems to be more the word used in the N.T. for what we would call 'bios' - ie: physical life.

All references to eternal life or the living God and God is the God of the 'living', abundant life etc. uses "Zoe". What really caught my attention is that Jesus laid down "psuche" for us.

In the N.T. 'bios' seems to be used more along the lines of sustenance, to make a 'living'.

I do believe it is the root word for the English "biology" but 'bios' means something a bit different - more like that which comprises life.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Psuche seems to be more the word used in the N.T. for what we would call 'bios' - ie: physical life.

All references to eternal life or the living God and God is the God of the 'living', abundant life etc. uses "Zoe". What really caught my attention is that Jesus laid down "psuche" for us.

In the N.T. 'bios' seems to be used more along the lines of sustenance, to make a 'living'.

I do believe it is the root word for the English "biology" but 'bios' means something a bit different - more like that which comprises life.
Ok well that makes sense I guess. It's just that I found it odd that bio + logia (from logos) together means the study of life and life processes.. or something similar because looking at logia it doesn't really seem to mean study...

Anyway.. thanks for your help.

I too find it odd or interesting that he laid down his "psuche" for us. How does that work? I thought psuche was like spirit or breath but I guess it can mean living person too eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity